Best OS for Dell Latitude 3460 (Intel i3 2 Ghz - 4GB RAM - No GPU)

ajgamer1

Best OS to Install on Dell Latitude 3460 (Intel i3 5th Generation 5005U 2 Ghz - 4GB RAM - Integrated Graphics)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Best OS to Install on Dell Latitude 3460 (Intel i3 5th Generation 5005U 2 Ghz - 4GB RAM - Integrated Graphics)

• Windows 7 (Enterprise)
    • Windows 8.1 (Enterprise)
    • Windows 10 (Enterprise)
  2. 2. Shall I upgrade to 8 GB RAM from 4 GB?

Hi, I have recently bought Dell Latitude 3460. Please recommend me the best OS to install for best performance in terms of speed (least hang/lagging)

Specifications are below:

Processor: Intel i3 5005U 5th Generation - 2 Ghz

Cores Count: 2

RAM: 4 GB (Can do 8 GB if you recommend)

HDD: 500 GB 7,200 RPM

GPU: Intel Integrated Graphics

Options: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Enterprise and Windows 10 Enterprise

Usage: I want to have most smoothest Google Chrome Experience (like if I open it, it should load faster, opens new tab faster, opens maximum tabs in least memory consumption).

Please advice me your best.

Thanks.

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

Windows 10 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Windows 10 

Thanks for the reply back. May I know the reasons if you could mention?

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

1 minute ago, MrFriendism said:

Thanks for the reply back. May I know the reasons if you could mention?

Because it's the latest one. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

windows 10 with 8gb ram, and you will get a smooth experience.

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Because it's the latest one. 

Perfect! But, What about the speed?

Please recommend me the best OS to install for best performance in terms of speed (least hang/lagging)

Usage: I want to have most smoothest Google Chrome Experience (like if I open it, it should load faster, opens new tab faster, opens maximum tabs in least memory consumption).

Please recommend me the best OS to install for best performance in terms of speed (least hang/lagging)

It will be slightly faster but if you want it even faster get an SSD. 

زندگی از چراغ

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

id personally run refors, but for windows run windows 10, its the newest and most secure, and there all about the same speed. Id get 8gb of ram.

What do you mean by refors? I'm sorry I don't know.

I'm not much worried about the security. But I'm much worried about the speed of processing such as loading time of Chrome, New Tabs etc.

if your just running a broser, run linux, like fedora. Its a good amout faster than windows and uses less ram.

3 minutes ago, Zenedge said:

windows 10 with 8gb ram, and you will get a smooth experience.

Don't you think, Windows 10 would eat more RAM as compared to Windows 7?

4 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Definitely upgrade your hard drive to a SSD and you will notice very fast, responsive programs. (Such as browsing chrome) and of course Windows 10 because it's the 'latest and greatest' as well as upgrading ram if you have the budget for it.

If I may recommend you using a different browser such as firefox, give it a try! @MrFriendism

4 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Can we replace HDD with SSD in the mentioned laptop?

Also, Which SSD will be best option?

2 minutes ago, MrFriendism said:

Can we replace HDD with SSD in the mentioned laptop?

Also, Which SSD will be best option?

500GB Samsung 850 Evo. 

زندگی از چراغ

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Definitely upgrade your hard drive to a SSD and you will notice very fast, responsive programs. (Such as browsing chrome) and of course Windows 10 because it's the 'latest and greatest' as well as upgrading ram if you have the budget for it.

If I may recommend you using a different browser such as firefox, give it a try!

Thank you for the advice. But can we replace HDD to SSD in the mentioned laptop?

I am planning to upgrade RAM.

Which SSD can we use for it?

And apart from the fact that Windows 10 is latest, Is it faster than Windows 7 for the mentioned laptop?

Thank you for the advice. But can we replace HDD to SSD in the mentioned laptop?

Yes, a standard sata 2.5inch drive will work.

Which SSD can we use for it?

I always recommend Samsung 850 Evos:

250gb or 500gb even 1tb if you can afford it.

Otherwise there are more budget-oriented SSD's for cheaper. (Though they may not be as reliable or thoroughly tested)

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Yes, a standard sata 2.5inch drive will work.

I always recommend Samsung 850 Evos:

250gb or 500gb even 1tb if you can afford it.

Otherwise there are more budget-oriented SSD's for cheaper. (Though they may not be as reliable or thoroughly tested)

Standard SATA as in the Desktop One? Can we use the same in laptops? :o

Which RAM would be best if you can recommend the model/name or anything?

How much difference can I notice if I do the same?

Standard SATA as in the Desktop One? Can we use the same in laptops?

Laptop HDD'S are the same size as SSD'S so yes you can use a desktop one. 

زندگی از چراغ

Standard SATA as in the Desktop One? Can we use the same in laptops? :o

Normally the major differences in SATA when comparing laptops vs desktops is either 2.5inch or 3.5inch form factor.

Pretty much all laptops have 2.5inch HDDs or SSDs, so you of course can swap them. I just installed a new SSD into my laptop and noticed a major performance gain. (I also think the old hard drive was starting to fail though)

As for RAM it's not a big difference. Up to you!

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Normally the major differences in SATA when comparing laptops vs desktops is either 2.5inch or 3.5inch form factor.

Pretty much all laptops have 2.5inch HDDs or SSDs, so you of course can swap them. I just installed a new SSD into my laptop and noticed a major performance gain. (I also think the old hard drive was starting to fail though)

As for RAM it's not a big difference. Up to you!

I bought this RAM http://www.amazon.in/Kingston-KVR16LS11-1600MHz-DDR3L-Laptop/dp/B00CQ35GYE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 

Will this work for my mentioned laptop?

@NinJake @LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo @Zenedge @Electronics Wizardy

3 minutes ago, MrFriendism said:

Will this work for my mentioned laptop?

Yes

زندگی از چراغ

5 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Yes

7 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Looks good to me.

Right now, I have Windows 7 on my laptop. If I install the RAM can we do it now or will I have to install Windows again after installing RAM on Laptop?

Right now, I have Windows 7 on my laptop. If I install the RAM can we do it now or will I have to install Windows again after installing RAM on Laptop?

You make sure to turn your computer off, then upgrade ram, power it back up and it should work fine.

will I have to install Windows again after installing RAM on Laptop?

No Windows will automatically recognize more RAM. 

زندگی از چراغ