PC Restarting over and over, Started to troubleshoot can you help?

Vincanti

First off this comp. was built by me 2 years ago and has been handed down to GF who has been using it for the past 3 months.

So I've been Troubleshooting this all night and thought i had it figured out but apparently i have not.

System at first was turned on by girlfriend and kept restarting. 

So i started piecing it out 

Took out Graphics, Still did

Took out ssd, still did

Took out all but one ram in one slot, Started! 

Okay we're getting somewhere, Check over all the ram, Turns out 2/4 sticks are at 1600mhz and 2/4 are at 1866mhz. 

Put two 1866mhz in main slots, Computer starts. Think well okay i obviously didnt check ram when i bought more and mixing frequencies was the problem.

Put everything back besides the other two ram, Start comp Works! then i shut down. GF then Starts it again (because she wasnt going to play games but now she is going to). Uh-oh Problem again.

This summarizes pretty much whats happened, I've tried installing the 1600MHz Ram and it'll boot the first time but when restarted will go back to restarting over and over.

So i need to know! What am i doing wrong if im doing something wrong, or whats Broken?

Parts

I5 4460

Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150  

2x 4g Hyperx Fury 1600mhz or 1866mhz

intel 250g ssd

Asus GTX960 Strix

Noctua NH-D9L CPU cooler

Corsair CX 450w

Windows 7, 8 or 10?

Sounds like a hybrid sleep issue or "fast boot" issue. It seems like it's storing some info in memory to "boot faster" but is caught up.

If I understand this right it only happens on 1600mhz RAM?

Hello

3 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

If I understand this right it only happens on 1600mhz RAM?

Happens with both.

2 minutes ago, Vincanti said:

Happens with both.

Maybe faulty mobo slots?

Hello

3 minutes ago, Petikeki said:

Maybe this will help

will check for pinched wires and things when i get home, i just thought i would throw my problem out on the web before work so i would have things to test when home.

Thanks for the help, i'll be back with results in 10 hours.

Also try disabling hibernation and fast boot. Once you do that you can open up CMD prompt and type:

"shutdown /f /s /t 0"

In order to do a full shutdown. Restart your computer after this, and restart once more to see if the issue still occurs.

10 hours ago, NinJake said:

Also try disabling hibernation and fast boot. Once you do that you can open up CMD prompt and type:

"shutdown /f /s /t 0"

In order to do a full shutdown. Restart your computer after this, and restart once more to see if the issue still occurs.

Okay so im back and I've tried some things, looked for pinched cables, nope only thing touching anything was a zip tie Clipped it short just in case. I should note i had the Pc running all day just fine without it having hibernated. BUUUUUT when i turned it off it goes into its loop of nothing, the only way to get the computer to actually boot to windows is literally pulling out the two sticks of ram and swapping their positions.

Jake I tried what you said Hibernation was already off and i turned off fastboot, then went through the CMD, first try at restart and still a no go.

So now whats the call? New Mobo? is the problem there? Or could it still be elsewhere? 

Edit: Also Win 10

17 hours ago, NinJake said:

I would backup any important data to an external drive, and do a fresh, clean install of windows 10. @Vincanti

By the gods i have no idea why this worked but after a long time of just saying theres nothing else left to try and doing it, its working, i can shutdown and turn it back on without removing ram!

Going to mark you as solved!

Edit: Aaaand..... Just like that my joy is short lived because it is again not working...

Im going to just kind of write it up as some kind of mobo malfunction something obviously is going wrong but when it runs it does run so idk..

Sorry to hear this issue is plaguing your computer! I guess I would just turn it on once and keep it on for a month or so at a time :)

Well, at least throw it in sleep mode when you aren't using it lol. @Vincanti

Have you used memtest to test the memory while the system is working?

Pop into the BIOS, reset all to defaults, do this with the 1600mhz ram in, and the 1866mhz ram, then restart, when in Windows, run a recovery keeping all files and setup using updated drivers for the motherboard and chipset.

I'm leaning to think it's an issue within the bios, possibly XMP related, and on the whole a total reset to defaults and fresh start would be best.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

3 hours ago, Kierax said:

Pop into the BIOS, reset all to defaults, do this with the 1600mhz ram in, and the 1866mhz ram, then restart, when in Windows, run a recovery keeping all files and setup using updated drivers for the motherboard and chipset.

I'm leaning to think it's an issue within the bios, possibly XMP related, and on the whole a total reset to defaults and fresh start would be best.

3 hours ago, NinJake said:

Also reset CMOS if you haven't yet.

Alright guys, still not giving in, Reset CMOS, Installed new Drivers, Ran recovery, even updated bios (which apparently had some type of memory fix). Even with this a fresh install and 3 days and nights (when im off work) dedicated to trying to fix this the problem still persist. The only thing thats kept this pc restarting is the removal and replacement of ram.

I want to thank you guys for trying to help me out, but as it is tax season throwing a tiny bit of money at the pc in my experience fixes all problems.

I cant stress enough how helpful you guys have been, thank you.