One computer kills entire network

Go to solution Solved by hardtofindinthefuture,

Thow it out the window

Problem solved

Okay, so my brother and i have custom gaming PC's and when we are both playing games everything is fine no matter what we're playing. We have probably about 20 different devices in our house all of which i had streaming youtube at the same time to prove that they were not causing the problem. This includes other tower PC's, laptops, tablets, roku, dell blade servers, phones, and basically anything else that connects to the internet. All of this is connected to a Netgear Nighthawk and a 200mb/s connection. Most of the devices are on the 2.4ghz network, some are on the 5ghz. 

For some reason when my sister connects her ancient piece of crap dell laptop and tries playing the game "Roblox", whatever net work she is connected to, whether it be 2.4 or 5ghz, the entire network goes up in flames. 7000+ ms latency to google, and basically every single other problem you can imagine.

The computer has a link speed to the router of 54mb/s which is abysmal compared to most of the other devices which are 300mb/s and some up to 1.4gb/s. The offender is a Dell XPS M1710 and i hate this thing so much. Please help me fix this problem or im going to go insane. 

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

Probably some sort of network flood. Have you not run a wireshark capture with her on the network? I would expect that someone who owns dell blade servers would have thought to have run a wireshark...

My native language is C++

Thow it out the window

Problem solved

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

1 minute ago, tt2468 said:

Probably some sort of network flood. Have you not run a wireshark capture with her on the network? I would expect that someone who owns dell blade servers would have thought to have run a wireshark...

I've thought of it plenty of times, just haven't done it yet.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pleeper said:

Okay, so my brother and i have custom gaming PC's and when we are both playing games everything is fine no matter what we're playing. We have probably about 20 different devices in our house all of which i had streaming youtube at the same time to prove that they were not causing the problem. This includes other tower PC's, laptops, tablets, roku, dell blade servers, phones, and basically anything else that connects to the internet. All of this is connected to a Netgear Nighthawk and a 200mb/s connection. Most of the devices are on the 2.4ghz network, some are on the 5ghz. 

For some reason when my sister connects her ancient piece of crap dell laptop and tries playing the game "Roblox", whatever net work she is connected to, whether it be 2.4 or 5ghz, the entire network goes up in flames. 7000+ ms latency to google, and basically every single other problem you can imagine.

The computer has a link speed to the router of 54mb/s which is abysmal compared to most of the other devices which are 300mb/s and some up to 1.4gb/s. The offender is a Dell XPS M1710 and i hate this thing so much. Please help me fix this problem or im going to go insane. 

That machine is from 2005. Wireless N didn't come out till 2009. So that laptop has a Wireless G 54 Mbps card in it. One option is upgrade with a USB wireless network card. The issue you have, is the computer is so old, that they might not make internal cards that fit that standard. The other issue is, you will need a USB 2.0 port at least for the upgrade to be work while. Basically the Wireless G device is slowing down the entire 2.4 Ghz network. 

Another issue is maybe that computer in question has some type of virus or something on it. Have you tried connecting the laptop wired? Just to take wireless out of the equation? If not, I would try, if it still fucks up the network, then there is an issue with that computer. You might try scanning it with Avast anti virus and Malwarebytes. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Would perform a WireShark capture on the network while she is connected, sounds like broadcast spam to me from something running on that machine (may not be the game).

Perform a 15 minute packet capture while the symptoms are occurring, I would also check if the issue occurs when she is connected via a physical cable.. easy to test with a laptop.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Make sure UPNP is disabled, that may be causing some issues.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

4 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Can´t you not simple restrict the internetraffic her PC is able to use?

Not all routers can do it well. Most routers are have access or no access during these days and times. With Firmware's like DDWRT you can restrict based on services. For example you can set it to block all P2P traffic. The big issue is not the fact this is happening. Its why is this happening. Something on her computer has to be loading the network with traffic. The OP needs to figure out what it is. 

But, in many cases when you connect to a router with a lower WiFi standard that radio operates at that lower standard until that machine is no longer connected. So while her machine is connected the 2.4 Ghz radio could be dropped to 54 Mbps. I believe that Mu MIMO is suppose to stop this from happening. But, older routers like mine, dont have those features. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thank you all for your replies! Will start working to find a solution as soon as the problem occurs again.