Feedback for these photos i had clicked

Indus Monk

Give me your feedback for these images.

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

PS: Not planning on going into still photography. I wanna be a video editor (in premier pro/FinalCutPro)or work as a cameraman. I also have a nagging feeling about how this thread will turn out!

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

The first one is wonderful. I love that focus on the squirrel. I also love the second one. And 3 was nicely shot, but not my type of picture. All in consideration, nice shots you took. 

On 2/24/2017 at 9:50 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

Dat DoF tho. 

Really like the second image. 

Out of interest, what camera did you use?

canon 60D with 18-135 STM

Hmm, the first one doesn't really appeal me, kinda lacking depth. 

The second is defentivly better, maybe could have played with the composition, getting tighter probably if I could choose. 

I like the third. Its creative and has a cool look to it. Just imagine s starry sky behind the building too, that would make it even better. (Not really possible since light pollution probably) 

I would try to improve on composition stuff. To be a videographer you need to be a good photographer. I find it a lot harder getting the composition good when filming and the storytelling is so important. So I belive that its good to have a nice sense of how to shoot stills if you want to be a videographer. As a editor it helps to know how the light and stuff works to create a better scene and edit. 

This is just my personal thoughts though. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Overall, I enjoyed the photos. 

First one. Cool shot however, you should try to tell a story with your photo. You can do this by capturing only what you want to show. The brush in the background is nice bokeh but brings the attention away from the subject, or the squirrel sneaking a drink.

Second, quite a sharp image. Good depth, not much criticism here. If anything the lighting was a little bright, hard to control though.

Third one, was wallpaper material. The lights create leading lines all the way around the frame. 

Keep it up.

On 2/24/2017 at 5:40 PM, AmbarChakrabarti said:

The first two photos, with the animals, they are mainly just average.  For wildlife photography, you may want to switch to using continuous burst mode on your camera.  Animals can have very fast reaction times and you can't easily predict when they will make a post that looks interesting. So burst shots, take as many photos as you can, and then select the best looking one from all the frames you captured.  Another tip for wildlife photography, learn about the behavior of the animal(s) you are trying to photograph.  Knowing such information can help you predict when the animal is likely to do something interesting.

Third photo, while it does look interesting especially with the reflection, it's too dark.  You have blobs of black stuff which I assume are trees and some other structures in the foreground.  They actually diminish the potential of the photo.  I would've gone for an increased exposure.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 2/25/2017 at 10:03 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

The first two photos, with the animals, they are mainly just average.  For wildlife photography, you may want to switch to using continuous burst mode on your camera.  Animals can have very fast reaction times and you can't easily predict when they will make a post that looks interesting. So burst shots, take as many photos as you can, and then select the best looking one from all the frames you captured.  Another tip for wildlife photography, learn about the behavior of the animal(s) you are trying to photograph.  Knowing such information can help you predict when the animal is likely to do something interesting.

Third photo, while it does look interesting especially with the reflection, it's too dark.  You have blobs of black stuff which I assume are trees and some other structures in the foreground.  They actually diminish the potential of the photo.

Tell me how i could have been better then?

Also, what is it that makes the first two pretty average? I am still a semi amatuer with excellent hardware.

(Canon 60D and 18-135 STM)

5 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Tell me how i could have been better then?

For the third photo, I'd go for an increased exposure shot.  Your exposure settings for the photo would be fine, but only if the foreground was clear of all those objects that would appear as black shadows.

As for the two animal photos, did you capture other frames that might have had them in a more interesting pose?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

7 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Also, what is it that makes the first two pretty average? I am still a semi amatuer with excellent hardware.

(Canon 60D and 18-135 STM)

Hardware is not what matters here.  It's about capturing a compelling photo.

On 2/25/2017 at 10:08 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

As for the two animal photos, did you capture other frames that might have had them in a more interesting pose?

not quite actually

On 2/25/2017 at 10:13 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

Hardware is not what matters here.  It's about capturing a compelling photo.

Let me guess...

I didn't do that right?

Just now, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Let me guess...

I didn't do that right?

Not by a long shot.  Your photos drew some interest, but they aren't compelling enough.

On 2/25/2017 at 10:19 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:

Not by a long shot.  Your photos drew some interest, but they aren't compelling enough.

-_- sticking to video editing then. I guess i ain't cut out for photography

Just now, AmbarChakrabarti said:

-_- sticking to video editing then. I guess i ain't cut out for photography

If you give up like that, you will never become better.  You need to develop an instinct for looking at the scene and exploring how to get the best most compelling shots.

quote-if-it-makes-you-laugh-if-it-makes-

4 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

If you give up like that, you will never become better.  You need to develop an instinct for looking at the scene and exploring how to get the best most compelling shots.

quote-if-it-makes-you-laugh-if-it-makes-

Never said i was gonna give up. I just psyched myself up and feel down face first. Oh well, its a good thing my first priority was video editing

2 hours ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Never said i was gonna give up. I just psyched myself up and feel down face first. Oh well, its a good thing my first priority was video editing

Do you know what else Eddie Adams said?

I'm not a great believer in the power of the moving image. A still image has greater lasting power. A still photographer has to show the whole fucking movie in one picture. On the screen, it's over and back in the can in seconds. A still picture is going to be there forever. - Eddie Adams

8 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Do you know what else Eddie Adams said?

I'm not a great believer in the power of the moving image. A still image has greater lasting power. A still photographer has to show the whole fucking movie in one picture. On the screen, it's over and back in the can in seconds. A still picture is going to be there forever. - Eddie Adams

Okay. With my mind settled down, I guess i have to work smarter. Look around a lot more. But i think when you termed my image as "not compelling enough" did you mean that the images dont tell a story compelling enough?

1 hour ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Okay. With my mind settled down, I guess i have to work smarter. Look around a lot more. But i think when you termed my image as "not compelling enough" did you mean that the images dont tell a story compelling enough?

Do you have any favorite photographers or favorite photographs?  Think about what you feel when looking at their works.