Might need to upgrade

dragno

Hi there, 

This is my current rig which i built in 2013, last year i upgraded the GPU and Monitor. I was wondering should i start looking to upgrade my other parts around the GPU or should just start from scratch.

Just quickly I use my rig for gaming mostly and I abit of digital art(2D & 3D).

CPU: I7 4770 (3.4GHz)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula

Ram: DDR3 32GB Team Group

Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti

HD: SAMSUNG 500GB 840EVO

2HD: SAMSUNG 500GB 830EVO (Mostly stores games)

Cooler: Corsair H80i

Monitor: ASUS PG348Q ROG Swift

12 minutes ago, dragno said:

Hi there, 

This is my current rig which i built in 2013, last year i upgraded the GPU and Monitor. I was wondering should i start looking to upgrade my other parts around the GPU or should just start from scratch.

Why do you feel the need to upgrade? Looks like a pretty bonkers system to me.

Here's to the crazy ones...

4 minutes ago, dragno said:

Hi there, 

Monitor, Cooler, both hard drives (ssds), GPU, and RAM should be ok. If you upgrade anything make it the mobo and CPU because CPU is outdated so if you get new mobo you can get new CPU. Maybe wait for AMD Ryzen and see if anything appeals to you.

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

16 minutes ago, dragno said:

Hi there, 

CPU cooler. Maybe a new GPU(?)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

22 minutes ago, dragno said:

Hi there, 

Sir! I would totally LOVE to have what you got right there! Believe me. It should run EVERY game at over 60fps. Why would you change it? Even though it is a little bit old 'forth gen vs seventh gen' but it doesn't matter at all.. you should keep it like that for another 2-3 years.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

I'd grab a 4790K on the cheap, along with a better cooler (Corsair h115i or NZXT Kraken X52/62). What is your PSU?

The 840 EVO has an unfixable bug where data that has been stored on the drive for a long time becomes very slow to retrieve. If this doesn't bother you, it's fine. The overall longevity of the drive isn't an issue, and new data won't be affected for a while. If it does bother you, an 850 EVO would be a good choice.

Other than these two things, your system is still very solid.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

I'm running a Seasonic X 760W 80+ 

might have to much power for what i need.

Thanks for the replies guys

1 hour ago, dragno said:

-snip-

If you had to upgrade something, I'd recommend a 4790K and overclocking it with a better cooler (The H80i might not cut it if you overclock).

Digital drawing tends to prefer faster CPU cores more than anything. This is what I've noted with Photoshop, Sai, and Clip Paint Studio.

Everything else seems pretty solid. Curious, what drawing programs do you use?

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/02/2017 at 11:33 PM, scottyseng said:

If you had to upgrade something, I'd recommend a 4790K and overclocking it with a better cooler (The H80i might not cut it if you overclock).

Digital drawing tends to prefer faster CPU cores more than anything. This is what I've noted with Photoshop, Sai, and Clip Paint Studio.

Everything else seems pretty solid. Curious, what drawing programs do you use?

I use Maya, Zbrush and Photoshop 

Hey just add I'm running 2 x Benq RL2455 and 1x Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q as my display.

I'm just wondering performance wise i'm getting around 50 - 80 FPS in BF1 on Ultra settings I'm not complaining but im just wondering if my cpu is bottleneck. In the Division im getting 50+ solid and that is on Ultra.

Also my FPS thats a nose dive to 20FPS when im in the character loadout not in a match in BF1, i don't know why? 

And now that i've seen the new 1080 ti and Ryzen i really thinking of just keeping this rig as backup and just start from scratch.

2 hours ago, dragno said:

-snip-

You can tell what is the bottleneck if you monitor the GPU and CPU usage using task manager / MSI afterburner while gaming. If your CPU is at 100% or near it and your GPU usage is jumping and up and down, then you have a CPU bottleneck.

If the GPU is at 90% and up, then the GPU is the bottleneck.

Oh, have you overclocked the 980 Ti?

It's weird because your CPU should still be really capable of gaming.

6 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

You can tell what is the bottleneck if you monitor the GPU and CPU usage using task manager / MSI afterburner while gaming. If your CPU is at 100% or near it and your GPU usage is jumping and up and down, then you have a CPU bottleneck.

If the GPU is at 90% and up, then the GPU is the bottleneck.

Oh, have you overclocked the 980 Ti?

It's weird because your CPU should still be really capable of gaming.

Thanks you the reply I will monitor that closely, I have set to game mode using the ASUS software.

1 minute ago, dragno said:

Thanks you the reply I will monitor that closely, I have set to game mode using the ASUS software.

But are you using MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision to overclock the GPU? You want to at least turn the power limit / temp target to max. It'll stabilize the highest clock of the GPU for you.

and if you want to play some more, unlock the voltage control, max that out, and start adding core clock / memory clock, though it might take some time in Heaven to get it to be stable.

On 10/03/2017 at 9:38 PM, scottyseng said:

But are you using MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision to overclock the GPU? You want to at least turn the power limit / temp target to max. It'll stabilize the highest clock of the GPU for you.

and if you want to play some more, unlock the voltage control, max that out, and start adding core clock / memory clock, though it might take some time in Heaven to get it to be stable.

Hey i've spent sometime doing some overclocking and boy its fun doing it

Here is my result of it 

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/draec/

MSI Afterburner Settings

Core Voltage: +20 mv

Power Limit Max

Temp Limit Max  < Priority Set

Core Clock: +95 MHz

Memory Clock: +400 MHz

Temp (benching) 75 -  78

Temp (in-game) 78 - 80

It's not much i think i know other have overclocked it higher i think but it's what i am comfortable with. 

4 minutes ago, dragno said:

-snip-

Yeah, you should have quite a bit more overclocking room than that, but the temps are kind of holding you down.

Should be easily be able to get to 1400Mhz and up, but yeah, it depends on cooling / the card.

Well everytime i did got it up to 1400Mhz it would run the bench fine, but after i would let it run some more but it would crash. I would give more juice still lead to a driver fail or a hard freeze.