Fiio E12 vs E18

Feveredbike

I was thinking of getting the Fiio E12 or E18 for my HTC One/MBP/PC to power Pioneer HDJ-2000s. Would I get noticeably better sound by using the E18 with the amp and DAC as apposed to the E12 which is just an amp. Thanks!

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

If you were to get anything I would suggest that you go out and get the E6. For those headphones you don't really need anything, much less something like the E12 or E18, but if you have to have something I would go with the E6

If you were to get anything I would suggest that you go out and get the E6. For those headphones you don't really need anything, much less something like the E12 or E18, but if you have to have something I would go with the E6

Is there anything I could do to improve the sound quality coming out of the phone? That's the thing I'm not too impressed with.

Is there anything I could do to improve the sound quality coming out of the phone? That's the thing I'm not too impressed with.

Amusingly enough changing away from the stock player helps. If that doesn't tickle your pickle get a E6 and be happy.

Amusingly enough changing away from the stock player helps. If that doesn't tickle your pickle get a E6 and be happy.

I'm currently using Spotify for music. I'll probably go for the E6. Just out of curiosity what benefit does the E18amp + DAC have over the E12 with just an amp?

I'm currently using Spotify for music. I'll probably go for the E6. Just out of curiosity what benefit does the E18amp + DAC have over the E12 with just an amp?

Well due to the higher price tag you get a more advanced feature set and a digital analog converter which in most applications DO NOTHING WHATS SO EVER!

Though you can use the E18 as a sound card with your desktop/laptop. 

Well due to the higher price tag you get a more advanced feature set and a digital analog converter which in most applications DO NOTHING WHATS SO EVER!

Though you can use the E18 as a sound card with your desktop/laptop. 

What applications would it be used for?

Hmm, okay. Maybe I'll get an E11 as it isn't too much more and will most likely last me longer.

Sure, if you want too, though it isn't much better then an E6, more so for your headphones which don't need an amp in the first place.

Sure, if you want too, though it isn't much better then an E6, more so for your headphones which don't need an amp in the first place.

BUT WE NEED TO THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE WENDEL!!!

BUT WE NEED TO THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE WENDEL!!!

Even in the future, few portable headphone will make use of an amp at all.

The E11 and E12 which are amp only shouldn't really improve the sound quality unless your headphones are hard to drive.

The E18 has the DAC as well which bypasses the internal Qualcomm dac of the One. Many people here will tell you that usually that won't matter, but it's been shown that the Qualcomm dac will upscale all audio to 48KHz which may cause some minor degradation in audio quality.

The good thing also is that you'll have an external DAC/amp for not only your phone but also laptop and desktop that is very portable.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

• 1 year later...

I have been using for almost six months a Hifiman HE-400 (my only over-ear headphone) to listen to a Fiio X3 first generation. With my IEMs (four and none costing more than the equivalent of $50), I can listen to the X3 at about 35/120 to 50/120 volume. However, I need to push the volume to 75/120 to 85/120 to hear "good" sound from the HE-400. I have long been thinking of buying an affordable portable headphone amplifier (not that I would use the HE-400 outside) and read reviews of the E11 and the newer E11K (the E12 would be too expensive for me).

1). Would the very affordable E6 (or spending more for the E11K) improve the sound quality of my X3/HE400 setup?

2). Or would the budget amps do nothing at all since the amp in the X3 is supposed to be powerful enough?

Apologies for the long post; I just wanted to make sure I'm communicating my needs accurately.

I have been using for almost six months a Hifiman HE-400 (my only over-ear headphone) to listen to a Fiio X3 first generation. With my IEMs (four and none costing more than the equivalent of $50), I can listen to the X3 at about 35/120 to 50/120 volume. However, I need to push the volume to 75/120 to 85/120 to hear "good" sound from the HE-400. I have long been thinking of buying an affordable portable headphone amplifier (not that I would use the HE-400 outside) and read reviews of the E11 and the newer E11K (the E12 would be too expensive for me).

1). Would the very affordable E6 (or spending more for the E11K) improve the sound quality of my X3/HE400 setup?

2). Or would the budget amps do nothing at all since the amp in the X3 is supposed to be powerful enough?

Apologies for the long post; I just wanted to make sure I'm communicating my needs accurately.

Unnecessary thread necro aside, the fact that you aren't using 120/120 of your volume control to reach a comfortable volume means that you won't see any improvement from an external amp; certainly not from the likes of the Fiio units.

Have a nice day, enjoy your music.

I agree with SSL on the thread necro... That is, after all, against the CoC. Why not make a new thread to ask about it?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I agree with SSL on the thread necro... That is, after all, against the CoC. Why not make a new thread to ask about it?

my apologies, SSL and KaminKevCrew, for the necro thread but I posted my question on EmoRarity's comment (this 71-year old senior citized failed to notice the 2013 date) purely because of his saying forget the E11 and E18, just go for the E6, and I wondered what the E6 could do for my Hifiman He-400. had no intention of violating any rules here. 

my apologies, SSL and KaminKevCrew, for the necro thread but I posted my question on EmoRarity's comment (this 71-year old senior citized failed to notice the 2013 date) purely because of his saying forget the E11 and E18, just go for the E6, and I wondered what the E6 could do for my Hifiman He-400. had no intention of violating any rules here.

No worries! I don't think you're in trouble or anything! We were just letting you know for future reference!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)