Good HD camera for under 120$

I am starting a YouTube channel really soon and after I build my rig I need to buy a camera as well. I want good HD video for under 120$ I know absolutely nothing about cameras other than the differences between resolutions and have no idea what a lot of the specifications mean or anything like that so I'm kinda lost as to what to purchase.

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

Unless you need zoom, there's not much you could get that would be way better than a phone on a stand.

just use that to save money for now if you only have a $120 budget.

NOTE: I could be wrong here. I don't know too much about video cameras, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Unless you need zoom, there's not much you could get that would be way better than a phone on a stand.

just use that to save money for now if you only have a $120 budget.

NOTE: I could be wrong here. I don't know too much about video cameras, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

Yeeeah, phones usually aren't a great option. There's a lot of "motion blur" or whatever it's called, at least on my phone's camera (iPhone 6), which wont look very nice.

For OP:

One of your best options is probably to go with a webcam. Logitech c920 or c922 are great. They've also just come out with a 4k 60fps version of the webcam, but I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, those are great, and I know for a fact it's looked upon as one of the best webcams for YouTube out there. They're also definitely in your price range, so have a look!

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

5 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

Yeeeah, phones usually aren't a great option. There's a lot of "motion blur" or whatever it's called, at least on my phone's camera (iPhone 6), which wont look very nice.

In my experience, that only happens when the phone itself is moving.

if you put the phone on a stand, it should be fine.

but a webcam is also a great option.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Get that really nice Logitech 1080p webcam and a gorillapod and call it a day. Save up for a better camera, mirrorless or DSLR in the future.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

In my experience, that only happens when the phone itself is moving.

if you put the phone on a stand, it should be fine.

but a webcam is also a great option.

Depends on what he's going to post to Youtube. Also if he'll be jumping up his chair and move around his room quickly, then the phone wont be happy about the frames it can produce.

For OP:

You do know, that audio is important as well? Even more so than a webcam? What'll you be using for audio? I'm curiois since a lot of starting YouTubers seem to think a cam is a necessity and then don't realize audio is just as (if not more) important :) Anyway, you must be able to squeeze a cool microphone in your $120 budget (maybe a Samson Meteor mic, those are great for the price) if you buy a c920. Good luck!

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

3 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

Depends on what he's going to post to Youtube. Also if he'll be jumping up his chair and move around his room quickly, then the phone wont be happy about the frames it can produce.

For OP:

You do know, that audio is important as well? Even more so than a webcam? What'll you be using for audio? I'm curiois since a lot of starting YouTubers seem to think a cam is a necessity and then don't realize audio is just as (if not more) important :) Anyway, you must be able to squeeze a cool microphone in your $120 budget (maybe a Samson Meteor mic, those are great for the price) if you buy a c920. Good luck!

I have a condenser mic for my audio and one of those shirt clip on mics for when I'm outside doing stuff.

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

3 minutes ago, Zeke_ said:

I have a condenser mic for my audio and one of those shirt clip on mics for when I'm outside doing stuff.

if you're outside doing stuff a webcam's not going to work.

where do you plan to film?

Desktop:

Laptop:

54 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

For OP:

One of your best options is probably to go with a webcam. Logitech c920 or c922 are great. They've also just come out with a 4k 60fps version of the webcam, but I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, those are great, and I know for a fact it's looked upon as one of the best webcams for YouTube out there. They're also definitely in your price range, so have a look!

Belive me, the video from a 120US videocamera won't be much better than the one you get from the iPhone 6. And motion blur has nothing to do with the sensor really. (Rolling shutter may be what you have experienced). I would just use the phone unless it's ancient or something like that.

Drop the budget on proper lightning and maybe even a stabalizer for the phone to recive good smooth shots. I have seen semi professional shoots (Fstoppers tutorials are just one to mention) use a gimbal and an iPhone 6s/7 to produce some pretty impressive smooth cinematics in good light.

And as others have said a good mic to record audio is important. But, a relativly neew flagship phone is able to produce some pretty impressive shots if used the right way in good lightning conditions. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

if you're outside doing stuff a webcam's not going to work.

where do you plan to film?

Inside and outside 

#BudgetMasterRace