Best Editor for Linux

Undertaker225
Go to solution Solved by Pinguinsan,

What distro? For quick, I always use Vim. For anything multi-file, I use Visual Studio Code (built on Atom, I think). For a full fledged IDE, I use Qt Creator (C/C++)

Hello everyone,

I have started to use Linux to try and expand my knowledge of Operating Systems. I would still like to be productive in my programming though, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good Text Editor for Linux. I prefer Atom, but I am having trouble installing it with the help that is online, my issue seems isolated.

Thank you,

Undertaker225.

What distro? For quick, I always use Vim. For anything multi-file, I use Visual Studio Code (built on Atom, I think). For a full fledged IDE, I use Qt Creator (C/C++)

I always use atom.io, I just like the open project where it has the file tree on the left and tabs.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Sublime, Emacs, and VIM are favorites. 

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

On the command line, nano is good to start with--it's simple and very quick to learn.  vi/vim is the next command line one to jump to.  It's got a noticeably steeper learning curve, though.

For GUI-bound ones, whatever your distro comes with is probably fine--GEDIT on GNOME-based desktop environments is super solid, but Atom is also really nice (but won't come pre-installed on any distros as far as I know).

Don't even start using Atom. A text editor running on the easiest malware target (namely, a Webkit engine) is a horrible idea. If you can't see why, Linux may or may not be the wrong system for you.

Write in C.