Cooling with stock thermal paste from cm or SIlver 5?

Carter Bourne
Go to solution Solved by Carter Bourne,
1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

I mean those temperatures are well within safe operating range, so it's just fine for you to run if we can't figure this out. I would just make sure you're tightening down the cooler firmly (but be careful), and go back to the dot method, I find all the other ones to have no visible benefit over it and it takes the least effort.

Ok Thanks I am going to take off the cooler and remove the stock paste and add the silver 5 back 

I have replace my thermal paste 3 times now checking temps and each time, the temperatures are around 54 degrees Celsius no matter what and before this, the thermal paste would stay around 30-40 degrees celsius. What am I doing wrong? I am using a 7700k amd 3.4 ghz quad cpu with a 212 evo cooler. Am I not applying paste properly or is it just the how my pc runs?

first, is your name actually bourne, that is so cool. as in jason bourne the franchise

second, what TIM application method are you using and or type of TIM.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

you could always try delidding the cpu. I saw a video where they got a 15-20C drop. but that is a very drastic measure.

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

one other thing, the 212 have a kind of low 180 tdp. and the 7700k has a tdp of 91. not much cooling room.

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

first, is your name actually bourne, that is so cool. as in jason bourne the franchise

second, what TIM application method are you using and or type of TIM.

Yes my last name is bourne xD everyone always asks his i know jason bourne. Ironically i always wanted to change my name to jason before I learned of the franchise and I used the dot method first,  then the credit card method the next few times. I  changed from the silver 5 to the stock cooler master tp and thats in my rig rn

After testing csgo the temps dont rise above 66 but, they do stay at 66 all the time which isn't right

how are all your fan set up?

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

you could always try delidding the cpu. I saw a video where they got a 15-20C drop. but that is a very drastic measure.

yea that isnt exactly convenient lol

quote the person you talk to so that they get a notification.

1 minute ago, Carter Bourne said:

yea that isnt exactly convenient lol

if it's idling at 60*C check your voltage and make sure SpeedStep is enabled. it should be throttling down to minimums with very low voltage (less than 1 volt)

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

front 2 intake push pull for cpu and 2 up  top exauust and one rear

WIN_20170208_10_32_29_Pro.jpg

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

quote the person you talk to so that they get a notification.

if it's idling at 60*C check your voltage and make sure SpeedStep is enabled. it should be throttling down to minimums with very low voltage (less than 1 volt)

Its AMD lol 2013 7700k not kaby thats one issue I have with it is everyone thinks it's Kaby-lake but it is Kaveri

1 minute ago, Carter Bourne said:

Its AMD lol 2013 7700k not kaby thats one issue I have with it is everyone thinks it's Kaby-lake but it is Kaveri

damn naming schemes!

well then i'll have to punch out of here. i know next to nothing about AMDs. Good Luck!

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I mean those temperatures are well within safe operating range, so it's just fine for you to run if we can't figure this out. I would just make sure you're tightening down the cooler firmly (but be careful), and go back to the dot method, I find all the other ones to have no visible benefit over it and it takes the least effort.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Ok Thanks I am going to take off the cooler and remove the stock paste and add the silver 5 back