Can windows tablet replace laptop for programming?

Xyloto

Hi. So this year i am entering programming class in collage. I do have powefull computer that i usually use for gaming, but i still have to bring computer to the class.

So my i dea is, i will buy a cheap $300ish chinese windows tablet and when i am at home i can just transfer the project to my computer and do my project there. 

What do you guys think about my idea? Thanks

Why a Chinese windows/android  tablet?why not something like a hp stream or other low end laptop for a decent keyboard etc. (I understand that you'll do your projects at home)

no not good replacement for a keyboard. The autocorrect is a pain too. iv had to do it in emergencies for web pages and its not good. if price is the problem get a $300 chrome book not a chinese tablet

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 hour ago, Batmanhasacold said:

Why a Chinese windows/android  tablet?why not something like a hp stream or other low end laptop for a decent keyboard etc. (I understand that you'll do your projects at home)

Well, based on my observation, cheap laptop usually are heavy, made of plastic and horrible battery life. Tablets usually are made of metal and decent battery ( low power soc ) cmiw tho

1 hour ago, SCHISCHKA said:

no not good replacement for a keyboard. The autocorrect is a pain too. iv had to do it in emergencies for web pages and its not good. if price is the problem get a $300 chrome book not a chinese tablet

How's chromebook support for programming tho? I heard chromebook dont support several programs

10 hours ago, Xyloto said:

How's chromebook support for programming tho? I heard chromebook dont support several programs

get an intel based chrome book and put linux on it. Thats if you cannot afford a proper laptop. Your chinese tablet idea is not going to be able to run an IDE or compiler

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

The only thing you need to program is a text editor and a keyboard. A software keyboard will work but I recommend a hardware keyboard. I've written bug fixes from my phone before with a bluetooth keyboard and it wasn't the worst experience ever.

My advice is if you already have a good PC at home, get the cheapest netbook you can find (around $200 for a good one) and setup RDP on your PC, do all of your coding over the RDP session. This is what I do now and it's great. I have a VM running 24x7 and can do all of my coding on it from any device or location. One nice thing about it is that Microsoft even has a free RDP app for Android so you can connect from your phone if you wanted to (I do this all of the time for server management, just hook up a keyboard to your phone and you're good to go).

When I moved back to Florida the summers made my office an oven when my PC was running so during the day I RDP to my VM in another location from a Raspberry Pi and do all of my software development like that without an issue.

You don't need a powerful CPU or a lot of RAM to write code, the main thing is you need to be comfortable so screen size, keyboard/mouse, and other factors are much more important. That's why I like having a cheap 10-12" netbook with a USB mouse and keyboard available.

-KuJoe