MSI RX 480 fan question

ringo

After fans turn on in game, when are they going to turn off? I read in some reviewers that in that case they turn off below 38C. Also for XFX RX 480 I read that fans after load turn off below 50C. In my case fans turns of immediatly below 60C, that is not good because constant on and off situation. Some experiance people with this RX model?

Can wattman set fan RPM in idle? Change target temp or what? I wanted to know on what temp fans after load are supposed to turn off because in some games they are constant turning on and off because of temperature change?

1 hour ago, ringo said:

Can wattman set fan RPM in idle? Change target temp or what? I wanted to know on what temp fans after load are supposed to turn off because in some games they are constant turning on and off because of temperature change?

Personally I think wattman makes GPU fan control look confusing and over-complicated....

Check your GPU temperature at idle using something like HWMonitor, then set a custom fan curve using MSI afterburner, starting with the idle GPU temperature set to 0% fan speed - then make a curve out of it, limiting the GPU fan speed until the speed that isnt too loud for your preference.

So like see below for the fan curve I used to use - 0% fan speed at 25C, then about 60% at a 75C load - because 60% was like the line where if passed, the card went blow-dryer mode..

(and theres a 100% fan speed fail-safe if the card heats up to 90C, just in case, though thats never happened)

Untitled.png

I set similar fan curve in Afterburner. When I activate apply overclocking at startup, on next startup it doesn't remember that option so Afterburner always must be on for fan curve to be working. But that's not the point. My question is about temperature, when are fans supposed to turn off after gaming? Card doesn't work right, RMA?

3 hours ago, ringo said:

I set similar fan curve in Afterburner. When I activate apply overclocking at startup, on next startup it doesn't remember that option so Afterburner always must be on for fan curve to be working. But that's not the point. My question is about temperature, when are fans supposed to turn off after gaming? Card doesn't work right, RMA?

That's normal depending on your fan curve. I currently have my fans set to turn of at 60c or below.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Seems more logical to me for fans after load to turn off below 38c, that increase fan durabillity. More people with rx 480, expiriance?