help me open some ports?

rhavimarques

I seem to have tried everything, but i just can't seem to get any ports open, checking with canyouseeme.org i can't get anything to work.

my current setup is a modem (that has wifi) connected to a router conntected to my PC.

so to my understanding, i have to the ports on both the modem AND the router.... or i could turn off firewall on the modem and open ports on the router, (right?)

on my router it looks easy enough, there's a applciations and gaming tab with port forward sub-tab, where i just type in start, end, protocol and IP adress (my pc's, right?) and hit enable. so far so good.

my modem though is trickier, 

it asks for external ports, local ports, and a local IP, but this local IP should be my router's IP, correct? how do i find out which is my router's IP?

but even when i connect directly to my modem, i still can't get anything to open :(

help :(

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

UPDATE: so i found out DMZ is kinda like turning off firewall for that one IP, and also figured out that on the status tab of my router i can see its local IP (192.168.0.15 in this case), and set the DMZ to that.... still nothing though.

update2: i even tried to set DMZ to my desktop, hoping it would open all ports, but still nothing... so i guess that's not how that works >_>

Edited by rhavimarques

I'm not 100% But I'm fairly sure you set the Local and External stuff as the same, due to the external not applying in this case. 

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

i did :( i'm testing with port 80, its open on both the modem and router, still no signal though.

now i set the modem as a bridge, router has the ports open, but still no signal... this is frustrating me to no end... i just want to play games with my friends u_u

5 minutes ago, rhavimarques said:

i did :( i'm testing with port 80, its open on both the modem and router, still no signal though.

now i set the modem as a bridge, router has the ports open, but still no signal... this is frustrating me to no end... i just want to play games with my friends u_u

would you be happy to let me teamviewer in?

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Phone up your ISP and get them to put your modem in bridge mode. This will turn it into a dumb modem without routing or wifi capabilities. Then either rely on your existing router, or buy a new one since the WRT54G2 is quite an older device. I'd recommend a Netgear R7000 for average sized homes (1600-2000 sqft) as it handles about 30 devices with ease, including around 10-15 wireless devices.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

16 hours ago, kirashi said:

Phone up your ISP and get them to put your modem in bridge mode. This will turn it into a dumb modem without routing or wifi capabilities. Then either rely on your existing router, or buy a new one since the WRT54G2 is quite an older device. I'd recommend a Netgear R7000 for average sized homes (1600-2000 sqft) as it handles about 30 devices with ease, including around 10-15 wireless devices.

to update: thank you, i didn't have to call them up, but i did find my way to the bridge option and set the modem to that... but it still has wi-fi capabilities, does that mean that wi-fi is unprotected?

thanks for the suggestion, but i mostly rely on the router for ethernet, and also, for some reason netgear doesn't sell in brazil :-\

3 hours ago, rhavimarques said:

to update: thank you, i didn't have to call them up, but i did find my way to the bridge option and set the modem to that... but it still has wi-fi capabilities, does that mean that wi-fi is unprotected?

thanks for the suggestion, but i mostly rely on the router for ethernet, and also, for some reason netgear doesn't sell in brazil :-\

No problem, glad you could change it yourself. You should also be able to disable the Wireless functionality of the modem somewhere in the web control panel.

And you don't have to get the Netgear R7000 if you can't find it where you are - any device listed on the https://advancedtomato.com/downloads page will work fine, even if you don't replace the stock firmware with AdvancedTomato. Just be sure the router isn't on the cheaper end of things, as most routers below $80 USD are garbage, and the sweet spot for a decent router is around $120 USD right now, but can go up to $200 USD if you have a lot of devices or are doing video streaming.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)