Ubuntu server SSH access denied

Joveice
Go to solution Solved by Joveice,
6 hours ago, KuJoe said:

If it's a firewall issue (iptables) then changing the port won't help. Can you run this command and post the output?

netstat -tulp | grep ssh

Did not need to :) Solved the issue by changing port.

Hi, I'm having issues connecting to my server with SSH, I know the password is right becouse it works from the computer itself. tho it throws access denied after I enter a password.

What is this and how do I fix this?

I use PuTTY to connect.

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Are you trying to login as root? You normally can't ssh as root.

No I'm trying to connect as the user I setup when I installed (this works on my second server)

9 minutes ago, Joveice said:

No I'm trying to connect as the user I setup when I installed (this works on my second server)

did you allow the user in the ssh config?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

did you allow the user in the ssh config?

Dident do this before, and if it's the /etc/ssh/ssh_config and by doing AllowUsers "username" then yes I did that and I restarted ssh after that.

1 minute ago, Joveice said:

Dident do this before, and if it's the /etc/ssh/ssh_config and by doing AllowUsers "username" then yes I did that and I restarted ssh after that.

does ssh work with other users?h

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

does ssh work with other users?h

Don't have any other users, just installed the server.

Do you have console access? Does the VPS provider have any options to log in via console (RamNode provides such feature, for example)?
Have you set up SSH keys maybe, that you could use to log in without password?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

Do you have console access? Does the VPS provider have any options to log in via console (RamNode provides such feature, for example)?
Have you set up SSH keys maybe, that you could use to log in without password?

It's a physics server, so I got physics access.

Enabled cleartext logins?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

You must enable cleartext password logins. These are disabled by default in Ubuntu (except for root, because by default root has a disabled login and can only be accessed via sudo elevation)

If you are running the desktop version of Ubuntu you must first install `openssh-server`.

Edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config

scroll down to the line `#PasswordAuthentication yes` and remove the # symbol. Save the file and restart the `ssh` service by typing `sudo service ssh restart`

You should be good to go.

However, a better approach is to create a public-private keypair which can be used for authentication. That's the preferred way to perform remote logins as multiple individuals can be granted access to a single user account without revealing their private keys

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2156756/ssh-ubuntu-access-denied.html

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Enabled cleartext logins?

Well I typed my password in the username field to check if there was some keyboard layout things but no, the password was correct and physics access does work.

No one else that has an idea?

Seem to have found the issue, tryed to SSH into the server while it was installing updates (dident install openssh-server this time) and there the prompt was. so I guessed the default password logins for ikvm, and there I was in SMASH. how can I fix this? I want to ssh to my linux not to the server itself :P ? Motherboard is ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS

7 minutes ago, Joveice said:

Seem to have found the issue, tryed to SSH into the server while it was installing updates (dident install openssh-server this time) and there the prompt was. so I guessed the default password logins for ikvm, and there I was in SMASH. how can I fix this? I want to ssh to my linux not to the server itself :P ? Motherboard is ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS

This is a bit confusing, so you are able to login to the server over the KVM console but not SSH? Did you check to make sure there were no iptables rules blocking you ("iptables -F"). Can you check the logs to see what it's saying when you try to SSH into the server?

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

This is a bit confusing, so you are able to login to the server over the KVM console but not SSH? Did you check to make sure there were no iptables rules blocking you ("iptables -F"). Can you check the logs to see what it's saying when you try to SSH into the server?

The logs for the ssh are emtpy, and I havent checked iptables, but I'm gonna try change the port to something else, then try that and see if that works.

Edit: Forgot to answer the first question, Well I don't know what SSH I got into, just that the default password I used to connect to the ikvm and view the screen worked on the ssh connection, then it gave me a "sql" looking terminal that said SMASH or something like that.

1 minute ago, Joveice said:

The logs for the ssh are emtpy, and I havent checked iptables, but I'm gonna try change the port to something else, then try that and see if that works.

If it's a firewall issue (iptables) then changing the port won't help. Can you run this command and post the output?

netstat -tulp | grep ssh

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

netstat -tulp | grep ssh

Will do when I have access to it in about 5 hours :) Will post result.

6 hours ago, KuJoe said:

netstat -tulp | grep ssh

Did not need to :) Solved the issue by changing port.