Securing Glass/Plexi Side window

Woofly94

Double sided sticky tape. Very thin. I did my custom window in my Dell xps studio, and it worked amazing.

1 minute ago, Void_Viking said:

Double sided sticky tape. Very thin. I did my custom window in my Dell xps studio, and it worked amazing.

That would look horrible, especially after repeated removals

Gaming Rig:  Case: Modified  NZXT H440 Black/Red | Storage: 512GB Samsung 960 Pro SSD & 3TB WD Black HDD | CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K | Motherboard: Z270 Sabertooth TUF Mark 1 | PSU: 1000W EVGA P2 | Graphics Card: GTX Titan X Pascal | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz | Cooling: X3 RES, CoolStream XE 360 Rad, Gold EK Supremacy EVO, D5 PWM EK Pump, Ice Dragon Nano Fluid 2Litre | Fans: 6x Corsair SP120 PWM Fans 1x Corsair AF 140 | Cables: CableMod Black/Red Braided cable kit | Case Mods: Tempered Glass front panel & Tempered Glass Side Panel (Finished) 

Setup: Monitors: Ben XR3501 2x Acer GN246HLBbid 24 | Keyboard: K70 & K95 Vengeace RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Razer Deathadder & Corsair Scimitar RGB | TV: 43" LG 4K Smart TV, 50" Samsung 4K 

Laptop: ASUS ZenBook UX310UA-FB097T

Racing Cockpit Setup  GT Omega Pro with TV stand | 52 inch Bush Smart TV | Fanatec CS v2.5 | Fanatec CSL Elite LC | Fanatec P1 & Formula Rim | Corsair Strafe Blue MX RGB

Racing Cockpit PC: Case: Unknown cheap case from Amazon (modified to fit GTX 1080 & Cooler) | Storage: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro | CPU: i7 7700k | Motherboard: MSI Z170 | PSU: 750W EVGA Gold | Graphics Card: GTX 1080 | RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB 2400mhz | Cooling: Hydro 100i | Fans: 4x Corsair SP120 PWN fans | Cables: Standard PSU Cables | Case Mods: Making room for GTX 1080 & Cooler.

1 minute ago, Woofly94 said:

That would look horrible, especially after repeated removals

Ohhhhhh

My bad. After taking a closer look, it wouldn't look right.

My window was placed from the inside of the exsisting panel (I cut the window into it). So on mine you couldn't see the take from the outside.

( I think someone offered a similar solution to this --->  I'd go with drilling holes and inserting standoff, just like how you put a motherboard down. Then drill the corresponding holes into the plexiGlass for the screws. 

Just like my NZXT s340 Elite is set up. That would be your best bet IMO.

Good lcuk bro! Hope to see an update :D

3 minutes ago, Void_Viking said:

Ohhhhhh

My bad. After taking a closer look, it wouldn't look right.

My window was placed from the inside of the exsisting panel (I cut the window into it). So on mine you couldn't see the take from the outside.

( I think someone offered a similar solution to this --->  I'd go with drilling holes and inserting standoff, just like how you put a motherboard down. Then drill the corresponding holes into the plexiGlass for the screws. 

Just like my NZXT s340 Elite is set up. That would be your best bet IMO.

Good lcuk bro! Hope to see an update :D

Yea I think the cleanest would be to tap threads and put thumbscrews in, guess I'll have to order a tap set, I'll update if you want to see it finished

Gaming Rig:  Case: Modified  NZXT H440 Black/Red | Storage: 512GB Samsung 960 Pro SSD & 3TB WD Black HDD | CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K | Motherboard: Z270 Sabertooth TUF Mark 1 | PSU: 1000W EVGA P2 | Graphics Card: GTX Titan X Pascal | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz | Cooling: X3 RES, CoolStream XE 360 Rad, Gold EK Supremacy EVO, D5 PWM EK Pump, Ice Dragon Nano Fluid 2Litre | Fans: 6x Corsair SP120 PWM Fans 1x Corsair AF 140 | Cables: CableMod Black/Red Braided cable kit | Case Mods: Tempered Glass front panel & Tempered Glass Side Panel (Finished) 

Setup: Monitors: Ben XR3501 2x Acer GN246HLBbid 24 | Keyboard: K70 & K95 Vengeace RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Razer Deathadder & Corsair Scimitar RGB | TV: 43" LG 4K Smart TV, 50" Samsung 4K 

