FX6300 or G4560

I want to upgrade my pc into an entry level gaming pc. I have figured out most of the things i will buy except the cpu.

I want a cpu capable of multitasking (like gaming with chrome and skype in the background) and, of course, gaming.

I have been searching for cpu's and the best cpu that was under 100€ was amd fx 6300. Recently though the intel pentium g4560 came out wich has 5%-10% difference with an i3. I know that they are about the same (except from upgradeability which i dont want)

I also read somewhere if i choose the g4560 it wouldn't work with windows 7.

P.S. The rest of the specs are going to be:

MSI H110M Pro-D

8gb ram (either ddr4 or ddr3 depending on cpu)                                                 

EVGA 430W 80plus

Gigabyte Radeon RX460 2gb windforce oc (will be upgraded later into an rx470 or 480 for better performance and a little bit of VR)

Thanks, in advance.

intel. the AM3 platform is completely dead, so even if you want to upgrade in like 3 years you'll be stuck in a useless mobo.

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

6 minutes ago, perfecta said:

I also read somewhere if i choose the g4560 it wouldn't work with windows 7.

There's a difference between compatibility and support.

You can run a Windows 7 OS assuming you have the minimum specifications.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/10737/windows-7-system-requirements

https://youtu.be/DDR5qiwDrV0?t=104

For your question. Intel or wait for Ryzen. Never get an AMD Processor of older architecture unless you can get it for free or an insanely good deal.

the new amd zen series is due out by the summer and indicators are it will be good, hold out as it will either be a better option than the g4560 or at least make intel drop prices to compete a bit. 

you won't be able to multitask much on a g4560 without hurting your game performance. skype isn't exactly lightweight. wait for ryzen benchmarks etc, its due for release in early may.

For multitasking 6300 is better but it is not worth. Wait for Ryzen and save some money while doing that for 4 core 4 thread Ryzen CPU

8 minutes ago, Deep Fried Mars Bar said:

the new amd zen series is due out by the summer and indicators are it will be good, hold out as it will either be a better option than the g4560 or at least make intel drop prices to compete a bit. 

March actually.

12 minutes ago, Deep Fried Mars Bar said:

are you thinking of polaris GPUS? and Zen is meant to be in early march

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

6 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

What mobo are you considering for the FX6300 ? Because it wont work on a H110 :p. An overclocked FX6300 overall will do better then a G4560, the problem is you need a decent mobo and luck in binning lottery, because the FX6300 CPU's have to worst binning i've seen. At stock strictly for gaming most gaming scenarios (as in taking into account gaming as a whole, not just recent years) the g4560 will do better, VR even more, but for general usage and multitasking an FX6300 will do better. Overclocking changes that however, but you would need at least 4.6Ghz+ for it to do well in a VR experience for example, or for even a good 60 FPS gaming experience, and that's where the problems are, since rarely did i see FX6300's CPU's clocking high.

Thanks for the reply!

The mobo i was going with but forgot to write is Asrock 960GM-GS3, because i don't really care for overclocking.

From what i read the g4560 is the best choice right now. Some also said to wait for ryzen but from the prices i've seen it goes over my budget limit.

One final question. Will kaby lake cpu's work with windows 7?

1 hour ago, ybriK said:

There's a difference between compatibility and support.

You can run a Windows 7 OS assuming you have the minimum specifications.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/10737/windows-7-system-requirements

https://youtu.be/DDR5qiwDrV0?t=104

For your question. Intel or wait for Ryzen. Never get an AMD Processor of older architecture unless you can get it for free or an insanely good deal.

I heard that intel kaby lake processors  don't support windows 7 and i was a bit worried

1 hour ago, tlink said:

you won't be able to multitask much on a g4560 without hurting your game performance. skype isn't exactly lightweight. wait for ryzen benchmarks etc, its due for release in early may.

If i am using skype and i see an fps drop will lowering the graphics settings help?

Also i probably won't be using skype with triple A games like witcher or metal gear solid v.Or i will use skype on my phone when playing these games

2 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Your better of forgetting it then, that board will drag it down....

