Home Network Basic Concept

Artorias

Hey, guys! I'm pretty new to networking so please be easy on me. This is my very first time on setting up a network since my router/modem is getting choke by too many devices connected to it via WiFi. So, my solution is to set up at least 2 AP (sitting next to each other on separate channels as seen on my "Awesome Paint Skillz Bruh" Diagram below). Will this network set-up work? (BTW, AP 1 will be on Ch. 1 and AP 2 will be on Ch. 6) 

Kappa.png

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

run a gig switch, just do it. Id also get a managed switch personally if you ever want to mess with network settings.

What AP? Id run unify aps so you can easily switch between them and there just overall good, and failry cheap too.

Some questions

1. How many devices are connecting?
  2. What equipment are you using?

If you are only using 2 APs, then use channel 1 and 11 to further limit interference. Use a wifi scanner to see how saturated the spectrum is around you.

Hey, guys! Sorry for the very late reply but here's my answer to your questions: (BTW, guys. Don't mind the link for the equipment. I don't know why their not working even thought I set them up correctly)

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

run a gig switch, just do it. Id also get a managed switch personally if you ever want to mess with network settings.

What AP? Id run unify aps so you can easily switch between them and there just overall good, and failry cheap too.

I'm a student and I'm currently pretty tight on budget (Budget is somewhere around Php 5,000 *around 101usd, I know living in a 3rd world country sucks donkey balls FeelsBadMan* from my part time job. Can you even believe that's already a month's worth salary here? LUL) so I really can't afford any expensive equipment. And, my shop option is only limited to one. I'm going to buy on this website http://www.lazada.com.ph/ (A sh*tty SEA ver. of Amazon). Anything that is not on that website is off on my list and I really can't buy from my local computer hardware store as they gouge their prices so high that you'll be amazed that they're still allowed to operate. The AP's that I'll be using is this TP-Link TL-WA801ND. As for the switch I can squeeze out a little bit more and change that 10/100Mbps switch to this one TP-Link TL-SG1005D.

10 hours ago, ErgoPandemonium said:

Some questions

1. How many devices are connecting?
  2. What equipment are you using?

If you are only using 2 APs, then use channel 1 and 11 to further limit interference. Use a wifi scanner to see how saturated the spectrum is around you.

Connected devices is somewhere around 4-12 devices at a time via WiFi (8 of those are facebook/mobile games only devices). The Router/Modem was provided by my ISP. The 2 AP's will be both TP-Link TL-WA801ND and I'll be changing that 10/100Mbps to this Gigabit switch TP-Link TL-SG1005D. Already checked the spectrum and found out that no one else is using the 2.4GHz frequency. An advantage in living on a 3rd world I guess, FeelsBadMan.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Use what you have, just make sure the AP's don't have dhcp turned on.

1. Generally speaking each AP should be able to handle up to 15 clients, given someone is not trying to saturate the AP.
  2. The AP's will do about 6-10MBps and the switch will handle 10-11MBps. Remember this when your network feels slow
  3. Use channel 1 and 11 and preferably put the AP's a decent distance away from one another
  4. If you have an old pc to play with, then look into RouterOS, PFsence or IPFire and go read about QOS.
  5. Good luck

Why is everyone telling them to use specific channels for wireless? Either a wireless survey must be conducted first or they should leave it to auto adjust? For all you know they have a neighbour broadcasting on those same channels and they'll wonder why their WiFi coverage & speed is shit.