Same set of portforwarding rules for 2 IPs

alexnt

I have created a set of port forwarding rules for an online game for one pc(ip). Is it possible to use the same set of rules for a second ip?

You should be able to make another rule using the static IP of the other pc. what router are you using?

3 minutes ago, StrayanDropbear said:

You should be able to make another rule using the static IP of the other pc. what router are you using?

So if I create another same set of rules with a different name will I be able to forward it to the second IP? It is thomson tg585.

you cant forward the same port to two different IP addresses, the name doesnt matter, but you *CANT* have the same port go two places.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you cant forward the same port to two different IP addresses, the name doesnt matter, but you *CANT* have the same port go two places.

So how can I open the same ports for a game for 2 IPs?

This is the game.

1 minute ago, ganja7 said:

So how can I open the same ports for a game for 2 IPs?

not.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

not.

You mean I cannot??

Then how? If I set that the game ports are translated to another port range?

5 minutes ago, ganja7 said:

You mean I cannot??

Then how? If I set that the game ports are translated to another port range?

i'll put it like this: port forwarding isnt even meant to be used for the client side, there's other mechanisms in place for that. if a game requires every client to portforward, to me that means completely incompetent devs, but then again, that's something you can just expect from ubisoft...

EDIT: i'd also add, portfrowaring port 80 and 443 is such a gaping security hole i dont even wanna get into it...

It's the first time I face issues with game connectivity and my brother is already playing right now but I cant connect...

So any idea how?

In order for two devices on the same network to play the same game, the game and your router have to support UPNP. UPNP is a way for software on computers to request port forwarding from the router, it automates the setup process required. When using UPNP, you cannot have the same ports that the game uses set up in the manual forwarding section.

If you are sure that your router supports UPNP (nearly all routers bought in the last 5 years do), and has it enabled (lots of routers have it disabled by default), and you still have issues when both people on the LAN try to play the game at once, you will have to contact Ubisoft for support.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

3 minutes ago, brwainer said:

In order for two devices on the same network to play the same game, the game and your router have to support UPNP. UPNP is a way for software on computers to request port forwarding from the router, it automates the setup process required. When using UPNP, you cannot have the same ports that the game uses set up in the manual forwarding section.

If you are sure that your router supports UPNP (nearly all routers bought in the last 5 years do), and has it enabled (lots of routers have it disabled by default), and you still have issues when both people on the LAN try to play the game at once, you will have to contact Ubisoft for support.

I had it enabled but made no difference that's why I opened them manually.

Is it wrong to have manually opened ports and UPNP enabled at the same time generally? If I open a port in router, in software firewall and set the port in a program, for example utorrent, and have UPNP enabled in router, is it wrong?

UPNP and port forwarding are the same thing - UPNP allows a program to set up its own port forwarding. On better routers, you can actually see the rules made by UPNP in the port forwarding table, as dynamic rules. If you manually forward a specific port, then any attempts for that port to be set up by UPNP will fail (some routers won't tell the program that it failed, they just give precedence to the manually created rule).

If UPNP didn't work in your game, that is either an issue with the router (some have buggy UPNP that doesn't work properly) or the game doesn't use UPNP or it is broken in the game. In the latter case, you have to contact the game manufacturer and tell them that you are trying to play their game from two computers on the same network at a time, and are having issues. Either they will fix their game so it doesn't need port forwarding (unlikely, because it requires a completely different multiplayer method) or they will have to enable or fix UPNP. Or they will just ignore you and tell you nothing is wrong.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

6 minutes ago, brwainer said:

UPNP and port forwarding are the same thing - UPNP allows a program to set up its own port forwarding. On better routers, you can actually see the rules made by UPNP in the port forwarding table, as dynamic rules. If you manually forward a specific port, then any attempts for that port to be set up by UPNP will fail (some routers won't tell the program that it failed, they just give precedence to the manually created rule).

If UPNP didn't work in your game, that is either an issue with the router (some have buggy UPNP that doesn't work properly) or the game doesn't use UPNP or it is broken in the game. In the latter case, you have to contact the game manufacturer and tell them that you are trying to play their game from two computers on the same network at a time, and are having issues. Either they will fix their game so it doesn't need port forwarding (unlikely, because it requires a completely different multiplayer method) or they will have to enable or fix UPNP. Or they will just ignore you and tell you nothing is wrong.