Games like that will run pretty bad on the G4560 btw, while its 4 threaded, the CPU is still a dual core, so expect stutter in many triple A titles, in all honesty if this is a PC you plan to keep for a long time and do not plan any upgrades in that period, either wait longer to see if Ryzen will also introduce some budget builds or go for an i5 on the 1151 socket, or skylake, or if on a budget look out for a good deal on a FX6350, or 83XX CPU's and appropriate motherboards for overclocking, if you look good enough your bound to find them, i got mine for very little as well, people will probably disagree with me but for a long time usage build with no future upgrades i just can't see the G4560 as a good option for either gaming or general workloads with multitasking involved.

Thanks again for the quick reply!

i could buy an i5 without buying a graphics card since i will buy one next year, but i want to play games this year too.

i have a 768p monitor (which i will upgrade next year along with the graphics card.

also in Greece i haven't seen any used cpu's or other used parts, so the cheapest i5 is at 180€ But if ryzen cpu's do come out in march, i can wait to get it

1 hour ago, perfecta said:

I heard that intel kaby lake processors  don't support windows 7 and i was a bit worried

tl;dr it works. consider watching the video anyway for more info 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

I have an FX-6300 at 4.4 GHz. Not tuned it beyond that, I just used the AMD Overdrive overclocking tool to automatically O/C while keeping it within safe margins.

Runs well enough for my needs, GTA V ran OK too, was bottlenecked by my now retired GeForce 9500 GT. It was also a not entirely legitimate copy of the game, so I can't use it as definite proof of performance.

11 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Well the ryzen launch might also cause the market to drop prices (but this may take up to a month or two after launch), then maybe you will be able to get cheaply (basically at a deal or sale) either an i5 system (even from the haswell era its a lot better then the G4560) or a cheap overclocking capable AMD system (FX's low IPC issue can be negated by a decent overclock thus giving you a decent octa core cpu). The G4560 is a good transit CPU, if you plan to upgrade later, but its definitely not something i would want for a long time, personally had my fill of dual core CPU's even hyper threaded ones. 

Thanks I will wait for either benchmarks or for prices to drop.

But i want to ask something about my old pc (which i will put on the tv as a  media center). Sometimes it doesn't start up (For some reason i have to disconnect the usb devices on the front of the pc for it to start) and when it goes into sleep mode i have to unplug it and then try again. It is a prebuilt acer extensa E series from 2006 or 2007. Some times during startup it automaticly restarts! I would like to know the cause of this.

Thanks for the help.

11 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

tl;dr it works. consider watching the video anyway for more info 

Thanks but i will probably buy ryzen or wait for the i5 prices to drop

I don't really care about overclocking, because i am afraid it might overheat. Also don't worry about the graphics card mine is 6600 GT!

7 hours ago, huilun02 said:

If you plan to sit on a 100euros processor, I'd rather you save for an i5 or wait for Ryzen. Maybe even hold off on the GPU so you can afford a more respectable CPU now. 

Also get the 1050Ti instead of the 460 if it costs about the same. 

I will buy an i5 or ryzen. Also i want an rx 460 instead of the 1050ti because i will upgrade the graphics card anyways and i want to save those 50€ for the parts that i wont upgrade

11 hours ago, perfecta said:

Thanks I will wait for either benchmarks or for prices to drop.

But i want to ask something about my old pc (which i will put on the tv as a  media center). Sometimes it doesn't start up (For some reason i have to disconnect the usb devices on the front of the pc for it to start) and when it goes into sleep mode i have to unplug it and then try again. It is a prebuilt acer extensa E series from 2006 or 2007. Some times during startup it automaticly restarts! I would like to know the cause of this.

Thanks for the help.

I have a similar issue. MSI 970 SLI board, stops at post code 99 if there is a printer connected. Does it with both my normal HP ink jet and an NCR thermal printer, others have had the same issue too, printer causes it to stop at 99 but jabbing the reset button fixes it.

18 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I have a similar issue. MSI 970 SLI board, stops at post code 99 if there is a printer connected. Does it with both my normal HP ink jet and an NCR thermal printer, others have had the same issue too, printer causes it to stop at 99 but jabbing the reset button fixes it.

yes i hve an hp printer connected so what do i have to do for it to work normally?

4 hours ago, perfecta said:

yes i hve an hp printer connected so what do i have to do for it to work normally?

Disconnect the printer at boot up, or just jab the reset button. That fixes it for me anyway.

5 hours ago, perfecta said:

wait what reset button?