My friends really bad PC has something I have not seen before

So........I'm confused by this symbol...

My friend has incredibly unreliable internet and when looking into his router and connection, I discovered this logo. Any idea? ( one next to Broadband connection )

_5ebec1977626b7fc86c759f3485feb4f-png.jpg

On 2/4/2017 at 4:30 PM, JamesHewitt said:

So........I'm confused by this symbol...

My friend has incredibly unreliable internet and when looking into his router and connection, I discovered this logo. Any idea? ( one next to Broadband connection )

_5ebec1977626b7fc86c759f3485feb4f-png.jpg

LOL

The days of dialup.

Those were dark times...

My native language is C++

Wait so...is this seriously dial up? He's insisting it isn't dial up. Anyway to be sure? I can't see very well due to tears of laughter btw.

If his PC has a 56K modem installed then I'd imagine that'd be showing up.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, JamesHewitt said:

Wait so...is this seriously dial up? He's insisting it isn't dial up. Anyway to be sure? I can't see very well due to tears of laughter btw.

don't use windows 10 - but looks very similar to the dialup logo - probably is dial up - although i don't see how he could even have dialup unless you live in rural russia

He lives in a rather...poor quality large town in England so probably worse than rural Russia.

It can't be fibre either cause...

1df09ccb5037eeaea06439373775f531.png

if the computer is configured to connect directly to the modem, and is using PPPoE, then you will get that logo. PPPoE is technically an "on-demand" connection, that uses terms from telephony like "circuits" and "dialing". This is because PPP was designed for the connection to be set up when you want to transfer data, and disconnected when done. PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) uses most of the same connection/disconnection and data transfer functionality, even if the connections are typically left connected at all times. Hence why the logo is still similar to Dialup. Also, to this day even in Windows 10, the backend application used to set up PPPoE is the same as the one used to set up dialup (for those dialup providers that work with the builtin Windows client).

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

-gets dial up-

-wonders why his internet connection is absolute utter garbage-