Z-Wave Lamp

Scheer

I'm slowly converting my house over to have everything automated, and surprisingly haven't been able to find any Z-Wave lamps available. Until now I had been using the connected bulbs in normal lamps, but the issue is that if someone physically turns the switch off there is no way to turn it back on via the automation system. Recently Phillips released a Hue lamp, but they want $250-$300 for them which I find utterly ridiculous for a small relay, Z-wave/Zigbee chip, light, and some plastic... so I figured I'd try to make my own.

Basically I'm going to be stuffing a Aeon micro dimmer into a lamp: https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Z-Wave-Micro-Dimmer-2nd/dp/B00IRI1CEK/

I have an old lamp from my wife's grandparents that their hunting dog attacked and messed up the birds feathers so it was going to be thrown away, I really liked the cedar column as it was the start of a burl has a nice unique look.

IMG_20170131_182828205_HDR.jpg

The base was chopped off and a piece of rough Walnut was planed down and sized for a base, I left the live edge on the front and cleaned it up with steel wool so it was somewhat rough but will still be easy to dust and clean.

IMG_20170131_213757097.jpg

The bottom of the base was pocketed to fit the Aeon switch with a hole for a LED vandal switch to be installed so there is still local on/off control.

IMG_20170131_213745239_HDR.jpg

Electronics were tested for function, and thankfully the LED does light. Aeon's documentation says the 3V out is only for use with their touch panel which has some switches on the bottom of it for settings so I was slightly concerned they might be doing some data communication for when the LED is on or off, but turns out it is simply one of the contacts is always a return path and the other contact is only a return path when the switch is depressed. So if you want the LED on all the time wire positive to 3V and return to the middle contact.

IMG_20170204_131522600.jpg

Now I sit and wait for the poly to dry so that I can get the column mounted onto the base.... only a few coats left and I'm cheating and using wipe-on poly (dries a lot faster, but they are very thin coats that don't take much abuse) so hopefully I'll be able to get it finished yet today.

IMG_20170204_125654469.jpg

15 minutes ago, Scheer said:

I'm slowly converting my house over to have everything automated, and surprisingly haven't been able to find any Z-Wave lamps available. Until now I had been using the connected bulbs in normal lamps, but the issue is that if someone physically turns the switch off there is no way to turn it back on via the automation system. Recently Phillips released a Hue lamp, but they want $250-$300 for them which I find utterly ridiculous for a small relay, Z-wave/Zigbee chip, light, and some plastic... so I figured I'd try to make my own.

Basically I'm going to be stuffing a Aeon micro dimmer into a lamp: https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Z-Wave-Micro-Dimmer-2nd/dp/B00IRI1CEK/

do you know if that dimmer works with the amazon echo? it would be ideal for me :D 

3 hours ago, lolimpol said:

do you know if that dimmer works with the amazon echo? it would be ideal for me :D 

Not without a hub between it and the Echo, as it runs on the Z-wave protocol. I'm using a Smartthings hub along with an Echo for voice control.

12 hours ago, Scheer said:

Not without a hub between it and the Echo, as it runs on the Z-wave protocol. I'm using a Smartthings hub along with an Echo for voice control.

ok, thanks