I use the portforwarding as you described, UPNP and specified rules at the same time, and it works well. I read that the game has issues for a lot of people. I hope that ubisoft fixes the problems.

33 minutes ago, ganja7 said:

I use the portforwarding as you described, UPNP and specified rules at the same time, and it works well. I read that the game has issues for a lot of people. I hope that ubisoft fixes the problems.

Have you contacted Ubisoft support?

If not, please do that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Have you contacted Ubisoft support?

If not, please do that.

Not yet but I'm going to.

17 hours ago, manikyath said:

EDIT: i'd also add, portfrowaring port 80 and 443 is such a gaping security hole i dont even wanna get into it...

Am going slightly off-topic, but AFAIK if you do not have any web server running on that IP that you are forwarding it to, you shouldn't be running into any issues. I'm actually curious, what's the hole there because I have been running such setup for about a year now.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

4 hours ago, jj9987 said:

Am going slightly off-topic, but AFAIK if you do not have any web server running on that IP that you are forwarding it to, you shouldn't be running into any issues. I'm actually curious, what's the hole there because I have been running such setup for about a year now.

these two ports are together with 21 and 22 and a few others in a group of ports that essentially get "attacks" so regularly that its best to express them in "amount of attempts per day", the great majority of which is just bots going trough the entire range finding IP addresses with *something* on these ports, and if they tell you to forward it, chances are that means they have *something* on those ports, at which point if you get hoovered up, chances are you can expect "further investigation" by something smarter than a bot in the future. it's not a guarantee for malicious attacks, but it's certainly not a safe thing to do.

essentially, it's like having unsafe sexual intercourse with random people in the park, i'm not saying you will get an STD from it, but you'd be naive to think there's not a notable chance that you will eventually pick something up.

I created an example for my initial question. I installed utorrent in a VM and gave it the same port as the client in host. Then I created a rule in router with different name but the same port with the host's utorrent client and a rule in windows firewall of VM. So the configuration for both utorrent clients was exactly the same. The I started to download the same torrents on both clients. At first the host's client network was yellow but it started downloading. The VM's client was green from the beginning so I changed the VM's client port to something random and host's client network became green. Then I changed it back so as to have the same port again and the network stayed green for both of them.

That I understand is that 2 programs on 2 different IPs can use the same port.

In the photo below the left window is my original utorrent client and the right is the VM's client. The only thing I can't understand is that the maximum speed while downloading is 1.5-1.6MB/s and in the photo the total speed is 1.1MB/s + 1.3MB/s= 2.4MB/s(impossible for my connection).

My mistake. I had UPNP enabled in router settings and in both clients that's why their network was green.

Screen Shot 02-12-17 at 11.47 PM (Medium).PNG

My mistake. I had UPNP enabled in router settings and in both clients that's why their network was green.

Port forwarding should only ever need to be used if you're hosting a server. If a game dev makes it so you have to manually forward ports on your end to play on their servers, they and the game need to be taken out back and buried in concrete, never to be seen again.

Port forwarding is to tell connections coming into your network where to go The router is building a table and sending it out on different ports. For example, I have a web server hosted behind my network, then I need to tell people you can get to my server at x.x.x.x port something. Otherwise the router gets it and says "Yup, that's a packet for port something, now what?" and just tosses it out. Another example is I have two web servers behind my public IP address. If I port forward to both machines on port 80, the router is either going to guess as to who it should be sent to, or toss out the packet.

For outbound connections the router would use PAT in almost all residential cases where you have an internal address 192.168.x.x going to an outside address, say 1.1.1.1, your router will strip the internal IP, slap it's external IP on it, and then say it came from a random port, usually 30,000+. When the server at the other end gets it and sends a reply back it says the packet is destined for whatever port the router sent it out on.  The router then says "Oh I remember that, let me send it to the proper client". This is how two internal hosts can use the same port, because the router says "I sent the connection going out from 192.168.1.2 port 12345 using port 34567 to x.x.x.x and I sent the other connection from 192.168.1.3 port 12345 using port 34568, when I get a reply back I'll still know who to send it to"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: