To core or not to core...

Hi

So it's that time again upgrade time so I have a few questions. 

My current  setup looks like this 

Desktop 

i7 4770k

16gb memory 

256gb ssd

3tb hdd

Asus 770gtx

Laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad Y550p) 

i7

16gb

256 ssd

The problem  I have with my  current setup is graphics card,  ssd to small and laptop  to big and slow. 

The question  is should I go with mid range laptop and a new beast of desktop  or should I go with say something like razer blade with a core. 

If I look at price the first option will be  about 1k ish more In general I can  obviously go money shit and spend 5k on a desktop. 

I use my desktop for gaming  and the occasional movie and for development because  laptop is very very fast and then I use my laptop  when I am travelling. 

I had a look at a few reviews on the razer core including Linus videos and it seems  that most  people  say it might not yet fully ready  to move over. 

Opinions? 

upgrade the gpu in your desktop and call it a day, if you ever run into a huge cpu bottleneck or something like that you can always carry over the gpu to a new build.

Yeah that  was another  option the only  problem  is the laptop.  If I travel  and have  to use it for a while  its very  painful. 

I'm not a huge fan of the latop + gpu dock setup. It's so expensive, that you can get a similar performing desktop and laptop for almost the same price.

If you keep laptop and desktop as seperate machines, you can optimize them for their use cases. Personally, I don't need a dedicated gpu in my mobile machines, since the low powered ones don't deliver the kind of performance I would want for gaming and the 1070/1080 are too power hungry for a light and silent laptop.

So I opted for a gaming desktop/workstation with superior cooling, low noise and decent performance and an ultrabook. If I add up the prices, I'm still cheaper than a blade + core + gpu. Ok, I can't game on the go, but that's something I'm willing to sacrifice for the benefits of a decent desktop and light laptop.

edit: + You already own a pretty powerful desktop. I would say, a blade + core with the same GPU won't be any faster. If you overclock you desktop, the blade will even perform worse in some cases... (Almost) no laptop can beat an i7 4770k OC'd...

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

The core will be about 10% performance decrease.  I wonder how much increase  if any the 7 gen cpu  give me over 4th.

Also forgot  to say budget  about  5k ish. 

17 minutes ago, fbarnard said:

The core will be about 10% performance decrease.  I wonder how much increase  if any the 7 gen cpu  give me over 4th.

Also forgot  to say budget  about  5k ish. 

I would just upgrade your GPU and be done with it, you wont see much performance increase upgrading your CPU. You could buy a new laptop as well if you wish, but it looks fine to me for most basic uses (Word processing, YT, work, ect). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

4 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

I would just upgrade your GPU and be done with it, you wont see much performance increase upgrading your CPU. You could buy a new laptop as well if you wish, but it looks fine to me for most basic uses (Word processing, YT, work, ect). 

yeah leaning towards that. Just one thin i am not a basic user i am a programmer and my laptop will be used to program on.