Gigabyte Aero 14, MSI GS63VR, or New Razer Blade

bencwp

Considering the 3 laptops in title (all with the GTX1060), or maybe any other suggestions?

For university work + gaming at home!

Thank you in advance for anyone's input :D

Total budget and country of purchase:

~SGD 2500-3000; Singapore

Looking for:

Good battery life (~5 hours) 

Durable material quality 

Lightweight (max ~2.2kg) 

Preferably future-proof specs 

Best to have a good number of ports

Additional thoughts:

1. I don't plan to game when I'm out, so fan noise during gaming is okay;

2. Battery life requirements are for work stuff i.e. it's okay if battery life during gaming isn't good

Edited by bencwp
Edited to make requirements more concise

How about this (ebay) one? its  2.73kg, got GeForce GTX 1060 - 6 GB, 500gb ssd with 1 tb HDD and 16gb ram, Battery: 76 Wh 4-cells litiumpoly. 1800kr is about 2867.20 singapore dollar.

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

http://www.xoticpc.com/aorus-x3-plus-v7-kl3k4.html Really high quality build, its small and if need be it can go super OC mode and become a super loud fan (adjustable) to suit your overclocking needs battery life is 3.5-5 hours but the brick is fairly average sized. BTW if you want something a little weaker and better B life wait a little for the xps 15 (9560)

8 hours ago, Avve1000 said:

How about this (ebay) one? its  2.73kg, got GeForce GTX 1060 - 6 GB, 500gb ssd with 1 tb HDD and 16gb ram, Battery: 76 Wh 4-cells litiumpoly. 1800kr is about 2867.20 singapore dollar.

The specs for this are really good (esp. with the storage space and the battery life is definitely above average! I came across this previously but took it out of my list because it was too heavy! Personally the maximum weight I'd go for would be ~2.2kg (but I don't need to bring my charger); if it was lighter, then I'd be fine with bringing the charger. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

8 hours ago, K352 said:

http://www.xoticpc.com/aorus-x3-plus-v7-kl3k4.html Really high quality build, its small and if need be it can go super OC mode and become a super loud fan (adjustable) to suit your overclocking needs battery life is 3.5-5 hours but the brick is fairly average sized. BTW if you want something a little weaker and better B life wait a little for the xps 15 (9560)

Oh wow I never came across this; from what I've read though, the Aorus is Gigabyte's more premium class of laptops, right? The specs on the website do seem great - with a QHD screen + pretty decent battery life. However, I can't really tell the main difference between the X3 and the Aero 14, besides the X3's better screen and different processor. Does the Aorus class make its build quality much better? 

As for the XPS15, I considered it as well (the screen looks really awesome) but it only came with a GTX1050... 

6 hours ago, bencwp said:

The specs for this are really good (esp. with the storage space and the battery life is definitely above average! I came across this previously but took it out of my list because it was too heavy! Personally the maximum weight I'd go for would be ~2.2kg (but I don't need to bring my charger); if it was lighter, then I'd be fine with bringing the charger. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Oh wow I never came across this; from what I've read though, the Aorus is Gigabyte's more premium class of laptops, right? The specs on the website do seem great - with a QHD screen + pretty decent battery life. However, I can't really tell the main difference between the X3 and the Aero 14, besides the X3's better screen and different processor. Does the Aorus class make its build quality much better? 

As for the XPS15, I considered it as well (the screen looks really awesome) but it only came with a GTX1050... 

how about this one then? 1070 tho about 2,831.64 sgd

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

3 hours ago, Avve1000 said:

how about this one then? 1070 tho about 2,831.64 sgd

Oh this looks good - even comes with a 1070 card :o 
Thanks; I'll add this to the laptops I'm considering!! 

Any comments about the 3 laptops in my initial list though?
(Gigabyte Aero 14, MSI GS63VR, or New Razer Blade) 

18 hours ago, K352 said:

How are they able to have a HK i7 processor in that small form factor. Even the HQ processors throttle in most slim laptops. Shame that you can't buy aorus or even a normal gigabyte laptop here in Finland/Sweden...

26 minutes ago, bencwp said:

The MSI GS63VR won't suit you as it's battery is crap (around 3h). It's a shame that they don't have an option without the HDD and bigger battery. Same goes with the Asus one.

The Razer Blade is very portable and look very good. The problem is that its not well made if you look under the hood. It could be a very good machine if you are lucky, except the load fans both during load and idle. The quality control and support is bad. Prepare to pay alot of money if something brakes after one year of use.

Gigabyte Aero 14 seems to be very good. I haven't found any common complaints about it yet. It will probably be the best buy from these options.

45 minutes ago, bencwp said:

i didnt comment them because i think you could come across better, the first one i showed you was better than those so they are good but no amazingly good. 

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

1 hour ago, Lillchillers said:

The MSI GS63VR won't suit you as it's battery is crap (around 3h). It's a shame that they don't have an option without the HDD and bigger battery. Same goes with the Asus one.

The Razer Blade is very portable and look very good. The problem is that its not well made if you look under the hood. It could be a very good machine if you are lucky, except the load fans both during load and idle. The quality control and support is bad. Prepare to pay alot of money if something brakes after one year of use.

Gigabyte Aero 14 seems to be very good. I haven't found any common complaints about it yet. It will probably be the best buy from these options.

I see... Yeah I read about the Blades having some heating problems? 

Meanwhile the Aero 14 (all 3 of those laptops actually) has the specs I'm looking for, but my main concern with the Aero 14 is its build quality. The Blade's form factor and material definitely beats the Aero but it has heating problems as mentioned. 

