Overclocking

Hey everyone! I am planning on overclocking my CPU and GPU the next time my schedule frees up. I have an intel i5-4690K and an EVGA 960 SSC 2GB. If I were to overclock both of these, how would I go about doing so, and what results would I most likely get? I have a Z-97A Asus motherboard, EVGA 650 Gold 80+, a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler, and a 2x4GB @ 1866MHz. Hopefully I did not miss any major parts. Thanks much in advance.

Your specs are very very similar to mine.

If you want to save yourself some headaches, go ahead and use the AI suite's overclocking utility to overclock your CPU. See what clock speed and voltage it uses when it's done. Once you have that information, now the real stuff begins. Go ahead and start lowering the vcore from 1.275v (which is what asus defines as max voltage for Haswell, and what AI suite uses), by .01v increments. Stress test for roughly 30 minutes each time until you reach a point where you aren't stable. Once you find that instability, go up a notch (back where it was last stable), then stress test for 8-10 hours. If it's unstable, go up a notch. This should give you a very good overclock.

As for GPU, I'm not so sure. But from what I've heard, you should overclock the memory and GPU separately, use uningine heaven along with your games you play to stress stability.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 PRO CARBON AC | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC ULTRA |
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz |
Phaneks Evolv Tempered Glass | Seasonic FOCUS Gold+ 750W |
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | 860 EVO 500GB | 850 PRO 256GB | Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM

since you're new, I'll explain:

the chips in your CPU and GPU are made in a fab, and every chip is different. in a batch of 100 GeForce GPUs, 20 become 980s, 50 become 970s, 20 become 960s, and 10 become 950s for example.  Every single of those 960s will have a different ASIC quality (usually around 75%) and overclock differently. Same goes for CPUs. 

So that's why we can't predict overclock potential.

idk

13 hours ago, Droidbot said:

since you're new, I'll explain:

the chips in your CPU and GPU are made in a fab, and every chip is different. in a batch of 100 GeForce GPUs, 20 become 980s, 50 become 970s, 20 become 960s, and 10 become 950s for example.  Every single of those 960s will have a different ASIC quality (usually around 75%) and overclock differently. Same goes for CPUs. 

So that's why we can't predict overclock potential.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks much for the example; it really put things into perspective!

13 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

overclock depends on your CPU and GPU binning 

Thanks for the video links. The CPU OC link is the exact one I wanted to use. I did not know Linus made a GPU OC video; thank you for that link once again.