Hi-Fi Systems and etc.

Hello Guys,

I want to buy an audio system which I am gonna use with my computer and TV. I researched and discovered that there are 2 kinds. Active and passive. For passive monitors you need an amplifier but active monitors have their own. Yes I am an audiopile and I am a guitar player. Which one should I pick? Also can you connect active monitors to an amplifier? 

If you guys can direct me I would be very happy. Thanks alot ! 

If your amplifier has a line-out you can connect your active speakers to that, otherwise a headphone port works too.

I recently sold my big receiver and passive speaker setup and I went with a pair of Audioengine active speakers, they sound amazing and it's a nice and tidy system.

These speakers have 2 audio inputs, I have them connected to my digital piano, and a USB audio interface. The USB interface plays the sound from my PC and it has a passthrough so my TV is connected to that as well.

If you need loads of connectivity you might want an amp, otherwise I'd recommend a good pair of active speakers.

Please note that there's a difference between (studio)monitors and powered speakers, where monitors are made to give the most accurate sound, not necessarily the most 'fun' or pleasant sound, and often don't have bass or treble controls.

Does you mum know you're here?

On 21.02.2017 at 2:40 PM, VVoltor said:

If your amplifier has a line-out you can connect your active speakers to that, otherwise a headphone port works too.

I recently sold my big receiver and passive speaker setup and I went with a pair of Audioengine active speakers, they sound amazing and it's a nice and tidy system.

These speakers have 2 audio inputs, I have them connected to my digital piano, and a USB audio interface. The USB interface plays the sound from my PC and it has a passthrough so my TV is connected to that as well.

If you need loads of connectivity you might want an amp, otherwise I'd recommend a good pair of active speakers.

Please note that there's a difference between (studio)monitors and powered speakers, where monitors are made to give the most accurate sound, not necessarily the most 'fun' or pleasant sound, and often don't have bass or treble controls.

Thank you so much. I think that I'm going to choose some power speakers. I was considering to buy studio monitors but you enlightened me. Are you happy with audioengine speakers ? Should I go for something else. I have a budget around 600$. Thanks alot.

Yes, I'm very happy with the speakers I got, they were better than I expected to be honest.

$600 should buy you a very nice pair of speakers, but I'm not sure what to suggest in that price range, it might be a good idea to go to a hi-fi shop and have a look/listen for yourself.

Or otherwise look for professional reviews, as those guys have a lot more experience and listened to many systems so their opinion is probably less biased than anyone on these forums.

Does you mum know you're here?

Thank you for the help mate. I will dig in to this more with professional reviews.