What Cooling should I choose?

Go to solution Solved by WMGroomAK,
11 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

They're at the same price indeed, including taxes and shipping. If you had to choose between the CRYORIG C1 and the Corsair Hydro H60, which one would you pick?

If I had to choose one, I would personally go for the Cryorig C1 for a couple of reasons.  First, as with any device, the more moving parts, the more chance for failure.  On AIO coolers, you have a small, self-contained pump that can fail in addition to the fan. Once the pump fails, the whole unit is dead.  As far as thermal performance goes, I would think that the H60 is probably going to provide similar performance to the C1. You may also be able to get a quieter system with the C1 over the H60 since the C1 has a 140 mm fan, it should be able to run at a lower speed.

Here is HardOCP's review of the H60 AIO. 

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/11/24/corsair_h60_aio_cpu_cooling_system_update_review/1

What Cooling should I choose?
I'm going to buy a Core i3-7100 processor, but I still don't know whether if buy Air or Liquid Cooling. I know that temperatures are important for OC, but the Core i3-7100 is locked, so I don't care about OC. Also, I know that Air Cooling is cheaper than Liquid, but I want to know if spending a little bit more makes a significant difference or not.
P.S: My PC is gaming-oriented.

Since you can't overclock it, you can probably just stick with the stock cooler from Intel.  If you are worried about noise, maybe go with a decent Air Cooler, but I wouldn't worry about getting a liquid cooler unless you were going to upgrade to an overclockable CPU in the near future.

25 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

You don't need to buy a cooler unless you just want it to be a little quieter with an i3

25 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Since you can't overclock it, you can probably just stick with the stock cooler from Intel.  If you are worried about noise, maybe go with a decent Air Cooler, but I wouldn't worry about getting a liquid cooler unless you were going to upgrade to an overclockable CPU in the near future.

Oh, okay. Thank you, guys. I do care about noise, so I'll buy a decent Air Cooling. Maybe a big one, because I want to upgrade to a Core i7 within the next few years.

1 minute ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

Oh, okay. Thank you, guys. I do care about noise, so I'll buy a decent Air Cooling. Maybe a big one, because I want to upgrade to a Core i7 within the next few years.

check out the cryorig h5 ultimate/be quiet dark rock 3/noctua d15 for some high end coolers.

Cryorig h7/Be quiet Pure rock slim/gammaxx 400/ for some decent budget options

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

20 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

15 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

check out the cryorig h5 ultimate/be quiet dark rock 3/noctua d15 for some high end coolers.

I would toss in the Noctua U12S as well if you're not concerned about or like the Noctua look.  Otherwise, Cryorig has some nicely designed air coolers.  Definitely double check your case and RAM clearances prior to purchasing an air cooler.  

5 hours ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

Be Quiets Pure Rock is nice and quiet, I can't hear it until I ramp it over 75% and even then it makes very little noise.

13 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

13 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

I would toss in the Noctua U12S as well if you're not concerned about or like the Noctua look.  Otherwise, Cryorig has some nicely designed air coolers.  Definitely double check your case and RAM clearances prior to purchasing an air cooler.  

8 hours ago, rentaspoon said:

Be Quiets Pure Rock is nice and quiet, I can't hear it until I ramp it over 75% and even then it makes very little noise.

Noctua's coolers are ugly. Be Quiet! is not available in my country for some reason, :(. What about the Zalman CNPS9900 Max? Linus made a review a few years ago and it seems nice. I'm going to buy a Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Motherboard, would it fit (the Zalman)?

10 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

Noctua's coolers are ugly. Be Quiet! is not available in my country for some reason, :(. What about the Zalman CNPS9900 Max? Linus made a review a few years ago and it seems nice. I'm going to buy a Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Motherboard, would it fit (the Zalman)?

And the case is a Corsair Carbide 100R. I'm gonna check the size of the cooler.

2 hours ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

And the case is a Corsair Carbide 100R. I'm gonna check the size of the cooler.

Your max CPU cooler height with that case is going to be 150 mm, so I would probably look for something with a max height of 140 mm or less just to give yourself a little bit of clearance room between the case and cooler.  The Zalman cooler should work, although the clearance on it might be really tight (or it might brush the edge of the case).  The two other issues I would have personally are that if the fan fails, I'm not sure how easy it would be to get a replacement fan and the noise level on it from their website is at 34.3 dB max at full speed in quiet mode...  It's not bad, but a little louder than I would like. Aesthetically, you may want to consider something like a Cryorig H7.

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Your max CPU cooler height with that case is going to be 150 mm, so I would probably look for something with a max height of 140 mm or less just to give yourself a little bit of clearance room between the case and cooler.  The Zalman cooler should work, although the clearance on it might be really tight (or it might brush the edge of the case).  The two other issues I would have personally are that if the fan fails, I'm not sure how easy it would be to get a replacement fan and the noise level on it from their website is at 34.3 dB max at full speed in quiet mode...  It's not bad, but a little louder than I would like. Aesthetically, you may want to consider something like a Cryorig H7.

Yes, I just checked in PCPartPicker.com and they're not compatible with each other (CNPS9900 Max and Carbide 100R). I found two other coolers: The CRYORIG C1 and the Silverstone NT06-Pro, both fit nicely into the 100R and are apparently quiet (the C1 is 24dBA max.)... They're a little bit expensive compared to others, but they're nice and cool. I think they worth it.