Racing Cockpit Setup  GT Omega Pro with TV stand | 52 inch Bush Smart TV | Fanatec CS v2.5 | Fanatec CSL Elite LC | Fanatec P1 & Formula Rim | Corsair Strafe Blue MX RGB

Racing Cockpit PC: Case: Unknown cheap case from Amazon (modified to fit GTX 1080 & Cooler) | Storage: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro | CPU: i7 7700k | Motherboard: MSI Z170 | PSU: 750W EVGA Gold | Graphics Card: GTX 1080 | RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB 2400mhz | Cooling: Hydro 100i | Fans: 4x Corsair SP120 PWN fans | Cables: Standard PSU Cables | Case Mods: Making room for GTX 1080 & Cooler.

2 minutes ago, jonnylaw13 said:

just a thought... what about magnets?

Unless you had a long row of them it wouldn't be able to reliably hold up a sheet of glass. 

How come you don't just mod the standard side panel? Cut it so theres only a thin portion of metal around the edge, just enough to fit on to the case, and hole the glass in place.

On 2/18/2017 at 10:45 PM, W-L said:

Unless you had a long row of them it wouldn't be able to reliably hold up a sheet of glass. 

wouldnt a strong rare earth magnet in each corner do? id say roughly 10mm each, though that may lead to hazards when removing the glass

4 minutes ago, jonnylaw13 said:

wouldnt a strong rare earth magnet in each corner do? id say roughly 10mm each, though that may lead to hazards when removing the glass

A matching set would hold decently well but they usually take only a small bump for it to be dislodged which is the main concern since it's glass. Could be me just being overly cautious though. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

A matching set would hold decently well but they usually take only a small bump for it to be dislodged which is the main concern since it's glass. Could be me just being overly cautious though. 

maybe if there was a small rail or lip on the bottom to support from sliding downward would work, idk i have it in my head that one of the bigger case makers has magnets on a tempered glass window

1 minute ago, jonnylaw13 said:

maybe if there was a small rail or lip on the bottom to support from sliding downward would work, idk i have it in my head that one of the bigger case makers has magnets on a tempered glass window

Hmm maybe something to look into then all the one I've seen so far are standard thumb screws. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Hmm maybe something to look into then all the one I've seen so far are standard thumb screws. 

i want to say it was something Luke did a review of, within the last 6 months but then again i could be very wrong

On 2017-02-15 at 7:20 PM, Woofly94 said:

I was thinking of drilling holes in the glass/plexiglass and using some type of pinch pins I forgot what they are called (if someone could tell me what they are called would be great) but you push 2 ends together and push into the hole and they expand locking in place, and simple pull out with pliers.

The other option was thumb screws but can anyone recommend how I would create a thread on the case for thumb screws to work?

A bit late but I think you are looking for pop rivet. There aren't that strong to hold something heavy and sometimes the plastic deformed.

bearing_pop_rivet_2.jpgbearing_pop_rivet.jpg

On 20/02/2017 at 9:05 AM, ttaviett said:

A bit late but I think you are looking for pop rivet. There aren't that strong to hold something heavy and sometimes the plastic deformed.

bearing_pop_rivet_2.jpgbearing_pop_rivet.jpg

Those aren't what I am looking for.

On 20/02/2017 at 6:54 AM, jonnylaw13 said:

I was thinking of doing a rail, I've ordered the glass now it should be here in a week or so, what do you think of this design?

Untitled.png

On 19/02/2017 at 9:46 AM, BigDan1190 said:

How come you don't just mod the standard side panel? Cut it so theres only a thin portion of metal around the edge, just enough to fit on to the case, and hole the glass in place.

I was going to do that, but I want to keep the side panel because I want to put some designs on it and perhaps interchange the 2 panels.

On 20/02/2017 at 6:51 AM, W-L said:

Yeah I don't want to use magnets to hold a glass panel up lol

On 2/21/2017 at 9:47 AM, Woofly94 said:

Yeah I don't want to use magnets to hold a glass panel up lol

lol no sense of adventure but i think your intended design will work fine

@jonnylaw13@W-L@Void_Viking@BigDan1190

I decided to use 2x2cm of industrial velcro on all 4 corners to attach the glass, holds it up well.

Most likely be doing the top panel same as front panel in a week or so.

Here's an update on the finished dealio

Specs in my sig

ergtyrehrh.png

wetewtgewrgerger.png