1080p Gaming - what is currently the cheapest cpu/gpu combo to stay at 60+ fps?

corevo

I'm not sure that this is the right section, but since my target is specifically 1080p gaming and would benefit from the input of other gamers, I figured this place is appropriate.

I'm building a new system with which I will mainly be gaming, with basic multitasking/internet use, and emulating some older consoles. I want to create a two monitor setup that will be able to game at 60+ fps on one screen very reliably. What CPU and GPU combo achieves this at the lowest cost/highest value? I would also want this system to last a few years so I don't want to use anything that is already outdated.

Some games I that I know I'll be playing a lot of are Skyrim Remastered, Cities: Skylines, GTA V, and Overwatch.

My initial thought is i5 7600(not k) and RX 470 8GB. Or something Ryzen.

2 minutes ago, corevo said:

I'm not sure that this is the right section, but since my target is specifically 1080p gaming and would benefit from the input of other gamers, I figured this place is appropriate.

I'm building a new system with which I will mainly be gaming, with basic multitasking/internet use, and emulating some older consoles. I want to create a two monitor setup that will be able to game at 60+ fps on one screen very reliably. What CPU and GPU combo achieves this at the lowest cost/highest value? I would also want this system to last a few years so I don't want to use anything that is already outdated.

Some games I that I know I'll be playing a lot of are Skyrim Remastered, Cities: Skylines, GTA V, and Overwatch.

My initial thought is i5 7600(not k) and RX 470 8GB. Or something Ryzen.

Probably go ryzen R5 as you say, im not convinced a 470 will get you 60FPS + though

What is your budget and location? GTAV is the only real hard game there and it would probably benefit from the extra threads/cores of ryzen

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, stealth80 said:

Probably go ryzen R5 as you say, im not convinced a 470 will get you 60FPS + though

What is your budget and location? GTAV is the only real hard game there and it would probably benefit from the extra threads/cores of ryzen

Thanks for the reply.

My budget is flexible but probably around $1000 USD. I'd like to spend less if I can do so and still achieve my target of 60 fps at 1080p. And yeah that list isn't very demanding but I want to have the capability to play something new and AAA if something awesome comes out. 

Seems like Ryzen will be a great value but I'd like to get input on the options that are currently available just in case.

If you really want to pinch pennies I would buy an older i5 /i7 maybe i3 pre built and slap in a 1050ti. You can find thease pre biults cheap on ebay.  

Some Ryzen R5 and a 1060 or 480 should do you fine. But of course you gotta wait for benchmarks and for it to really launch

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

Some Ryzen R5 and a 1060 or 480 should do you fine. But of course you gotta wait for benchmarks and for it to really launch

Yeah that makes sense but I fear a delayed launch (:() of R5 so I'm looking at my alternative options. 

1 minute ago, corevo said:

Yeah that makes sense but I fear a delayed launch (:() of R5 so I'm looking at my alternative options. 

like I said, linus himself proved that Intel's silicon has not changed much since the 2nd gen i3/5/7s. Getting a old pre built and a 1050ti is a good cheap way to get a 1080p gaming machine.