9 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

Yes, I just checked in PCPartPicker.com and they're not compatible with each other (CNPS9900 Max and Carbide 100R). I found two other coolers: The CRYORIG C1 and the Silverstone NT06-Pro, both fit nicely into the 100R and are apparently quiet (the C1 is 24dBA max.)... They're a little bit expensive compared to others, but they're nice and cool. I think they worth it.

I think both would probably work, but I would lean towards the C1 as Silent PC Reviews gave it a fairly decent shake down.  One thing to consider (and one that I would definitely consider with the Silverstone cooler) is that you can swap out some of these fans for different ones.  Just double check how they mount to the heatsink.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Phanteks_PH-TC14S_Cryorig_C1

I think both would probably work, but I would lean towards the C1 as Silent PC Reviews gave it a fairly decent shake down.  One thing to consider (and one that I would definitely consider with the Silverstone cooler) is that you can swap out some of these fans for different ones.  Just double check how they mount to the heatsink.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Phanteks_PH-TC14S_Cryorig_C1

Should I swap out the fans?

3 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

Should I swap out the fans?

I wouldn't worry about it for the Cryorig, but the Silverstone fan looks like any other PWM default case fan that you get.  It works, but is probably not the quietest or longest lasting.  A good 120 mm PWM fan with some sound dampening corners pads would definitely be an improvements.  You could also add in some RGB if you wanted...

1 minute ago, WMGroomAK said:

I wouldn't worry about it for the Cryorig, but the Silverstone fan looks like any other PWM default case fan that you get.  It works, but is probably not the quietest or longest lasting.  A good 120 mm PWM fan with some sound dampening corners pads would definitely be an improvements.  You could also add in some RGB if you wanted...

The lifespan of the Silverstone is 30.000 hours, is it good?
There's no information about the life expectance of the CRYORIG, but I think it should be at least the same as the Silverstone's, probably more.
The NT06-Pro is U$D55 and the C1 is U$D65... Do you think spending 10 dollars more would make a difference?
P.S: Actually, it's more than 10 dollars because of the import tax of my country, :( (about 15 bucks).

2 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

The lifespan of the Silverstone is 30.000 hours, is it good?
There's no information about the life expectance of the CRYORIG, but I think it should be at least the same as the Silverstone's, probably more.
The NT06-Pro is U$D55 and the C1 is U$D65... Do you think spending 10 dollars more would make a difference?
P.S: Actually, it's more than 10 dollars because of the import tax of my country, :( (about 15 bucks).

I think that 30k hours MTBF is probably on the lower end of okay considering Noctua lists their NF-F12s (which would be considered on the top end) as a 150k hour MTBF.  Cryorig probably has about a 60k to 100k hour MTBF on their fans although I don't have any hard numbers to back that up...  I would just spend the extra $15.00 myself considering a good replacement fan is probably going to run you at least that amount.

1 minute ago, WMGroomAK said:

I think that 30k hours MTBF is probably on the lower end of okay considering Noctua lists their NF-F12s (which would be considered on the top end) as a 150k hour MTBF.  Cryorig probably has about a 60k to 100k hour MTBF on their fans although I don't have any hard numbers to back that up...  I would just spend the extra $15.00 myself considering a good replacement fan is probably going to run you at least that amount.

Yeah, you're right.
The final cost including taxes and shipping will be: U$D121, O.o, I hate the government! XD... With that money I could buy a Corsair Hydro H60, should I reconsider it?

7 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

Yeah, you're right.
The final cost including taxes and shipping will be: U$D121, O.o, I hate the government! XD... With that money I could buy a Corsair Hydro H60, should I reconsider it?

Assuming the H60 isn't going to get the government markup or has the same final price after the markup, it shouldn't be a bad cooler for the CPU instead. If you do go with the H60 I would probably mount it in an exhaust configuration on your case if it fits correctly.  The thing with these small (120 mm radiator) self contained liquid coolers is that they perform similarly to the Air Coolers, they just move the heat dissipation away from being right on top of the CPU.  It does allow for more flexibility with the case layout though.  

Assuming the H60 isn't going to get the government markup or has the same final price after the markup, it shouldn't be a bad cooler for the CPU instead. If you do go with the H60 I would probably mount it in an exhaust configuration on your case if it fits correctly.  The thing with these small (120 mm radiator) self contained liquid coolers is that they perform similarly to the Air Coolers, they just move the heat dissipation away from being right on top of the CPU.  It does allow for more flexibility with the case layout though.  

They're at the same price indeed, including taxes and shipping. If you had to choose between the CRYORIG C1 and the Corsair Hydro H60, which one would you pick?

11 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

If I had to choose one, I would personally go for the Cryorig C1 for a couple of reasons.  First, as with any device, the more moving parts, the more chance for failure.  On AIO coolers, you have a small, self-contained pump that can fail in addition to the fan. Once the pump fails, the whole unit is dead.  As far as thermal performance goes, I would think that the H60 is probably going to provide similar performance to the C1. You may also be able to get a quieter system with the C1 over the H60 since the C1 has a 140 mm fan, it should be able to run at a lower speed.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/11/24/corsair_h60_aio_cpu_cooling_system_update_review/1

20 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I just watched a few benchmarks and I found they perform very similarly. That's my "phobia" when it comes to Liquid Cooling, failures. As you said, if the AIO pump fails it could not only damage something but the whole system.
Also, in my opinion, the CRYORIG C1 is aesthetically better than the Corsair Hydro H60.
Well, thank you for helping me out with this "dilemma". Thanks to all of you.

On 2/27/2017 at 5:33 PM, DaemonWarrior44 said:

You should see how the stock cooler performs before deciding on whether or not to replace it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.