Buying my GTX 1060

Sleeper PC 2016

Hey guys i finally got enough cash to buy a GTX 1060 6 gb. I got a 270 dollar budget and i need multiple opinions and suggestions. This 1060 with a windforce cooler seems to be a good deal at 254.99 with a 20.00 rebate (still good until tuesday). I am open to suggestions. I also was suggested the extreme gaming version but the rebate on amazon expired

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814125901

Just now, Droidbot said:

psssst.. RX 480 8GB Ref design card from XFX is $179.99 at Newegg with free DOOM

I know about that. But i want to go nviida this route as i always had better luck with nvidia.

Just now, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

I know about that. But i want to go nviida this route as i always had better luck with nvidia.

maybe my next pc build will have an rx480

1 minute ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

That's BS and you know it. I only own Nvidia graphics cards and Intel processors but I would upgrade to an AMD part anytime if I needed to. That's cheap man and I would take advantage of it. There's no difference between it and the 1060 equivalent.

Remember to drink water!

6 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

That's BS and you know it. I only own Nvidia graphics cards and Intel processors but I would upgrade to an AMD part anytime if I needed to. That's cheap man and I would take advantage of it. There's no difference between it and the 1060 equivalent.

Well you dont know what his past experiences are. If there is no difference then why would he bother getting a AMD gpu over a nvidia card when he wants a nvidia card. The whole AMD or Nvidia can be summed up similarly to a Honda or Acura. Id never own a honda but Id own a acura. Ones cheaper but nothing would ever make me want to buy it. I acknowledge amd has the edge over the 1060 but if I was buying a 200-250 buck card I'd still buy the 1060. OP just go with which brand and software that comes with that brand you like the best. A differences of a few fps shouldnt be the deciding factor on which you buy. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

At your budget the AMD has the clearly better offer, unless you want to save another hundred and so dollars for a 1070 I honestly would say you are better off with the rx480 indeed.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, toastythomas said:

ill take a look at the 480s too (my nvidia fanboy kicked in sorry) and i want free doom. Also i noticed the 1060 has a much high boost clock (1700 vs 1290 mhz)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

At your budget the AMD has the clearly better offer, unless you want to svae another hundred dollars for a 1070 I honestly would say you are better off with the rx480 indeed.

i think the 1060 outperforms it as looking at 480s show that have a much lower boost clock

Just now, MadyTehWolfie said:

-snip-

If he's going for $250 you're best off not buying either.. buy a Fury. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202186

i think the 1060 outperforms it as looking at 480s show that have a much lower boost clock

They are on par with each other. Ref clock 1060s perform on par with ref clock 480s, just make sure you're looking at NEW benchmarks not release ones.

idk

Well if you want we can find a lot of relieable benchmarks for the both in the resolution you intend to play and see how the performance looks

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Droidbot said:

They are on par with each other. Ref clock 1060s perform on par with ref clock 480s, just make sure you're looking at NEW benchmarks not release ones.

im looking at the newegg page.

480 Nitro: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814202223

1060 EVGA: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487280

Fury is faster than both and slightly slower than 1070. 4GB framebuffer is HBM so it's quick loading stuff to and from memory. 

Runs hotter than both and is a very long card, keep that in mind.

idk

i only got a 270 dollar budget keep that in mind. The long cards are almost 300 or more

Im planning on buying online this week so i got a few days of research in front of me. I got at least 4 guys that i know thatll help me

24 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

At your budget the AMD has the clearly better offer, unless you want to svae another hundred dollars for a 1070 I honestly would say you are better off with the rx480 indeed.

Alright guys i made the decision. I also want to upgrade the ram in my system from 8 gb to 16 gb. Im going to buy the gigabyte windforce card for 254.99 on newegg, fill out the 20 dollar rebate. I will have approximately 20 dollars left over after my 1060 purchase. Once my rebate comes in ill buy another stick of corsair vengeance LPX to make 16 gb. Then ill buy games.

3 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Thats if he wants amd which he wants AMD  which he said he wasnt really into. Though I agree its a good deal but if I was in his shoes I wouldnt be it either way.

3 hours ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

480 > 1060 core clock =/= fps/performace when the two chips arent the same architecture 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

4 hours ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

Hey guys i finally got enough cash to buy a GTX 1060 6 gb. I got a 270 dollar budget and i need multiple opinions and suggestions. This 1060 with a windforce cooler seems to be a good deal at 254.99 with a 20.00 rebate (still good until tuesday). I am open to suggestions. I also was suggested the extreme gaming version but the rebate on amazon expired

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814125901

This is a great card. The different versions may offer slightly better performance (2-3 fps) due to factory overclocking but you can always overclock the card yourself. The GTX 1070 runs quite cool so you could really just get the cheapest one you could find and overclock it.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

10 hours ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

The 480 outperforms the 1060 in a bunch of titles due to drivers. And comparing the clock speeds is like comparing apples to gallbladders. You can't compare because architecture. 

Strictly talking 1060's, I don't know much about Gigabyte. Check the price of an Evga/Msi card and maybe consider them as well.

Nothing.

I will consider evga and msi too. I am really interested in the gigabyte card and I had good luck with gigabyte products. My friend has a desktop pc with a gigabyte motherboard (overclocked pentium dual core) and its rock solid. Fast too even with a mechanical hdd