just built pc , cant get into bios, HELP

joel1210

so i helped my brother build a new pc and its all done but when im about to start it for the first time, i plug in the monitor and a keyboard (usb) it shows the asus gamer screen then goes in to american megatrends and reads all the hardware. but when i want to get into the bios it says press f2 or delete and when i do so nothing happens it just goes into the american megatrends screen agian. first i thought the keyboard did not want work even though i use it for my pc so i swapped it but even with another keyboard it does not work. i tried pressing Ctrl alt delete and the pc restarts then so i know it recognizes somehting about the keyboard, i dont know if this is the right place to ask but if anyone knows what i could do to get into the bios and or just get windows installing anyother way please help.

//joel

2 minutes ago, joel1210 said:

so i helped my brother build a new pc and its all done but when im about to start it for the first time, i plug in the monitor and a keyboard (usb) it shows the asus gamer screen then goes in to american megatrends and reads all the hardware. but when i want to get into the bios it says press f2 or delete and when i do so nothing happens it just goes into the american megatrends screen agian. first i thought the keyboard did not want work even though i use it for my pc so i swapped it but even with another keyboard it does not work. i tried pressing Ctrl alt delete and the pc restarts then so i know it recognizes somehting about the keyboard, i dont know if this is the right place to ask but if anyone knows what i could do to get into the bios and or just get windows installing anyother way please help.

//joel

take off RAM and replace RAM again.

Try with 1 ram stick also

so there is only 1 stick of ram in the pc a 8gb ddr4 from corsair, are you say that i try putting the ram in a diffrent slot?

also when i get into the american megatrends screen all the parts are listen, cpu, ram, both harddrives (ssd and hhd)

specs?

did you try "spamming" the DEL button? (one of my Asus mobo needs me to spam the button to get into the BIOS)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

so the specs are gpu asus rog 1060 8gb oc, motherboard asus strix z270f gaming atx/z270, psu cx 750w 80plus bronze, ram corsair vengeance lpx 8gb 2666 mhz DDR4, cpu i5 7600k, ssd 850 evo 250gb , hhd western blue 1tb

4 minutes ago, joel1210 said:

so the specs are gpu asus rog 1060 8gb oc, motherboard asus strix z270f gaming atx/z270, psu cx 750w 80plus bronze, ram corsair vengeance lpx 8gb 2666 mhz DDR4, cpu i5 7600k, ssd 850 evo 250gb , hhd western blue 1tb

If you get a display, the GPU is working and so is the rest of the hardware (CPU/RAM/PSU/etc...)...for the most part.

As Paul said above, start up the PC and spam the delete key.

but if it recognizes all the hardware when it reaches the american megatrends screen and lists the cpu the ram the hdd and ssd nothing could be broken then right?

5 minutes ago, joel1210 said:

but if it recognizes all the hardware when it reaches the american megatrends screen and lists the cpu the ram the hdd and ssd nothing could be broken then right?

...on the surface, no.  The hardware seems to be working.

Is the motherboard used by any chance?  You might want to try resetting the BIOS in that case.  This reverts any changed BIOS settings to default.

Does spamming "delete" not work?  I don't mean pressing it twice.... I mean pressing it 20 or so times... through the entire initial boot process.

all the hardware that was listed is New from the store spamming the Del key does not work i can try agian but dought it will make a difference , if i were to reset the bios how does one do that? i mean i cant get into the bios anyhow thats the issue

1 minute ago, joel1210 said:

all the hardware that was listed is New from the store spamming the Del key does not work i can try agian but dought it will make a difference , if i were to reset the bios how does one do that? i mean i cant get into the bios anyhow thats the issue

Refer to the manual.  You can change position of the jumper, or remove the battery or press a button... while the PSU is unplugged from the wall.  Check the manual.

CMOS is what you are resetting.

2 minutes ago, joel1210 said:

reset the BIOS = clear CMOS

there's a jumper somewhere on the motherboard for that, the motherboard manual should have the directions. Or you can always pop out the battery for a few seconds while the PSU is unplugged.

EDIT: damn you @stconquest ... I'm not fast enough! xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

reset the BIOS = clear CMOS

there's a jumper somewhere on the motherboard for that, the motherboard manual should have the directions. Or you can always pop out the battery for a few seconds while the PSU is unplugged.

EDIT: damn you @stconquest ... I'm not fast enough! xD

You're busy.  I see you posting everywhere.  ;)

5 minutes ago, joel1210 said:

What did the American Megatrends screen say?

Usually for ASUS, it's like "New CPU installed" at the way bottom

and you have to press F1 to enter setup. (Then after that, it goes to being the DEL key)

so the mega trends screen just lists all the parts then it just says if i have the usb with windows on it plugged in that it sees the usb but that i need to enter bios to do anything with it and that the system will restart in 15 sec

so what will happen if i take out the cmos lithium battery ? im kinda scared of doing so

33 minutes ago, joel1210 said:

so the mega trends screen just lists all the parts then it just says if i have the usb with windows on it plugged in that it sees the usb but that i need to enter bios to do anything with it and that the system will restart in 15 sec

I am confident that all the hardware is working.  I really don't have the particular experience with your motherboard to guide you further.  Did you try what Scotty recommended above?

If no one can help you figure it out here, I recommend contacting ASUS directly.

32 minutes ago, joel1210 said:

so what will happen if i take out the cmos lithium battery ? im kinda scared of doing so

Given the motherboard's level of tech, I don't think you need to do that.  Is that the only method that the manual suggests? 

Make sure you unplug the power supply from the wall before you attempt this.  Removing the battery is harmless, don't be worried about it.

I am doing a quick search to see if I can find any information that might help you out.

You might have a CLR CMOS button on the board... a red one:  https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1030210/

...or just use the jumper method.

i have reset the cmos same thing happens again now :/ any ideas?

6 minutes ago, joel1210 said:

i have reset the cmos same thing happens again now :/ any ideas?

Contact ASUS.

Guys I GOT IT TO WORK!, i started removing connectors and 1 by 1 and starting pc and once i got to the front pannel ones i removed the once leading to the front port usbs and started the pc and i was able to get into the bios! YAY im having issues now with windows not wanting to find the drive to install to but i think i will fix that but i got it to work! thank you all for the help <3

(but if you have any simple ideas to fix that to save me some time that would be awsome)