how much do I need to spend to get into VR?

Bondy3

I know very little about VR,  I have the samsung VRgear for my phone and thats pretty much it. 

my desktop has an i3, 128gb ssd, 8gb memory and a GTX960  and im not sure it would be able to really support anything VR,  would I be able to use it or would I have to get a new one?

my wife really wants to get into VR,  How much would I be looking to spend if I wanted to get a nice VR set-up for her for her B-day?

Please break it down into 2 catagories

1)  how much the PC would cost that can power the VR

2) how much the actual VR gear will cost (headset, headphones, controllers, sensors and whatever else we will need)

Thanks

the vr headset price if you get a htc vive it would be 800 usd and then taxes depending on state and that comes with everything you need to use it out of the box. it comes with earbuds but it has a standard 3mm audio jack so you can plug any headphones you want into it but its not required it also include drill into the wall wall mounts for the light houses. though you can also just place them on high furniture and that tends to work as well.

8 minutes ago, Bondy3 said:

Intel Core i5-7600 229.99$

Intel Core i7-7700 314.99$ 

either of those cpus will work make sure to update your bios before you put in the new cpu though

as for gpu you could go for a 

gtx 1060 220$(ish depending on the model)

gtx 1070 400$(ish depends on the model you pick)

though id recommend going for a 1070 over a 1060 but a 1060 will do the job

you could also go the rx480 route for about 220$ though its more a preference of whether you prefer amd over nvidia 

also you'll have to get a new power supply 

at around 600 or 700 watts which will probably be around about 100$ dollars for one

so about 815 dollars if you go with all the higher end parts and 550 if you go with all the lower end either way vr will work its just one will look a bit nicer you may also be able to go with a lower end cpu but you'll have to go crawling through a bunch of benchmarks and the ones i listed i've used with my vive so yeah about 1615 withough taxes or 1350$ if you add the headset price and then make sure to add about 100 at least to that for budgeting for the games

2 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

Intel Core i5-7600 229.99$

Intel Core i7-7700 314.99$ 

either of those cpus will work make sure to update your bios before you put in the new cpu though

as for gpu you could go for a 

gtx 1060 220$(ish depending on the model)

gtx 1070 400$(ish depends on the model you pick)

though id recommend going for a 1070 over a 1060 but a 1060 will do the job

you could also go the rx480 route for about 220$ though its more a preference of whether you prefer amd over nvidia 

also you'll have to get a new power supply 

at around 600 or 700 watts which will probably be around about 100$ dollars for one

so about 815 dollars if you go with all the higher end parts and 550 if you go with all the lower end either way vr will work its just one will look a bit nicer you may also be able to go with a lower end cpu but you'll have to go crawling through a bunch of benchmarks and the ones i listed i've used with my vive so yeah about 1615 withough taxes or 1350$ if you add the headset price and then make sure to add about 100 at least to that for budgeting for the games

That is quite a bit, but I suppose I expected as much.  thanks for taking the time to walk through that

1 minute ago, Bondy3 said:

That is quite a bit, but I suppose I expected as much

you could also go for an oculus rift without touch controllers for 600 though that's just the headset and one camera so you cant walk around a room and no hand presence either i personally much prefer the vives overall experience and room scale vr is Really fun