How to do it wrong: Psu cover

BleakMaker

In my country there are two types of Acrylic Xt and cast.

• Xt= is flattened Acrylic so it becomes bigger this also means that the tension is very big in acrylic itself. Therefore if you bend it will almost every time crack if not immediately after a day or when painting if the paint comes in the micro cracks    (I used this because it was cheaper and Reading is for losers...)
  • Cast Or gegoten in dutch, is just molten acrylic poured into the right size and thickness. this does not have the big tension and is the best and the only choice if your gonna bend, Drill, Saw, Etc.. (this is what I am going to use. But this is more expensive)

So my first plate cracked when i was painting and right now it cracked all the way through. and the painting was terrible so i learned from it and will try again.\

Hope you guys don't make the same mistake as i did good luck!

20170219_184216.jpg

Sometimes it's the human imperfections that makes things beautiful.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Sometimes it's the human imperfections that makes things beautiful.

Yeah but i hate it when these imperfections cost me money and the weekend:/

5 hours ago, Mark17 said:

Yeah but i hate it when these imperfections cost me money and the weekend:/

We've all been there bro, just learn from it and keep your chin up!

why acrylic? why not alumininum or steel sheet? took me a few to even find the crack, you may be able to fill the crack with something to hide it

10 hours ago, jonnylaw13 said:

why acrylic? why not alumininum or steel sheet? took me a few to even find the crack, you may be able to fill the crack with something to hide it

No this was an early picture the crack grew when the paint dried. I tried melting it together with aceton but it did not work due to the tension ripping it apart. answering why i did not use aliminium or metal this is because creating a good bend with these materials is almost impossible without a bending machine . and if the metal is so thin that you could bend it by hand it's very difficult to keep it in that shape due to it being very weak. another thing that made me choose Acrylic was that it let's light trough for the led lighting. Hope that answers everything.

On 2/20/2017 at 11:24 AM, Mark17 said:

No this was an early picture the crack grew when the paint dried. I tried melting it together with aceton but it did not work due to the tension ripping it apart. answering why i did not use aliminium or metal this is because creating a good bend with these materials is almost impossible without a bending machine . and if the metal is so thin that you could bend it by hand it's very difficult to keep it in that shape due to it being very weak. another thing that made me choose Acrylic was that it let's light trough for the led lighting. Hope that answers everything.

i have a hand made steel basement cover so you dont gotta tell me about bending without tools lol but your bend would be easy compaired to mine, but yeah sheet metal isnt going to let light through lol

5 hours ago, jonnylaw13 said:

i have a hand made steel basement cover so you dont gotta tell me about bending without tools lol but your bend would be easy compaired to mine, but yeah sheet metal isnt going to let light through lol

Wow sorry.... how should i know.

18 hours ago, Mark17 said:

Wow sorry.... how should i know.

i believe i am the one whos sorry, rereading i dont think my comment came off the way i had intended

On 24/02/2017 at 0:23 AM, jonnylaw13 said:

i believe i am the one whos sorry, rereading i dont think my comment came off the way i had intended

Okay no worries we're good

On 25/02/2017 at 6:37 AM, DIY tech said:

The texture on that cover is dope. Man just wooooooooooow.

haha thank you!

wait you can save this..... get someone with a bit of airbrushing skill and I am sure they can make corsair logo look like it is an old ship sailing through a storm.

kind of looks this way to me anyways....

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

12 hours ago, Jim-B said:

wait you can save this..... get someone with a bit of airbrushing skill and I am sure they can make corsair logo look like it is an old ship sailing through a storm.

kind of looks this way to me anyways....

The biggest problem are the cracks so even if i get the skills from a good artist the cracks will continue.

I have a new piece of the right acrylic so i will post a new topic within the next 5 days with the perfect one. I also found a better way to do the corsair logo so keep watching :P

3 hours ago, Mark17 said:

The biggest problem are the cracks so even if i get the skills from a good artist the cracks will continue.

I have a new piece of the right acrylic so i will post a new topic within the next 5 days with the perfect one. I also found a better way to do the corsair logo so keep watching :P

Makes sense, Do you know what caused the cracks? From what I can see in the picture it looks like the paint may have gone on a little too thick? 

I'm rubbish at painting so I cant really comment, but i know they say multiple thin coats is better than fewer thicker ones. 

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

19 hours ago, Jim-B said:

Makes sense, Do you know what caused the cracks? From what I can see in the picture it looks like the paint may have gone on a little too thick? 

I'm rubbish at painting so I cant really comment, but i know they say multiple thin coats is better than fewer thicker ones. 

yes it was my first paint job so like the big smart intelligent good looking guy I am I said to myself fuck everyone on the internet with their thin coats I want to finish it tonight.

And I fucked up.

The cracks were caused by using the wrong acrylic as I explained in the original message it is possible too use this sheet but requires delicate folding and drilling is a no no.

Acrylic can be a pain to work with. Have you considered using polycarbonate? Much less prone to cracking, though it does tend to pick up small surface scratches easier.

I don't know what I'm doing, and you can't stop me!

34 minutes ago, Neomuffins said:

Acrylic can be a pain to work with. Have you considered using polycarbonate? Much less prone to cracking, though it does tend to pick up small surface scratches easier.

Thanks for the tip tho!