can it run a server?

i have a really old PC

the specs are something like

756 mb ram

Pentium cpu

Can it run a Server I am thinking of running either mine craft server or cloud server

if you mean try a raspberry pi I don't have one

if you mean my old pc I will if it can run a server beacause its parts now I have to re assembele it

4 minutes ago, 27md said:

i have a really old PC

the specs are something like

756 mb ram

Pentium cpu

Can it run a Server I am thinking of running either mine craft server or cloud server

F*CK NO

Sorry, but with a Pentium, and less then 1GB of RAM, like @ElectronicsWIzardy said, a Raspberry Pi wuold have better specs and performance than that.

IF you like, i coudl throw together a cheap but reliable server build plan.

Total cost would be a couple hundred

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

F*CK NO

Sorry, but with a Pentium, and less then 1GB of RAM, like @ElectronicsWIzardy said, a Raspberry Pi wuold have better specs and performance than that.

IF you like, i coudl throw together a cheap but reliable server build plan.

Total cost would be a couple hundred

is it possible to run a server on raspberry pi?

4 minutes ago, 27md said:

wow raspberry pi really have better specs

Yes and it's only $35 USD

and it can run a server 

1 minute ago, 27md said:

is it possible to run a server on raspberry pi?

No.

The only reason i brought up a Pi is to give a comparison to the performance of that PC, and how ineffective it would be.

You dont even have enough RAM to run Windows XP, you would have to go Windows 98 at minimum, which MInecraft doesnt work on.

Feasably, a 'capable' server would cost a few hundred dollars/pounds.

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

even with linux you still wont be able to run minecraft cause it needs 1GB of ram min for server that is recommended. with that specs i would only be able to run is a low end web server for personal use or low hit web site and not much

You can actually run a minecraft server on a pi, though it will not support a lot of players at once. 2-3 players with only a few plugins should work.

UI/UX Designer
CPU:
Intel i5 6600k @ 4.4GHz, Noctua NH D-15, GPU: MSI GTX 970, RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4, MoBo: AsRock Z170 extreme4 ATX, Storage: 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 128GB Toshiba M.2 SSD + 1TB WD Blue, PSU: Antec 650W, Fractal Design Define S

3 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

No.

The only reason i brought up a Pi is to give a comparison to the performance of that PC, and how ineffective it would be.

You dont even have enough RAM to run Windows XP, you would have to go Windows 98 at minimum, which MInecraft doesnt work on.

You can't run windows on an ARM architecture, at least not full windows and especially not windows 98, second of all a raspberry pi 2 has 1gb of ram and windows server 2016 & windows 10 will both run on 512mb of ram (Not install, but they will run if you install on 756mb then go down to 512mb for instance in a VM) Even though again full Windows with a NT kernel will not run on a Raspberry Pi or any other ARM device***

3 hours ago, 27md said:

why to use windows when I can use Linux and it's lighter?

Yes, Linux is the only logical choice for Raspberry Pi's at the moment. You could very easily get Debian installed on a raspberry pi and install owncloud and have your very own home dropbox or google drive equivalent.

it's like asking a toddler to ace a math exam for people who are in year 12!

you are better off getting a Raspberry Pi and using that!

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

4 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

No.

Just a few corrections here:

1) You can use a Raspberry Pi as a server. Not sure about Minecraft specifically but the "cloud server" is definitely possible.

2) You can run Server 2003 on 512MB of RAM, it's not a pleasant experience but even with 16GB of RAM 2003 isn't a pleasant experience.

-KuJoe

21 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

No.

Windows XP minimum required RAM is 64 MB. Recommended RAM is 128MB. I don't know where you get your information from. Windows XP would happily run on 768 MB of RAM. Infact, that would be considered a LOT of RAM for Windows XP.

@OP: You could run a small Minecraft server for a few people on that computer using Windows XP with 512MB RAM assigned to it. It'll be fine.

and getting some more ram of ebay isnt an option?? i bet its cheap right now . The ram is it ddr1, 2 ,3 ??. =)

Before buying a PI, maybe look at what you want to do with the server,

yes it can run a cloud server/basic web server will it be fast no will it work yes make sure to get a server version of linux (ubuntu server would probly be easiest for you) that's just a command line since you won't be able to run anything fancier. on that you should be able to host a owncloud or really any cloud storage software. good luck

I'm glad that PPL talked some sense here, there's no point honestly in re-inventing the wheel :D

On 18.2.2017 at 4:22 PM, gdb123 said:

and getting some more ram of ebay isnt an option?? i bet its cheap right now . The ram is it ddr1, 2 ,3 ??. =)

even if it is 5 bucks it is still 5 bucks wasted on junk.

http://www.banana-pi.org/m2u.html this would do better than a pi for a server. cloud would be fine because you do have a sata port for a hard drive 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs