Why are RAM prices so high right now?

I finished my normal rig last year and got 8gb of DDR3 ram for about 40 bucks (total probobly like 44 or so). I'm collecting parts for a secondary rig and RAM prices seem to have gone through the roof!! This is a screenshot of the same ram cards I bought last year from PC parts picker.

Will the prices go back down again? How long should I wait?

ram.PNG

DDR4 is out and DDR3 is and will be phased out in a few years.  Also --> Demand and Supply

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

DDR4 is out and DDR3 is and will be phased out in a few years.  Also --> Demand and Supply

hmm. So you think the price will increase until DDR3 is gone all together?

The prices don't go lower. It requires a lot to make a ram stick and it's hard to get those resources.

12 minutes ago, CoffeeandBagels said:

hmm. So you think the price will increase until DDR3 is gone all together?

smart phones are now using DDR4, so the demand increased which made price increase.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 minutes ago, Ficus said:

The prices don't go lower. It requires a lot to make a ram stick and it's hard to get those resources.

That's where you're wrong buddy, RAM are usually some of the cheapest parts of your build.

I think that the reason is "coincidence", by that I mean that there are probably a lot of people changing to the new platforms using DDR4 now, and someone mentioned that smartphones have started to use it too now, so you have different factors coming together to make demand higher, and that's when prices go up, with AMD's new products coming up as well there's a big pool of consumers ready to migrate to the new platforms as well.

Atleast, that's what I think.

1 minute ago, Sack said:

That's where you're wrong buddy, RAM are usually some of the cheapest parts of your build.

I think that the reason is "coincidence", by that I mean that there are probably a lot of people changing to the new platforms using DDR4 now, and someone mentioned that smartphones have started to use it too now, so you have different factors coming together to make demand higher, and that's when prices go up, with AMD's new products coming up as well there's a big pool of consumers ready to migrate to the new platforms as well.

Atleast, that's what I think.

Well, thanks for informing me :)

5 minutes ago, Wikiforce said:

but Intel's processors prices decreased for same reason; as more people are will buy ryzen seeing it's performance in leaked benchmarks. Some retailers such as MicroCenter decreased the price of Skylake/ KabyLake chips.

Your point being...?

8 minutes ago, Wikiforce said:

RAM should be cheaper, i see in my region prices for both DDR3 and DDR4 have doubled, not just DDR3.

There is something called the law of supply and demand. When supply is high and demand is low, prices drop. When supply is low and demand is high, prices rise.

The demand for DDR4 has rapidly grown with it being used in more and more smartphones. Until Supply catches up, until production of ddr4 ram increases enough to meet demand, the prices will remain high. It sounds like this will be at least until the end of this year http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-why-ddr4-ram-prices-have-spiked/

The demand for DDR3 has dropped, but the supply of DDR3 has also dropped. As electronics age, the supply dwindles and the prices rise because supply keeps dropping.

2 minutes ago, Wikiforce said:

RAM should be cheaper, i see in my region prices for both DDR3 and DDR4 have doubled, not just DDR3.

Hah, don't I look stupid, I thought we were talking about a DDR4 price increase *shakes head*. I guess they're trying to milk DDR3 before they need to dump prices to get rid of their stock. Another reason might be if they dump prices on DDR3 then it would incentivise people to stay on old platforms rather than migrating to the new one, which would mean the retailers would not just lose out on the DDR4 price but also new motherboards and CPUs. By inflating prices they make sure that new costumers will buy into the new platform and that only people servicing old ones buy the old stuff.

• 8 months later...

My 16GB of RAM for the pc I was gonna build officially cost as much as my Ryzen 5 1600. It's insane. First, our GPUs now it's our RAM sticks.

Yea it's kinda crazy... I bought 32GB DDR4-2666 for $120 last May... now the same exact kit is $360. I should have bought two and sold one of them for a mean profit.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

There are a combination of factors at work, first is the demand as others have said there are now a lot of different devices using memory that didn't in the past so there is more pressure on the supply with companies like Apple and Samsung building millions of smart phones that all eat into the DRAM supply. Second, multiple companies have taken fabrication facilities offline in the last couple of months to modernize them, which put additional pressure on the supply side. In addition there are multiple companies that are in the process of bringing new fab lines up in existing fabs which slows down production in those fabs, and others are bringing new fabs online which means they are transferring experienced workers to the new fabs (and in chip fabrication experience really counts), so the older fabs are working with a mix of less experienced workers and older more experienced workers again pulling production down.

The upshot is that hopefully in about 6 months the production will ramp back up and prices will be coming back down, but until then the prices stay high or get higher.

• 2 months later...

@AncientNerd - So what you are saying is that RAM manufacturers got caught with their pants down in predicting the increased demand for DDR4 during the transition phase, so now they are all playing catch up. They are simultaneously shutting down a lot of DDR3 production to make room for DDR4, causing both product lines to become more scarce.

Here's to hoping they get it all running smoothly again before I want to upgrade my PC. I bought 16GB of RAM in 2015 for about $70. I was hoping I could pay that price for 32GB by 2020 when I figured I'd need to upgrade it. Traditionally that has been how RAM prices fall. Every 4 years or so you can get double the RAM for the same price.