Ubiquiti for router and wireless

itzzkolt

I have an old Netgear router which is also my main wireless solution, except for an old DD-WRT router in another building but that's beside the point.  I have a 3 story house and with the router itself in the basement doesn't cut it.  Not to mention the router itself drops out to the point where I can not access the gui - which after a couple of minutes resets or I have to unplug something; however it hasn't done that for a little.  I was first looking at good wireless routers I could get.  If I were to get one replace my current one, my current will go up in my room and serve as an access point.  However, I am looking into Ubiquiti for a solution to routing and wireless.  

I am currently looking at the UAP-AC-PRO to put on my main floor (2nd floor) and it should reach upstairs and down stairs without any issues and yes I would have to run a wire for it which is no problem.  I like their GUI and configuration and I don't mind running the controller software for anyone who mentions that.  For routing, I am looking at the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X which will replace the Netgear and so in the same place.  I will be likely setting up the Netgear router somewhere else just to get some use out of.  

I'm trying to find people who uses/have used Ubiquiti and can tell me if this is a good setup.  I only dealt with routers in the past and the world of access points are new.  I saw Linus make a tweet about using their APs and waiting for a server room update to see if he covers Ubiquiti in the mean time which I hope comes soon.

Kolt L

Web developer

Hi,

Linus actually already sort of covered the AP-AC-PROs in this video. Czech it out.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

1 minute ago, vojta.pokorny said:

Hi,

Linus actually already sort of covered the AP-AC-PROs in this video. Czech it out.

Alright, didn't see it.  I saw another video he had on Ubiquti AP's but it was old.  Thanks!

Kolt L

Web developer

Go the ERL over the ERX - much better product. 

12 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Go the ERL over the ERX - much better product. 

What's the difference between them.  I see the ERL is more expensive and 3 ports.  

Kolt L

Web developer

If you like the Unifi controller consider the USG rather than an edgerouter, as it is managed from the controller.

It is likely a lemon, but I've had a ERX randomly reset itself to defaults twice on me... quite a PITA.

5 hours ago, Scheer said:

If you like the Unifi controller consider the USG rather than an edgerouter, as it is managed from the controller.

It is likely a lemon, but I've had a ERX randomly reset itself to defaults twice on me... quite a PITA.

Wouldn't get the USG - terrible product that is very limited in what it can do.

On 13/02/2017 at 4:50 AM, itzzkolt said:

What's the difference between them.  I see the ERL is more expensive and 3 ports.  

Better performing model.  The ERX has limited RAM and onboard storage which complicates things, especially when doing firmware updates.