Card Suggestions?

HorseMonkey13

Hey folks! I though it had settled on a good graphics card, but I made the mistake of continuing to look around. lol This will be quick though.

What $300-ish card would you awesome folks recommend? I'm planning on getting a Ryzen 7 1700, so I feel like an AMD graphics card would be best suited for it, but I'm open for pretty much any suggestions. I also plan on playing primarily H1Z1 King of the Kill, Escape from Tarkov, and Fallout 4 & Skyrim Special Edition both decently modded. Of course I'll play a wide variety of games like Call of Cthulhu, Agony, League of Legends, Call of Duty, and so on, but the previously mentioned ones are what I'll play most.

I'm not looking specifically for a fancy card that can push 4K, or one that can give me crazy 200fps on some games, because I'm actually using a TV for the monitor. (I know. I'm getting a proper one later.) I would just like to have something that can do fantastic at 1080p\60hz. If it has the capabilities to push past that into 1440p, or give me like 120fps when I get a proper monitor, then hey, that's just swell.

Thanks! :D

1 minute ago, HorseMonkey13 said:

Hey folks! I though it had settled on a good graphics card, but I made the mistake of continuing to look around. lol This will be quick though.

What $300-ish card would you awesome folks recommend? I'm planning on getting a Ryzen 7 1700, so I feel like an AMD graphics card would be best suited for it, but I'm open for pretty much any suggestions. I also plan on playing primarily H1Z1 King of the Kill, Escape from Tarkov, and Fallout 4 & Skyrim Special Edition both decently modded. Of course I'll play a wide variety of games like Call of Cthulhu, Agony, League of Legends, Call of Duty, and so on, but the previously mentioned ones are what I'll play most.

I'm not looking specifically for a fancy card that can push 4K, or one that can give me crazy 200fps on some games, because I'm actually using a TV for the monitor. (I know. I'm getting a proper one later.) I would just like to have something that can do fantastic at 1080p\60hz. If it has the capabilities to push past that into 1440p, or give me like 120fps when I get a proper monitor, then hey, that's just swell.

Thanks! :D

XFX GTR RX 480

Sapphire R9 fury

GTX 1070 on sale

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

gtx 1070 on sale 

480 sli on sale 

a r9 fury on sale 

On sale where? o_O

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

gtx 1070 on sale 

480 sli on sale 

a r9 fury on sale 

480 SLI??? is it GTX 480 in SLI or RX 480 Crossfire

Main Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6GHz, Stock Cooler

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B350 F Gaming motherboard

RAM: 32GB(4x8GB) Team T-FORCE Night Hawk RGB 3000MHz DDR4

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4070ti 12GB

STORAGE: 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 240GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD

CASE: Montech King 95 Pro

PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1000W

Monitor: Samsung Oddessy G6 27" 1440p, Viewsonic VX2455 144Hz

Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse

Keyboard: ASUS Flare II Animate

Headphones: HyperX Cloud Alpha S Black

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast S

WIFI: ASUS PCE-AC55BT

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/johnno12/saved/gKgD23

Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 15-5000

CPU: i5-8250U Quadcore with hypertheading

GPU: AMD Radeon 540 4GB Hybrid Graphics

Storage: Micron 1100 SATA 256GB SSD

1 minute ago, johnno124 said:

480 SLI??? is it GTX 480 in SLI or RX 480 Crossfire

crossfire 

2 minutes ago, HorseMonkey13 said:

On sale where? o_O

amazon

newegg 

other retailers i am too lazy to list 

local stores 

That XFX 480 looks good, especially with a title like "Black Edition". lol

Would I be better off saving a little extra coin, and shooting for something around the $350-$400 range? Or would I not really see that big of a difference performance wise?

12 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

crossfire 

amazon

newegg 

other retailers i am too lazy to list 

local stores 

Would you suggest saving for a card in the $350-$400 range, or is the performance difference not that great?

Just now, HorseMonkey13 said:

Would you suggest saving for a card in the $350-$400 range, or is the performance difference not that great?

depends on the card, yes a 1070 would be worth getting for 144fps 1080p. 

5 minutes ago, HorseMonkey13 said:

That XFX 480 looks good, especially with a title like "Black Edition". lol

Would I be better off saving a little extra coin, and shooting for something around the $350-$400 range? Or would I not really see that big of a difference performance wise?

