CS:GO + GTX 1080 = Low FPS. Advice?

Handyman

Hey, boys!

I play CS:GO a lot, but throughout the last year my FPS has been dramatically reduced for some reason.

I concluded that it must be the GPU (Radeon 290), so I bought myself a GTX 1080.

It not only didn't help, but the FPS seems lower than before. I've read that AMD cards run CS:GO better, but still..

On Inferno my average FPS is around 130, but in some areas it can dip as low as 90 consistantly. (Offline, no bots)

It's a bit better on other (older) maps, but is still not great.

I've tried everything thinkable on the software side to fix this problem, like:

- Updating all drivers (made no difference)

- Changing Nvidia settings to high performance (made no difference)

- Lowering my CS:GO video settings (tried all combinations, but made close to no difference)

- Several Launch options and console commands for CS:GO (made no difference)

- Closing all applications other than Steam and CS:GO (made no difference)

- Overclock my CPU with MSI "OC Genie" (made noticable difference other than PC crashes)

The only thing which isn't high end in this build is my CPU, do you guys it would help to upgrade it?

I've read some places online that CS:GO is quite CPU reliant, but I don't really know.

Current specs:

Motherboard:  MSI Z97 GAMING 5

CPU: Intel i7-4770k

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 ROG Strix Gaming

PSU: Corsair HX850i 850w

RAM: 32GB Hyper X DDR3 MHz 

OS SSD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB OEM

HDD: WD Desktop Black 3TB

Windows 10 home 64bit

CPU Cooler (AIO watercooling): Corsair H100i Hydro Series CPU cooler

BOIS Version: 1.00

Thanks for any advice!

ps: I know this build is unbalanced and not "value friendly". It has it's reasons :).

CSGO is very CPU bound. It stresses the first 3 cores more than the other cores in the system. But your frames are horribly low. 

-threads 8, turn off HRTF? Otherwise I'd try a full reinstall of the game, I get more FPS on a 650Ti and a nearly 10 year old i7 1st gen. 

idk

Out of interest did you do a full driver wipe using DDU before installing the 1080? 

Is it only CS:GO?

Hows your net connection?

Try running 3Dmark11 Firestrike, and post a link to your result please so I can compare it with mine, they should be very similar, albeit my last run was 4790k @ 4.8ghz and my 1080 running 2180mhz

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

CSGO is very CPU bound. It stresses the first 3 cores more than the other cores in the system. But your frames are horribly low. 

-threads 8, turn off HRTF? Otherwise I'd try a full reinstall of the game, I get more FPS on a 650Ti and a nearly 10 year old i7 1st gen. 

I do already use "-threads 8" launch option, but I haven't tried turning off HRTF (tho I would hate to play without it). I can test it now.

I can try to reinstall the game as well, but do you think it will make a difference if I install it on the SSD rather than the HDD?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Out of interest did you do a full driver wipe using DDU before installing the 1080? 

Ehm.. Eh. Nope. I'll do that! 

It was my first time upgrading a GPU, so I didn't really think about it.

Hehe, Thanks!

1 minute ago, Handyman said:

Ehm.. Eh. Nope. I'll do that! 

It was my first time upgrading a GPU, so I didn't really think about it.

Hehe, Thanks!

I added more to that comment:

Try running 3Dmark11 Firestrike, and post a link to your result please so I can compare it with mine, they should be very similar, albeit my last run was 4790k @ 4.8ghz and my 1080 running 2180mhz

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

4 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I bought a GTX 1080 to play CS:GO.

laughing-gifs-pillow-cover.gif

That being said, though, always disable hyperthreading for gaming. With my setup it nearly doubles framerates.

I bought the GTX 1080 mainly for content creation, as it's a part of my job :) Still, I know it's not a great value, but.. Well.. Impulse buy, you know?

Hmm, but how? 

7 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I can set Arma 3 to use -threads 24, that doesn't mean it can efficiently use that many. Sure, try the SSD. CS:GO is tiny.

Yeah, i've tried both with and without the command and it made no difference.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

I added more to that comment:

Yes, only CS:GO as far as I know. 

I've even played some games on the HTC Vive with consistant 90 FPS on this rig. 

GTA V performs quite good as well.

My internet connection is good and stable. 

Wired connection through ethernet. 80mbps down, 15mbps up with a low stable ping (20ms~)

I'll post a link to the result when it's done :)

Yeah, my cpu only runs on 3,75ghz at the moment, so it's somewhat of a gap.

5 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Yes, only CS:GO as far as I know. 

I've even played some games on the HTC Vive with consistant 90 FPS on this rig. 

GTA V performs quite good as well.

My internet connection is good and stable. 

Wired connection through ethernet. 80mbps down, 15mbps up with a low stable ping (20ms~)

I'll post a link to the result when it's done :)

Yeah, my cpu only runs on 3,75ghz at the moment, so it's somewhat of a gap.

You sure vsync aint enabled? check nv control panel and in game

Ryzen Ram Guide

6 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Yeah, I am 100% positive. 

Here is my result, by the way!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18118930?

Not much in it to be honest, most likely down to higher clock speeds

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11520247

Id try reinstalling on the SSD as said, that wont help FPS, just load times, but that GPU should be nailing that game - someone I played wow with had issues with 1080, their frame rates were lower than my 970 sli rig at the time

Ryzen Ram Guide

True. I've read online that more people were having the same problem.

I think i'll format the SSD and then install CS:GO on there. Might be some wierd driver issue or something.

I'll update this thread if makes any difference.

But thanks for all the help!

13 hours ago, Handyman said:

Hey, boys!

I play CS:GO a lot, but throughout the last year my FPS has been dramatically reduced for some reason.

I concluded that it must be the GPU (Radeon 290), so I bought myself a GTX 1080.

It not only didn't help, but the FPS seems lower than before. I've read that AMD cards run CS:GO better, but still..

On Inferno my average FPS is around 130, but in some areas it can dip as low as 90 consistantly. (Offline, no bots)

It's a bit better on other (older) maps, but is still not great.

I've tried everything thinkable on the software side to fix this problem, like:

- Updating all drivers (made no difference)

- Changing Nvidia settings to high performance (made no difference)

- Lowering my CS:GO video settings (tried all combinations, but made close to no difference)

- Several Launch options and console commands for CS:GO (made no difference)

- Closing all applications other than Steam and CS:GO (made no difference)

- Overclock my CPU with MSI "OC Genie" (made noticable difference other than PC crashes)

The only thing which isn't high end in this build is my CPU, do you guys it would help to upgrade it?

I've read some places online that CS:GO is quite CPU reliant, but I don't really know.

Current specs:

Motherboard:  MSI Z97 GAMING 5

CPU: Intel i7-4770k

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 ROG Strix Gaming

PSU: Corsair HX850i 850w

RAM: 32GB Hyper X DDR3 MHz 

OS SSD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB OEM

HDD: WD Desktop Black 3TB

Windows 10 home 64bit

CPU Cooler (AIO watercooling): Corsair H100i Hydro Series CPU cooler

BOIS Version: 1.00

Thanks for any advice!

ps: I know this build is unbalanced and not "value friendly". It has it's reasons :).

Try cleaning your PC internally like apps and shit you might have installed something that's slowing your pc if that doesn't help just clean your pc with compreessed air and reinstall your operating system, also i found games run better for me on windows 8.1 rather then windows 10.