4790k At 800mhz 60*C CPU or MoBo issue?

Podo

Hello builders,

I have a problem, my PC just started having this problem as of 1hr ago.

I booted the computer, logged in, stepped away to heat up my food, came back and all the fans were running at 100% and the computer was frozen.

I power cycled, windows failed to boot, restarted, fail, restart, fail, power cycle fail.  Each time with a blue Windows error screen.  And I never was able to make it to the Bios (even when attacking the DEL button).

Turned the PC off, power cycled, cleared the Cmos, made it to the bios, it had reverted to stock speeds (and Voltages) but the Temps were starting to climb they made it 88*C in the BIOS.

IMG_0589[1].PNG

Power Cycled again and was able to boot windows.

Once into windows I checked my BOIS was current.  It is.

Loaded MSI Command Center, and it showed Temps in the 80s.

Then the CPU is throttled to 800mhz jumping to 1900mhz then back down, and "stable" at 60*C.

IMG_0590[1].PNG

Is this a CPU or a Motherboard issue?  Power delivery? Please let me know where else to look.  I am at a loss and don't have a different MoBo CPU to test.

This post is being made by the troubled computer and will continue testing things and hoping it rights itself or I fix it.

Emerald Shade: i7-4790k -  2x360rad Custom Water Cooled Loop  - MSI Krait SLI - Corsair Vengence Pro 2x8gb 2400 - OCZ RD400 512Gb - Samsung Evo 850 250Gb - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3Tb HDD - EVGA 1080 GTX FTW DT - InWin 303 - EVGA G2 850 - Win 10

What cooler are you using?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What kind of CPU cooler are you using? Could be a cooler in need of new thermal paste, a cleaning and/or a remount.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Dual 360 Radiators on the single CPU.  But a Fresh Thermal Paste application might help.  I will try it!

I just hope I don't have to drain the system because of how tight my tubes run.3b (17).JPG

Emerald Shade: i7-4790k -  2x360rad Custom Water Cooled Loop  - MSI Krait SLI - Corsair Vengence Pro 2x8gb 2400 - OCZ RD400 512Gb - Samsung Evo 850 250Gb - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3Tb HDD - EVGA 1080 GTX FTW DT - InWin 303 - EVGA G2 850 - Win 10

7 hours ago, Podo said:

Dual 360 Radiators on the single CPU.  But a Fresh Thermal Paste application might help.  I will try it!

I just hope I don't have to drain the system because of how tight my tubes run.

It might be that your pump is broken. if the liquid doesn't flow, it doesn't take that much time to let the CPU to start thermal throttling. AFter you've changed the thermal paste or even better, before that, try to listen if you hear if the pump is indeed working or not.

CPU: i5 6600k @4.5GHz | GPU Zotac Amp! 1070 | RAM: Corsair vengeance 16gb | Storage: Corsair Force LE 240gb +480gb | Case: Corsair Carbide Clear C400 | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Cooler: H110i GTX

On 2/10/2017 at 4:28 AM, Constant Failure said:

It might be that your pump is broken. if the liquid doesn't flow, it doesn't take that much time to let the CPU to start thermal throttling. AFter you've changed the thermal paste or even better, before that, try to listen if you hear if the pump is indeed working or not.

It was indeed the Pump which died.  I tried it with multiople fan headers and the provided Direct Sata power cable.  I am contacting EKWB support.  I purchased the pump in one of their L360 kit in OCT 2016.  EK-XRES 100 DDC MX 3.1 PWM is the model number, Hope to hear from them sometime next week.