A 1070 would be better than all previous cards mentioned, you can pick up decent ones for around $380 which would be better for 1440p of you plan on going for that later on, at the moment on your TV it wouldn't make a mass difference but it would be better when you go for a monitor     

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

depends on the card, yes a 1070 would be worth getting for 144fps 1080p. 

Is that an AMD type card? Not a huge deal if it isn't, for some reason I just feel like I should get an AMD card with getting the Ryzen. I'll have to use newegg to look at 1070s. I've been stuck on Amazon because I have Prime, but I can tell that's not the overall best place sometimes.

Just now, HorseMonkey13 said:

Is that an AMD type card? Not a huge deal if it isn't, for some reason I just feel like I should get an AMD card with getting the Ryzen. I'll have to use newegg to look at 1070s. I've been stuck on Amazon because I have Prime, but I can tell that's not the overall best place sometimes.

when choosing a gpu for whichever GPU gives you the best performance and value, i suggest you wait for a sale before jumping in, right now a 1070 goes for 370 or 380 so save a bit more. 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

when choosing a gpu for whichever GPU gives you the best performance and value, i suggest you wait for a sale before jumping in, right now a 1070 goes for 370 or 380 so save a bit more. 

Alright. I'll save a bit more. While I'm not sure I'll be gaming at 1440p anytime soon, if at all, I know that I will be wanting something that I can crank everything up to ultra at 1080p, and getting well, if not a good bit, above 60fps. I heard the XFX RX 480 GTR was good for that, but if the 1070 can do it better, I'll try and get that. Thanks for all the help!

12 minutes ago, HorseMonkey13 said:

Alright. I'll save a bit more. While I'm not sure I'll be gaming at 1440p anytime soon, if at all, I know that I will be wanting something that I can crank everything up to ultra at 1080p, and getting well, if not a good bit, above 60fps. I heard the XFX RX 480 GTR was good for that, but if the 1070 can do it better, I'll try and get that. Thanks for all the help!

rx 480- 1080p 60 fps or higher 

1070- 144 1080p or 1440p 60

13 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

rx 480- 1080p 60 fps or higher 

1070- 144 1080p or 1440p 60

I was told that the 480 would be nice if I wasn't looking to upgrade my card for like 3 years, because AMD is good at updating old cards, or something like that. Would you happen to know if I can max out most, if not all, games currently out at 1080p\60fps with a 480? Like For Honor, Doom, and similar new releases? Or is the 1070 going to be just flat out better in every way for that same 3 year time period?

2 minutes ago, HorseMonkey13 said:

I was told that the 480 would be nice if I wasn't looking to upgrade my card for like 3 years, because AMD is good at updating old cards, or something like that. Would you happen to know if I can max out most, if not all, games currently out at 1080p\60fps with a 480? Like For Honor, Doom, and similar new releases? Or is the 1070 going to be just flat out better in every way for that same 3 year time period?

3 years is a long time, no guarantee but amd has better driver support in the long run.  

13 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

That was a really good video. So AMD tends to do better in the long run. Hmmm. That definitely adds another layer to this whole deal. lol Esepcially since it looks like they turn around and preform better than their counterparts.

The 1070 with 8GB would still be an outright beffier and better purchase I'm thinking though?

How long would you recommend waiting until updating the graphics card?

rx480 8gb 

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

12 minutes ago, CatXice said:

rx480 8gb 

Is there a big difference between the XXX and Black Edition of the RX 480? I see them both on newegg, and the Black Edition has a 1338hz core clock, while the XXX has a 1288hz one. As someone that doesn't understand core clocks, or how to overclock a graphics card, does that make much of a difference? Is it easy to overclock a card, and if it is, can I overclock the Black Edition to go even a tiny bit higher?

1 minute ago, HorseMonkey13 said:

Is there a big difference between the XXX and Black Edition of the RX 480? I see them both on newegg, and the Black Edition has a 1338hz core clock, while the XXX has a 1288hz one. As someone that doesn't understand core clocks, or how to overclock a graphics card, does that make much of a difference? Is it easy to overclock a card, and if it is, can I overclock the Black Edition to go even a tiny bit higher?

just OC then your self make sure there the custom cooler card thought the twin 90mm hard swap-able fans i have the rs XXX model

using the global watt man the OC on the card is sooooo easy a monkey could do it

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat