Pc randomly freezes including bios

Yo, I need some help troubleshooting my pc.

Yesterday my pc started freezing up, this happened right after I installed 7zip and powerdvd15, so I quickly uninstalled them again, but the problem still persisted. I checked my temps everything looked good and well within its max tdp. After that I rolled back my OC and reset everything, that made no diffrance (UEFI bios even froze at one point during this). Then today I reinstalled my windows total clean install (drivers are all updated), problem still there. Then I ran the memory checker from windows 0 errors where found. Then I checked my system drive 0 errors found. So now I'm currently banging my head against my desk woohoo fml.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Components:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula

RAM: G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-3200 C14 16Gb

GPU: Gigabyte 980Ti

Case:  Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX

Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2, Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

5 minutes ago, NightMiu said:

Yo, I need some help troubleshooting my pc.

Yesterday my pc started freezing up, this happened right after I installed 7zip and powerdvd15, so I quickly uninstalled them again, but the problem still persisted. I checked my temps everything looked good and well within its max tdp. After that I rolled back my OC and reset everything, that made no diffrance (UEFI bios even froze at one point during this). Then today I reinstalled my windows total clean install (drivers are all updated), problem still there. Then I ran the memory checker from windows 0 errors where found. Then I checked my system drive 0 errors found. So now I'm currently banging my head against my desk woohoo fml.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Components:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula

RAM: G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-3200 C14 16Gb

GPU: Gigabyte 980Ti

Case:  Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX

Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2, Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

If i were you i would hit it with the good ole reinstall of windows

2 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

If i were you i would hit it with the good ole reinstall of windows

I did...

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

2 minutes ago, NightMiu said:

I did...

He means TOTAL reinstall. Take a picture of your windows key, and wipe the drive and reinstall it from an external source.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

4 minutes ago, JR8 said:

He means TOTAL reinstall. Take a picture of your windows key, and wipe the drive and reinstall it from an external source.

That was what I did.

do you have a spare hdd preferiably with loaded os???

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

2 minutes ago, gchan985 said:

do you have a spare hdd preferiably with loaded os???

Yes I do, but I don't think it is windows that's the problem since it froze in the uefi bios, I*m leaning towards component failure, the fact that it froze after the install of 7zip and powerdvd could be a total coincidence.

4 minutes ago, NightMiu said:

Yes I do, but I don't think it is windows that's the problem since it froze in the uefi bios, I*m leaning towards component failure, the fact that it froze after the install of 7zip and powerdvd could be a total coincidence.

sounds like a drive could be having issues when reading, could be possible bad sectors

Edited by gchan985
more detail

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

6 hours ago, gchan985 said:

sounds like a drive could be having issues when reading, could be possible bad sectors

Tried with a second windows install on a separate drive, the problem still persist. Which again makes me lean towards a hw component that is failing.

I*m still up for more suggestions ppl.

6 hours ago, NightMiu said:

6 hours ago, gchan985 said:

It won't be a drive that's at fault. That's not loaded in bios.

Only thing that will cause a bios to crash is either a bad component or bad setup.

When I crashed in bios (many years ago) was because the RAM wasn't set up correctly. 

It's not a race to the bottom.

1 minute ago, 0x1e said:

It won't be a drive that's at fault. That's not loaded in bios.

Only thing that will cause a bios to crash is either a bad component or bad setup.

When I crashed in bios (many years ago) was because the RAM wasn't set up correctly. 

The thing is the system have worked for almost a year, and than this is suddenly happening. My problem now is figuring out which component is failing. I doubt it is the ram cause I've already tried the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool which gave me 0 errors.

I've recently started playing H1Z1 King of the kill, could that game have a memory leak that would freeze my system?

Edit: Pc freezes aprox. 5-10min after I've launched the game. I'm running stress tests now to see if I can replicate the freezes.

Edit:2 No problem replicating the problem with Vally and aida64 running at the same time, gonna test aida64 alone now

44 minutes ago, NightMiu said:

The thing is the system have worked for almost a year, and than this is suddenly happening. My problem now is figuring out which component is failing. I doubt it is the ram cause I've already tried the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool which gave me 0 errors.

Windows mem tool is a joke and should not be taken seriously.

Even then, the same as memtest86 it will only detect faulty ram, not incorrect settings.

Not saying that's the problem but just pointing that out. 

26 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

Windows mem tool is a joke and should not be taken seriously.

Even then, the same as memtest86 it will only detect faulty ram, not incorrect settings.

Not saying that's the problem but just pointing that out. 

Aight I'll try out memtest86. But I stress tested the cpu, fpu, cache and ram in aiada64 for 14hours.

Just finished some more testing, can't crash it in aida64, but I can crash it in vally, (benchmark tool, gpu temp was 76c) so it points me towards gpu/psu/mobo problem.

I'll add some pictures of the temps maybe you guys can spot something I overlooked. The pics are from my second freeze when I was playing H1Z1 (if the pictures are hard to see zoom in on them)

Spoiler

2.jpg1.jpg

5 hours ago, NightMiu said:

Aight I'll try out memtest86. But I stress tested the cpu, fpu, cache and ram in aiada64 for 14hours.

Just finished some more testing, can't crash it in aida64, but I can crash it in vally, (benchmark tool, gpu temp was 76c) so it points me towards gpu/psu/mobo problem.

I'll add some pictures of the temps maybe you guys can spot something I overlooked. The pics are from my second freeze when I was playing H1Z1 (if the pictures are hard to see zoom in on them)

IS there a specific point where it crashes?

Watch the GPU Mhz with AB, does the clocks ramp up or down just before it crashes?

However the GPU shouldn't have any effect on the bios as it's not really loaded. It does no work without the drivers, it instead just pipes the graphics from the CPU.

6 hours ago, 0x1e said:

IS there a specific point where it crashes?

Watch the GPU Mhz with AB, does the clocks ramp up or down just before it crashes?

However the GPU shouldn't have any effect on the bios as it's not really loaded. It does no work without the drivers, it instead just pipes the graphics from the CPU.

I ran 3 tests, the pc freezes between 9 and 14 minutes, that's the only consistent "data" I've been able to find so far. Gpu looks good mem and clock frec looks good to. I'll add pictures from my last test (test 3) after 5min into the test and when it froze.

I also tested my ram with memtest86 while I was sleeping, it came out clean 0 errors.

Spoiler 1: When the pc froze.

Spoiler

Test 3 Bilde 2 Comp.jpgTest 3 Comp.jpg

Spoiler 2: 5 min into the test.

Spoiler

Test 3 Bilde 2 etter 5min Comp.jpgTest 3 etter 5min Comp.jpg

Removed the gpu and ran tests with integrated graphics, worked fine. Placed the gpu back in and the problem is back.

Increased the voltage on my gpu by 10mV in afterburner, running fine again now. Seems like the gpu is dying.