MoraisGT
Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,
23 hours ago, MoraisGT said:

-snip-

What brand drive is it? WD? Seagate?

If WD, use Lifeguard Diagnostics and the extended test

If Seagate, use Seatools and run the long generic test

If HGST, use WinDFT and run the extended test

These tests scan the drive end to end. If it passes, it's safe to use.

My failing WD Black made a unique tick-tick-tick sound. It was hitting something and it was pretty obvious.

Also, you might use Crystal Disk info to check the SMART data...or screenshot it here.

Hi guys,

Recently my HDD started making a ticking noise, and I don't know if it's an early sign that I should get it replaced.

Here's the video:

What do you guys think?

my 8 yr old drive makes ticking noise too...it happens when the drive gets old...all the bearing and stuffs starts to get eroded and its supposed to be a sign your drive is going to fail but then again mines ticking away for atleast 3 years now, but daum your drive is not making ticking noise ..its grinding hard. if you have warranty left of course replace it. if not make a backup of your essentials and continue using it until it fails:P

15 minutes ago, Hunter06 said:

my 8 yr old drive makes ticking noise too...it happens when the drive gets old...all the bearing and stuffs starts to get eroded and its supposed to be a sign your drive is going to fail but then again mines ticking away for atleast 3 years now, but daum your drive is not making ticking noise ..its grinding hard. if you have warranty left of course replace it. if not make a backup of your essentials and continue using it until it fails:P

Thank's for the reply!

No it does not have warranty anymore. I bought it as a recertified unit in November 2013 :P

23 hours ago, MoraisGT said:

-snip-

My failing WD Black made a unique tick-tick-tick sound. It was hitting something and it was pretty obvious.

Also, you might use Crystal Disk info to check the SMART data...or screenshot it here.

18 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

It's a Seagate Recertified drive.

I'm using Antergos so I can't use the Seagatetools software, nevertheless I have other tools that do an extensive test of the drive.

But here is the SMART data:

djM89YN.png

1 minute ago, MoraisGT said:

-snip-

Yeah, judging from the SMART data alone, it's in good shape. No SMART errors at all or anything that would point out a failing drive. The only value I find strange is the Seek Error rate...should be 0.

6 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, judging from the SMART data alone, it's in good shape. No SMART errors at all or anything that would point out a failing drive. The only value I find strange is the Seek Error rate...should be 0.

As I understand, that value refers to the drive making errors when seeking a track, as has to re-seek in order to write/read in the right location correct?

Well, it should not mess with the integrety of the data but in may impact performance....

Just to be safe I ordered a Seagate IronWolf 4TB and when it arrives I'm going to move the data to it.

It may seem a weird choice of a drive but I'm planning to build my own NAS in the future :)

Thank you for your help @scottyseng ;)

1 minute ago, MoraisGT said:

-snip-

Yeah, it should've have that crazy amount of seeking errors. It shouldn't mess with the data as you said, the SMART values related to sectors (uncorrectable / reallocated) are the ones you worry about.

It's better to be safe than sorry with data. That new Seagate should be fine.