Can I throttle a specific programs download speed?

Jerochy

Hey guys,

Basically, long story short, my internet is super horrible (around 100kbps download) and while gaming, my ping is fine around 60, but if any downloads occur, my ping spikes into the thousands which is understandable. I've played a lot of rust over the past year, and recently they've made it so that the community can create skins and if they get voted highly, they are implemented into the game and I am flooded with 5mb patches that I need to download all the time while I'm playing. Some how, the "rust - workshop" download bypasses all the parameters I have set up for it not to download through steam. I have the default box for steam checked off saying no downloads while playing, the specific box for rust downloads saying disable automatic updates and no downloading while playing. The only thing that seems the help remotely is throttling the download to 16kbps using steam, but even then, my ping will spike to 2k or so for about 5 seconds and then come down to 60 for about 30 seconds and then spike back up and it keeps doing that until the entire download is complete.

I was wondering if there was a way to limit the download to 1kbps using windows so that hopefully this game would be playable for me again.

Thanks.

rust wtf.png

I would suggest contacting Steam Support and reporting the bug.

The problem is that if you use a third party application to limit steam, it may also inadvertently limit the game itself, and kill/affect MP performance.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would suggest contacting Steam Support and reporting the bug.

The problem is that if you use a third party application to limit steam, it may also inadvertently limit the game itself, and kill/affect MP performance.

It's funny because I've contacted facepunch and garry himself trying to get help, but never thought to ask steam haha. Thanks man.