Help me shopping for my side panel mod

Mobby Dick

Hey guys,

I am planning to do a side panel mod in april and I am currently looking for the right products to pick up (shipping to germany). First of all my specs:

Corsair 200r

Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 3

Gigabyte Windforce 2x OC GTX 960 (sff card)

1. U channel: 

I am not sure yet if I should go with 7x3mm or 6x4mm. The problem is that I am not sure if my side panel (~1mm thick) will fit in the 7x3mm channel. But I have to watch out with thicker channels since I have only ~7mm clearance from my side panel to my cpu cooler, so I want the products to be as thin as possible to aviod scraching the window with my cooler.

I was currently looking to buy one of these two (if you have other suggestions just let me know):

7x3mm

6x4mm (I might look for a shorter and cheaper one)

2. Acrylic:

I think I am just going to go the safe bet and buy it from a big online store in germany, which prices are not too bad. However, I am not quite sure if 3mm thickness is good?

https://www.caseking.de/acrylglas-gs-transparent-farblos-in-400x400mm-mowi-028.html#comments

3. LED's:

Since I am a poor student I am planning to buy every part for an RGB kit seperately and solder it together. But I am not quite sure wich one to buy, since one is 2m and the other one 5m, but they are both the same price (if you have better suggestions for an led strip let me know):

1. Option

2. Option

I will use potentiometers to control the RGB and hook them up to my PSU.

Thanks in advance :) 

Off topic- Msi offers some SFF gtx 1050ti's which perform the same as a 960 if you dont want to sli. Might be cheaper.

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

2 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

-SNIP-

That looks like a good start to me, you will probably want to use the smaller U channel since the case material isn't very thick, alternatively you can cut the side panel and use a paint marker to match the cut silver edge and have no channel also. I have a guide here on Window Modding for more details. For the RGB LED's you would be better off getting SMD5050 RGB kits they aren't that expensive and would work much more elegantly. 

3 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Off topic- Msi offers some SFF gtx 1050ti's which perform the same as a 960 if you dont want to sli.

Thanks, but I don't feel like buying a new GPU yet. Also I wouldn't buy another sff card for my case, since it looks ridiculously tiny :D 

3 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

Thanks, but I don't feel like buying a new GPU yet. Also I wouldn't buy another sff card for my case, since it looks ridiculously tiny :D 

My mistake I thought thats what you planned on buying, sorry. :P best of luck 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

-snip-

Thanks for your help. I read your Modding FAQ over and over (great job btw), but I still wasn't quite sure what would be best for a u channel.

Can you recommend any good RGB kits? My initial plan was to have an rgb strip of at least 2m lenght, so I could also make a rgb kit for my brother and father (2x30cm each). That would cost 10€ total, so ~3.5€ per kit, what is hard to beat. And the only problem I see with that is hiding the wires and potentiometers, and since I am planning to make a PSU cover in the future it shouldn't a problem. Also I want to gain some experience in soldering and stuff ^^ 

1 minute ago, Mobby Dick said:

Thanks for your help. I read your Modding FAQ over and over (great job btw), but I still wasn't quite sure what would be best for a u channel.

Can you recommend any good RGB kits? My initial plan was to have an rgb strip of at least 2m lenght, so I could also make a rgb kit for my brother and father (2x30cm each). That would cost 10€ total, so ~3.5€ per kit, what is hard to beat. And the only problem I see with that is hiding the wires and potentiometers, and since I am planning to make a PSU cover in the future it shouldn't a problem. Also I want to gain some experience in soldering and stuff ^^ 

The stuff you had linked would be the correct kind the one I re-linked would probably work best for the panels since the gap for the material is small. For RGB LED's keeping to the same website theses would be a plug and go solution with the controller and LED's with the connections.

RGB LED

wow those URL links are excessively long