Thoughts on HP Pavilion Power Laptop

Hey everyone, so I found this HP laptop for $675 and I was wondering if it's a good laptop, I need it for school, video editing and light gaming. Thank you for your comments.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/PDPStdView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&productId=1581652&storeId=10151

HP Pavilion Power Laptop

• Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ (2.5 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 6 MB cache)
  • 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
  • 1TB 7200 rpm SATA
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • 15.6" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)

2 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Hey everyone, so I found this HP laptop for $675 and I was wondering if it's a good laptop, I need it for school, video editing and light gaming. Thank you for your comments.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/PDPStdView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&productId=1581652&storeId=10151

HP Pavilion Power Laptop

• Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ (2.5 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 6 MB cache)
  • 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
  • 1TB 7200 rpm SATA
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
  • 15.6" diagonal FHD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)

Yeah I mean it's not bad, should game with that 1050 ti, not exactly sure on the video editing part. But yeah I would say it's solid for $675.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Yeah I mean it's not bad, should game with that 1050 ti, not exactly sure on the video editing part. But yeah I would say it's solid for $675.

Well video editing on it would be minor, since I have my main PC at home. This would be only for those moments I really need to edit on the go. Like once or twice a year.

solid for the money. cooling on hp consumer laptops is not amazing, but it's good.

stock 1050 gets bottlenecked by 2gb vram, whereas 1050Ti shines with 4gb. this has 4gb and it's a stock 1050? 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

solid for the money. cooling on hp consumer laptops is not amazing, but it's good.

stock 1050 gets bottlenecked by 2gb vram, whereas 1050Ti shines with 4gb. this has 4gb and it's a stock 1050? 

Maybe he just called it a 1050. Probably a 1050ti.

The geek himself.

Maybe he just called it a 1050. Probably a 1050ti.

site says 1050 2gb vram

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

site says 1050 2gb vram

probs got it wrong then

The geek himself.

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

site says 1050 2gb vram

3 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

probs got it wrong then

When you go to customize, there's the option for 1050 4GB but it's not Ti. I don't know if they make a 4GB version.

Edit: Here you go. 

Screenshot_20170207-231045.png

1 minute ago, Miguel552 said:

When you go to customize, there's the option for 1050 4GB but it's not Ti. I don't know if they make a 4GB version.

It must be ti then because I haven't heard a 1050 4gb base version before.

The geek himself.

14 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

12 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I'm doing video editing on a Alienware 13 with a i7 5500U dual core with hyperthreading and 16gb of RAM with a GTX 860m 2gb and it handles 1080p fine from my DSLR with the preview quality turned down a tiny bit in Adobe premier but it works and gets the job done you should be fine with that laptop as I believe my low powered 5th gen Broadwell i7 is a bit slower then a current gen Kabylake i5

And heres the comprison of my laptop's 5th gen low powered Broadwell i7 vs the Kabylake i5 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2922&cmp[]=2470 and the i5 beats out my low powered mobile i7

3 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

And heres the comprison of my laptop's 5th gen low powered Broadwell i7 vs the Kabylake i5 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2922&cmp[]=2470

That gives me hopes, thank you for your info. Now I'm just wondering about build quality and heat dissipation. Can't find any reviews online

26 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

It must be ti then because I haven't heard a 1050 4gb base version before.

So I was checking the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming, and they list it as GTX 1050 4GB also. Maybe Nvidia released a 4GB version?

1 minute ago, Miguel552 said:

So I was checking the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming, and they list it as GTX 1050 4GB also. Maybe Nvidia released a 4GB version?

No one is aware of it, It is a 1050ti for sure.

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

They should specify that,  they always make it so confusing with laptops, like how they released a v2 on the 950m with 4GB, so some have 2 and some 4.

15 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

nonono, there is a 4gb 1050 non ti for laptops

look it up

idk

8 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

nonono, there is a 4gb 1050 non ti for laptops

look it up

You're right,  both the 1050 and 1050ti have 2GB and 4GB variants. 

I would advise not to buy the Inspiron 7567. The FHD screen is poor quality in a very noticeable way. I wrote a post here about it.

9 hours ago, edit1754 said:

I would advise not to buy the Inspiron 7567. The FHD screen is poor quality in a very noticeable way. I wrote a post here about it.

Thank you for the info, I'm still deciding, I've heard bad things about HP so I don't know if I should buy it, I'm also looking into the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming, do you know about that one?

Edit: I first answered this when I had just woken up so it makes me look like I'm dumb haha, now that I've had time to read well and check your other post I want to say something else. You already said on that post that the HP Pavilion is a good option, but have you dealt with it before? I'm afraid of the heat dissipation and the build quality. But I really want to pull the trigger before the VIPFEB25NB code expires, because it lowers the one I want down to $675, but I don't want to regret it if it gets too hot or feels all plastic.

2 hours ago, Miguel552 said:

Thank you for the info, I'm still deciding, I've heard bad things about HP so I don't know if I should buy it, I'm also looking into the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming, do you know about that one?

Edit: I first answered this when I had just woken up so it makes me look like I'm dumb haha, now that I've had time to read well and check your other post I want to say something else. You already said on that post that the HP Pavilion is a good option, but have you dealt with it before? I'm afraid of the heat dissipation and the build quality. But I really want to pull the trigger before the VIPFEB25NB code expires, because it lowers the one I want down to $675, but I don't want to regret it if it gets too hot or feels all plastic.

I don't know for certain, to be honest. You could go into a retail store and try to find similar-looking Pavilion models to see if the chassis is to your liking. I believe you can also return it if you don't like it, but that may or may not be worth the hassle.

2 hours ago, edit1754 said:

I don't know for certain, to be honest. You could go into a retail store and try to find similar-looking Pavilion models to see if the chassis is to your liking. I believe you can also return it if you don't like it, but that may or may not be worth the hassle.

I used to have a Pavilion up until 2 years ago and I used to like it but I keep hearing bad things about HP.