How to paint RAM stick without disassembling?

Hi, I have been thinking about painting my RAM modules to act as accenting on the inside of my case.

I was wondering if there was an easy way of painting the RAM heat spreaders without disassembling it, as I do not feel confident enough to do this.

Would just holding some cardboard or something in the way of the gold contacts at the bottom work?

If this will work, one other thing I am worried about is the gaps in the heat spreader, as shown in the picture. I have circled the gaps and was wondering if paint getting on these would break the memory module, and if so is there any easy way I could paint around these?

Finally, this is the paint I plan to use: https://www.powertoolsdirect.com/plasti-kote-fast-dry-enamel-aerosols-range

Any thoughts on this paint, if it will work or not, would be good :)

Thanks 

RAM.jpg

Oh that's a tricky one because of all those cut-outs. Which part do you want to paint. Is it all of the heat spreader or just certain parts?

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

I don't think it would be a good idea, also I think the contacts are sensitive like CPU pins

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

you can get the armor off but you will need thermal pads when reassembling 

1 minute ago, QuantumBit said:

I don't think it would be a good idea, also I think the contacts are sensitive like CPU pins

But covering them with cardboard just while I spray the rest would be fine, surely?

1 minute ago, dany_boy said:

Oh that's a tricky one because of all those cut-outs. Which part do you want to paint. Is it all of the heat spreader or just certain parts?

The whole thing really, and it's just that this was my first PC build and so I don't have any experience doing things like disassembling RAM so I don't really want to go there. 

I could have bought the white version, but the black version was £20 cheaper than the white when I got it, so that's why.

1 minute ago, Pkillerjd said:

you can get the armor off but you will need thermal pads when reassembling 

Yeah, this is my first PC build so I do kinda want to steer away from disassembling them, if possible...

1 minute ago, NinjaSandvich said:

But covering them with cardboard just while I spray the rest would be fine, surely?

Ehhhhhh. I really wouldn't risk it.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

lol, it's a computer, get a full panel and hide it, you showoff! xD

2 minutes ago, NinjaSandvich said:

The whole thing really, and it's just that this was my first PC build and so I don't have any experience doing things like disassembling RAM so I don't really want to go there. 

I could have bought the white version, but the black version was £20 cheaper than the white when I got it, so that's why.

If the heat-spreader was solid (without those cut-outs on the top), then you could simply use painting tape and cardboard to mask off the PCB. However, since the cut-outs are actually there I strongly recommend you yo disassemble the RAM

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

Yeah, this is my first PC build so I do kinda want to steer away from disassembling them, if possible...

if so don't do it sparing on it it's very very dangerous ! you can damage connectors and throw them in the trash! disassembling it's easier and will cost you less problems and risk :) 

4 minutes ago, Pkillerjd said:

if so don't do it sparing on it it's very very dangerous ! you can damage connectors and throw them in the trash! disassembling it's easier and will cost you less problems and risk :) 

How easy is disassembling them? And do I need things like thermal pads, because I see some places say you do, others you don't. Some places say you need special paints, otherwise the RAM with overheat, others don't. It's a grey area and especially for me, a first time builder, I don't want to risk anything, so I think I'll just have to live with it being black :/

How easy is disassembling them? And do I need things like thermal pads, because I see some places say you do, others you don't. Some places say you need special paints, otherwise the RAM with overheat, others don't. It's a grey area and especially for me, a first time builder, I don't want to risk anything, so I think I'll just have to live with it being black :/

it is very easy and if you do things very calm you can reuse thermal pads. it will not overheat that is bullshit. 

8 minutes ago, Pkillerjd said:

it is very easy and if you do things very calm you can reuse thermal pads. it will not overheat that is bullshit. 

Ok, I will have to consider this. I am still not certain if I want to take the risk, but I'll keep it in mind.

33 minutes ago, Pkillerjd said:

Also, the paint I have linked above, would this work?

I don't think the paint would be a problem since RAM doesn't get nearly hot enough for high temp paint.

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

4 minutes ago, NinjaSandvich said:

Yes it's fine 

2 minutes ago, dany_boy said:

I don't think the paint would be a problem since RAM doesn't get nearly hot enough for high temp paint.

But does the paint need to be non-conductive and things like that? This is enamel paint so, as I understand, it is made to go on radiators so heat isn't the problem.

Yes it's fine 

Ok, that is reassuring. Maybe I will give it a go at some point then. :)

But does the paint need to be non-conductive and things like that? This is enamel paint so, as I understand, it is made to go on radiators so heat isn't the problem.

It's not a problem if you spray it on the armor alone...  it's a problem if you spray it without disassembling it

It's not a problem if you spray it on the armor alone...  it's a problem if you spray it without disassembling it

Ok, that makes sense.

Thanks.