As for MSI GS63VR heating isn't a problem with its 3 fans, but yeah its battery leaves much to be desired! 

1 hour ago, Avve1000 said:

i didnt comment them because i think you could come across better, the first one i showed you was better than those so they are good but no amazingly good. 

Ah, I see. Well if you really had to choose between these: Gigabyte Aero 14, MSI GS63VR, or New Razer Blade, which would you pick? Just as a reference point for me.

23 minutes ago, bencwp said:

Ah, I see. Well if you really had to choose between these: Gigabyte Aero 14, MSI GS63VR, or New Razer Blade, which would you pick? Just as a reference point for me.

GS63VR. Look up Razer mosfets failing. An extremely high number of Razer Blades fail after 1 year. Aero 14 is fine. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Specializing-in-Razer-laptops-enthusiast-repairman-aims-to-fix-what-Razer-can-t.195612.0.html

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

2 hours ago, bencwp said:

I see... Yeah I read about the Blades having some heating problems? 

Meanwhile the Aero 14 (all 3 of those laptops actually) has the specs I'm looking for, but my main concern with the Aero 14 is its build quality. The Blade's form factor and material definitely beats the Aero but it has heating problems as mentioned. 

As for MSI GS63VR heating isn't a problem with its 3 fans, but yeah its battery leaves much to be desired! 

Well you are using the term build quality quite wrong. Build quality doesn't meen aluminium and slim body.

Build quality is how well they planned their build and which quality of material they have used in the machine. A good build quality should mean that the laptop will have a long life without any hardware failures.

Apple have tricked the consumer that the more aluminium, glass, lighter, slimmer and more unibody the laptop is the better build quality. When its more about aesthetics. It does't matter tho because noone buys a apple laptop to game where you load both the GPU and CPU. The razer blade however it will matter because it's adverticed as a gaming laptop. They chose aesthetics over BUILD QUALITY which will mean that putting it through frequent gaming load will risk hardware failures.

The aero 14 is a mix of good build quality in a slim formfactor, but yes its aesthetics won't win any awards.

Hope this Helped!

2 hours ago, bencwp said:

Well if i had to chose my choice would be MSI GS63VR.

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

13 hours ago, bencwp said:

Aorus has 10/10 build quality, I am using an x5 v6 to type this which I should also recommend (Note: If you can stretch your money a lil 250sgd the x5 is a legend http://www.gentechpc.com/Aorus-X5-V6-nVidia-GTX-1070-p/aorus-x5-v6-pc3k3d.htm)I own it and it has 4hr of battery (you can do something to turn disable the gpu on laptops which literally doubles-triples their battery life so you can just activate it when gaming and de activate when working.Though the thing is the power brick is a little beefy, but you can ignore that. The XPS15's 1050 is no joke because its one of the more portable gpus and can easily run moderate things like OverWatch on Ultra at 1080p 60fps (you will sacrifice power for alot of battery life.)

33 minutes ago, K352 said:

Aorus has 10/10 build quality

arrhh if you call that a 10/10, what would a Elitebook, ThinkPad, latitude and toughbook be? 15/10?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

47 minutes ago, K352 said:

you can do something to turn disable the gpu on laptops which literally doubles-triples their battery life so you can just activate it when gaming and de activate when working

No you can't. Only 2 brands of laptops I know have a MUX switch this generation. the rare AW and Clevos P series. Otherwise it's Optimus like on 7559 or dGPU only like every laptop with a GSync screen.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

13 hours ago, Lillchillers said:

Well you are using the term build quality quite wrong. Build quality doesn't meen aluminium and slim body.

Build quality is how well they planned their build and which quality of material they have used in the machine. A good build quality should mean that the laptop will have a long life without any hardware failures.

Apple have tricked the consumer that the more aluminium, glass, lighter, slimmer and more unibody the laptop is the better build quality. When its more about aesthetics. It does't matter tho because noone buys a apple laptop to game where you load both the GPU and CPU. The razer blade however it will matter because it's adverticed as a gaming laptop. They chose aesthetics over BUILD QUALITY which will mean that putting it through frequent gaming load will risk hardware failures.

The aero 14 is a mix of good build quality in a slim formfactor, but yes its aesthetics won't win any awards.

Hope this Helped!

Hmm okay yeah I guess I had the wrong impression of 'build quality'! I agree about Apple, haha.

And yep the Aero 14 definitely isn't aesthetically the best but what matters is what's on the inside, right?  

15 hours ago, Pendragon said:

GS63VR. Look up Razer mosfets failing. An extremely high number of Razer Blades fail after 1 year. Aero 14 is fine. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Specializing-in-Razer-laptops-enthusiast-repairman-aims-to-fix-what-Razer-can-t.195612.0.html

13 hours ago, Avve1000 said:

Well if i had to chose my choice would be MSI GS63VR.

Hmm seems that the MSI63VR leads! Do you guys have any thoughts on the build quality of the GS63 though? 

12 hours ago, Dackzy said:

arrhh if you call that a 10/10, what would a Elitebook, ThinkPad, latitude and toughbook be? 15/10?

In this case, how would Aorus do in terms of build quality?? 

Curious because I might consider the Aorus as well, the Aero 14, and of course the GS63VR. 
Blade is definitely out I suppose!!

My pick goes to the GS63VR over the Aero 14. But also consider a P650RP6 or P650RS from Obsidian-PC. They ship to all around Europe, so they should be good for you https://www.obsidian-pc.com/

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

• 3 months later...

hey @bencwp, so which laptop did you ended up getting? I'm in the same situation as you and also a Singaporean :) thx