TWC Modems & a Home Server [ANSWERED]

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

You need a supported modem on their list or it won't work, that doesn't mean though that you cannot throw a router and whatnot behind it. You just need a dumb modem basically from their supported list like the Arris SB6141 and not a modem/router combo.

Unsupported modems will not work because the firmware and configurations get pushed from the ISP, in this case TWC, to the modem. If they don't have the firmware and configuration for a router then you won't get anything and it won't come online.

Hello!

I am looking into piecing together my first rack server for personal uses.

I want to use a Cisco router and switch for the dual purposes of managing my servers and future servers, as well as the educational experience with Cisco's IOS.

Here's the question.

Timewarner (I hate them but they're the only thing I can use at my current location) has a list of supported modems.

Does "supported" mean "we'll help you if there's a problem", in which case if I go ahead and get my own unsupported Cisco setup and everything, it'll still work but they won't help me with difficulties? OR does it mean that it will not work at all, I won't have internet access, and I need to get a modem that is on their supported list? In this case, why don't unsupported modems work?

Thanks in advance!

-LtStaffel

Note ::: I have googled this but their FAQs and forums haven't helped, so I'm sorry if I'm too noob at Googling and missed the answer somewhere.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

You need a supported modem on their list or it won't work, that doesn't mean though that you cannot throw a router and whatnot behind it. You just need a dumb modem basically from their supported list like the Arris SB6141 and not a modem/router combo.

Unsupported modems will not work because the firmware and configurations get pushed from the ISP, in this case TWC, to the modem. If they don't have the firmware and configuration for a router then you won't get anything and it won't come online.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

36 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

Hello!

I am looking into piecing together my first rack server for personal uses.

I want to use a Cisco router and switch for the dual purposes of managing my servers and future servers, as well as the educational experience with Cisco's IOS.

Here's the question.

Timewarner (I hate them but they're the only thing I can use at my current location) has a list of supported modems.

Does "supported" mean "we'll help you if there's a problem", in which case if I go ahead and get my own unsupported Cisco setup and everything, it'll still work but they won't help me with difficulties? OR does it mean that it will not work at all, I won't have internet access, and I need to get a modem that is on their supported list? In this case, why don't unsupported modems work?

Thanks in advance!

-LtStaffel

Note ::: I have googled this but their FAQs and forums haven't helped, so I'm sorry if I'm too noob at Googling and missed the answer somewhere.

Supported means that it WILL WORK with the network. Generally if you OWN the modem they provide little assistance as possible. My experience is with Comcast on these matters. I think the reason they have supported modems has to deal with the equipment they have on the poles and in their central offices. Plus generally these modems have gone thru some type a validation that they will work.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Thanks for the info.

Where can I learn more about how ISPs interact with the modem? I'm trying to learn networking.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

10 hours ago, LtStaffel said:

Thanks for the info.

Where can I learn more about how ISPs interact with the modem? I'm trying to learn networking.

Search for CBT Nuggets on YouTube, they should have something. I mainly deal with data center and security technologies so I can't give you much information in that regard :(

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 hours ago, LtStaffel said:

Thanks for the info.

Look up TR-069.