windows 10 home

Fr0sty22
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

No it can only be activated on one PC at a time. One of the computers will end up unactivated.

i want to do a new build and i was wondering if i can use the same windows key on a other system while still keeping my old one. its a build for my dad and hes going to use a different Microsoft account. will that affect anything. btw i have windows 10 on a usb stick from the system im using rn. 

No Windows is suppose to be on one machine onnly

2 minutes ago, d3sl91 said:

No. Not Legally. 

idc if its 'illegal' can i thats what im asking

3 minutes ago, Fr0sty22 said:

idc if its 'illegal' can i thats what im asking

well we do, and piracy is against the TOS of using this website.

The correct answer is: NO YOU CAN NOT.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, d3sl91 said:

Forum guidelines do care.

But no. It will give an error saying it is in use. 

that dumb i payed for window 8 back in 2014 and i cant use my own code over and over again. what if i use it in my own Microsoft account. so same account just different pcs, but same code

2 minutes ago, Fr0sty22 said:

that dumb i payed for window 8 back in 2014 and i cant use my own code over and over again. what if i use it in my own Microsoft account. so same account just different pcs, but same code

Is it OEM or Retail?

No.  The key is linked to the hardware ID on Microsoft's activation server.  As soon as your new install goes online, it is going to be flagged.

If it is OEM, you'll be prompted to buy a new key.  If you have a retail key, it'll ask you to activate another way, which will move the key over to the new hardware and causing the old PC to have the same warning triggered.

One key, one machine.

5 minutes ago, Fr0sty22 said:

what are you 12? this is how buying things works. you don't get to thief a set of ear-buds from the store simply because you bought a set of them a long time ago...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

If it is OEM, you'll be prompted to buy a new key.  If you have a retail key, it'll ask you to activate another way, which will move the key over to the new hardware and causing the old PC to have the same warning triggered.

I didn't realize OEM and Retail treated moving systems differently. Good to know!

I mean, technically it is against the TOS for OEM to be used for personal use - so - guess I cannot be mad if my key doesn't switch systems. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

No.  The key is linked to the hardware ID on Microsoft's activation server.  As soon as your new install goes online, it is going to be flagged.

One key, one machine.

i bought a pc a while ago and ive been using the same key scene ive bought the cyberton pc back in 2014

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

what are you 12? this is how buying things works. you don't get to thief a set of ear-buds from the store simply because you bought a set of them a long time ago...

DUDE i just want to save money jesus.

3 minutes ago, d3sl91 said:

I didn't realize OEM and Retail treated moving systems differently. Good to know!

I mean, technically it is against the TOS for OEM to be used for personal use - so - guess I cannot be mad if my key doesn't switch systems. 

ok thx i wont do it ill just buy a new key

8 minutes ago, Fr0sty22 said:

that dumb i payed for window 8 back in 2014

No you didn't.

What you paid for was a license to use Win 8 on one machine.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

3 minutes ago, soup said:

No you didn't.

What you paid for was a license to use Win 8 on one machine.

ya and when i built a new pc i kept my hdd and windows works fine. i guess when you clean a hdd it sets that windows key user back to 0 users every time you where to clean it

No it can only be activated on one PC at a time. One of the computers will end up unactivated.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

well, you shouldnt have to use the same key, im using a key from a pc that was gutted for parts as of Microsofts instructions, they said as long as i had any windows product key i could activate windows.. from the mouth of Microsoft employee, id call that legal and legit

5 hours ago, Fr0sty22 said:

i used my key from windows 8 on 3 different PCs, i spent 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft for one time so they could do some goofy work around in 8.1 and my original install of 10 was an upgrade off that key.. it may not be worth the time to sit on the phone with Microsoft CS that long but they will let you use your keys over and over if the old PC is dead/gone