Asus z170 pro gaming vs Gigabyte z170x gaming 7

Afabril

Hello,

I have up to 200 US dollars to spend on a MB and decided on either Asus Z170 Pro Gaming or Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7.

Of course if u have a better recommendation around this budget i'll appreciate it.

Thanks..!!

Full PC specs:

Intel core I7-6700k

GTX GeForce 1070 Gigabyte G1 Gaming

Phanteks Eclipse P400s

Vengeance LPX 2x8 DDR4-2400MHz

EVGA supernova 750W 80+gold full modular

Cryorig H7 cooler

1TB HDD

250 SSD samung 850 evo

I have the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mainboard and i like it. But i would prefer the mainboard from Gigabyte. Just because of the Estatics, 2 Lan Ports and more.

Cpu: i5 6600K Cooler: Brocken Eco Alpenföhn Graphics Card: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G RAM: Ballistix Sport DDR4 16 gig 2400mhz Mobo: Asus z170 Pro Gaming PSU: Corsair VS650 650 Watts Case: NZXT S340 Black 9_9 

My favourite Z170 is the Asus Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO  The ROG board is probably overpriced, though they do come with some amazing onboard sound cards and some other luxe features that may or may not be important to you. 

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

• 2 weeks later...

I choose the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 and a 6700K, but ran into several problems with stability, even at very mild CPU overclocking (4.1 - 4.2 Ghz).

Sometimes PCIe (Dual 1080's) and SATA devices wre not recognized during boot, Windows suffered from spontaneous reboots - even without any overclocking.

I have been through several BIOS upgrades and finally sent back the Gigabyte board.

I switched to the ASUS z170 Pro Gaming, and haven't had a single problem.

The 6700K is stable - 4.7 Ghz @ 1.380 Volts, and LLC level 5 using a 240mm AIO.

Of course, the Gigabyte board I got, could have been a faulty one, but to be honest, I wouldn't recommend that one to anybody. 

Cheers,

Søren

Asus Z270-E. It is cross compatible with Skylake/Kaby Lake, and has onboard wifi, dual m.2 slots, and is about $200 USD. If not, Z170 Pro Gaming. It is cheaper, so better value over the Gigabyte board.