which amp/dac for cal/hd600

Jack Russel

Hi guys, my friend recently gave me his HD600s and my search for a dac/amp has resumed. I was looking at a couple of options from my local store, some of them are: Calyx Pat ($88), Astell & Kern AK10 ($99) and FiiO E17K. I'd like to use this at home and on the go. How do these compare for this kind of usage? Also support for lower ohm would be cool to have too.

It looks like your budget is ~100$. I would heavily suggest a Magni 2/Modi 2 stack. I use my Schiit stack with my hd600s and they sound fantastic. However, the stack does cost ~240$. The Magni 2 will also work with low impedance sets, my Ostry KC06a's (16 ohm) run fine in the low gain mode. Im not sure how much this helps because it looks heavily outside your price range. however, it may be worth looking into. 

36 minutes ago, Ununhexium116 said:

It looks like your budget is ~100$. I would heavily suggest a Magni 2/Modi 2 stack. I use my Schiit stack with my hd600s and they sound fantastic. However, the stack does cost ~240$. The Magni 2 will also work with low impedance sets, my Ostry KC06a's (16 ohm) run fine in the low gain mode. Im not sure how much this helps because it looks heavily outside your price range. however, it may be worth looking into. 

Thanks for the response, that setup looks great but it doesn't seem like it would work as a portable setup. I'll keep it in mind though since it looks like a great home setup.