How to make 390x default GPU over gt710

I have been using my pc for gaming for some time and it was fine. I have recently added a gt710 so I could have a second monitor. The gt710 worked fine but in game there was lots of lag because the gt710 was the default rendering GPU. There is not option in the nvidia control panel for default GPU. Any suggestions on how I can get my 390x to be the default GPU?

Specs:

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: MSI X99a SLI plus

GPU: powercolor r9 390x pcs+ and Gainward GT710

I have not overclocked anything other than the monitors. I would like to keep my warranty for my CPU and 390x and Mobo. I am fine with messing with the GT710

nvidia control pannel no defult gpu.png

normally, the GPU your main display is plugged into is your main GPU.

the question is which monkey told you to get a second GPU for a second monitor, i've gladly ran 4 displays off of one gpu several times :D

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the question is which monkey told you to get a second GPU for a second monitor, i've gladly ran 4 displays off of one gpu several times :D

THIS

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

6 minutes ago, Candriodgenie said:

I have been using my pc for gaming for some time and it was fine. I have recently added a gt710 so I could have a second monitor.

*looks up from her three monitors connected to a single, and only, R9 390X*  Erm... I have some bad news for you...

i have my main display pluged into my 390x.

The other display is a VGA only display and the 390x has no VGA port. If i was to not use the gt710 i would need about 80 dollars worth of cables and adaptors.

1 minute ago, Candriodgenie said:

that is not available in Australia

I am absolutely certain that you can source a DP to VGA adapter for cheap in Australia.

Firstly I have to go to physical stores

Secondly amazon Australia has like nothing on it

Thirdly no there are like no cheap adapters

1 minute ago, Candriodgenie said:

Firstly I have to go to physical stores

Cool, well, they're on eBay for about $4 with free shipping (Though you get the slow boat from China shipping that could take 4-8 weeks) a bit more if you want faster shipping.

I'm not sure why you 'have to go' to physical stores, but er... Okay then.  Enjoy screwing yourself over. o.O

I wish i could use online stores but i can't.

I was wondering if there was some like dirver hack of registry edit to solve the problem.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I had four plugged into my 390x...

I had four... But I never used the 4th one and it was above the other three and I felt a shelf of collectibles would look better up there over a neglected display.

4 VGA only monitors of 3 DP and 1 HDMI? Because there is no analogue port on the back of the 390x that i have

35 minutes ago, Candriodgenie said:

I have been using my pc for gaming for some time and it was fine. I have recently added a gt710 so I could have a second monitor. The gt710 worked fine but in game there was lots of lag because the gt710 was the default rendering GPU. There is not option in the nvidia control panel for default GPU. Any suggestions on how I can get my 390x to be the default GPU?

Specs:

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: MSI X99a SLI plus

GPU: powercolor r9 390x pcs+ and Gainward GT710

I have not overclocked anything other than the monitors. I would like to keep my warranty for my CPU and 390x and Mobo. I am fine with messing with the GT710

So you have one monitor plugged into the GT710 and one plugged into the r9 390 and both are working? But your games are using the GT710 as your main monitor. Right click desktop>Display settings>click on monitor>check off "make the my main display">Apply???? I don't really know I've never run nvidia with amd, Linus has a video where he did it once I guess I could try looking at that.

I think it's going to use the GPU that is plugged into the monitor to render, so if your using the monitor thats plugged into the GT710 it's going to render with the GT710 if your gaming monitor is plugged into the 390 it should render with the 390...maybe.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

so i have my 1080p 72Hz monitor plugged into my 390x via HDMI. (default display)

i have my old 1280 x 1024 monitor plugged into my gt710 via VGA.

Both work.

I have watched the LTT video. That was my inspiration.

3 minutes ago, Candriodgenie said:

so i have my 1080p 72Hz monitor plugged into my 390x via HDMI. (default display)

i have my old 1280 x 1024 monitor plugged into my gt710 via VGA.

Both work.

I have watched the LTT video. That was my inspiration.

Ok, so the games are being displayed on the 1080p monitor but being rendered with the GT710? Even with the same damn card this can be a pain, I know that even with SLI I've had issues.

PS.Yeah not alot of people have tried this because there are seemingly more direct solutions so you might not get a solution. 

Ok, so the games are being displayed on the 1080p monitor but being rendered with the GT710? 

That is my problem. I was hoping for a solution however ghetto it is.

can I see what your AMD display settings look like>?

Nvidia control panel>set up multiple display>Right click display 1> make primary display? I assume you've done this and didn't work.

What if you launch the game from the AMD gaming evolved app or us it to optimize the games, maybe it will over ride the application settings with the amd settings rendering it with the 390?

Nvidia control panel>set up multiple display>Right click display 1> make primary display? I assume you've done this and didn't work.

I could not do that. When I clicked identify it showed a 1 on both displayed though only one could be detected even using advanced detect.

What if you launch the game from the AMD gaming evolved app or us it to optimize the games, maybe it will over ride the application settings with the amd settings rendering it with the 390?

I could not get that to work even when it said the profiles for every game was enabled.

note: I have been using doom for most of my testing because it is the most demanding game I have.