Portable Wikipedia Challenge

Hey Linus, I challenge you to fit ALL of Wikipedia onto a kindle.

Believe it or not, Wikipedia has all of it's articles available for download (as of June 2015) on this 3rd party website

The Rules

- You have a $1000 budget

- External Storage is allowed, but it has to be flush (like a micro SD expansion slot on an S7), no external drives or anything like that, and you can't make the case bigger or use any wireless drives.

- Internal Storage upgrades are allowed as well (cramming in an SSD or upgrading flash within the case).

- You need to be able to access all of the books without any network connections or Bluetooth.

- You must use the most up to date version of Wikipedia available if there is another.

- The table of contents isn't required

- It can be in the form of more than one book, if putting it in one book would take forever, but someone has to be able to scroll through that list in under a minute.

- Bonus points if it isn't slower than an Apple 2 running Crysis 3 at max settings

- Bonus points if it can run Crysis afterwards

- The total weight can't be more than 750 grams

- It has to be portable afterwards

- The internals can be modified to open up space, as long as any replacement parts are at the same level or better than the previous, and the battery lasts at least 30% as long as the original device while reading.

- You can use an off the shelf case for the kindle, but keep in mind the weight limit

- You need to be able to use it as a kindle, so no firmware flashing or anything of the sort.

If the lovely people down in the comments have any ideas, Ill be happy to add them in.

Thanks and have a great day!

Oh hell no

Price: $102.11

Wait where can you even download the articles?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Either you're including images and videos in the size of Wikipedia or you're greatly overestimating the size of all the Wikipedia articles. 

A relatively small and cheap Micro SD Card can easily store all of the Wikipedia articles there are. Main issue is the quantity of files rather than the size of them. If you just had a good folder structure (split up alphabetically, with an A folder, then an AA, AB, AC etc. folder). 

That said, I'm not actually sure if any of the Kindles allow for SD Card expansion. Amazon seems to lock down the Kindles quite a bit from what I've seen of them. 

EDIT: If you are including images and videos in the size, it's impossible right now. We don't have SD Cards big enough. 

Dang, even on a dedicated 1Gbps port it's going to take me 2 hours to download Wikipedia. :(

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

Dang, even on a dedicated 1Gbps port it's going to take me 2 hours to download Wikipedia. :(

I want 1Gbps

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

I want 1Gbps

Their pretty cheap these days depending on how much bandwidth you need. Servers FTW! :D

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

Their pretty cheap these days depending on how much bandwidth you need. Servers FTW! :D

Well im in the middle of nowhere and my school pays $5,000 a month for their 100Mbps fiber line so

Well im in the middle of nowhere and my school pays $5,000 a month for their 100Mbps fiber line so

You can get a server elsewhere and still use it just fine. ;)

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

You can get a server elsewhere and still use it just fine. ;)

Wait what

Wait what

I guess I should have explained myself better, I don't have a 1Gbps connection at home but I RDP to my server in a data center elsewhere and use that so I don't care how slow or fast my connection is at home. :)

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

I guess I should have explained myself better, I don't have a 1Gbps connection at home but I RDP to my server in a data center elsewhere and use that so I don't care how slow or fast my connection is at home. :)

Ah