Help! Is my CPU dead?

Hi guys!

I am building a new PC for a friend. It includes these specs:

Intel i5-7400 (Kaby Lake)

Asus Z170-A (With an updated BIOS to v. 3007)

Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6GB DUAL

Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 RAM

Corsair VS550 PSU

Kingston 120 GB SSD

I have gotten a new updated BIOS chip, which supports the CPU. The 8-pin CPU power connector has been inserted. The CPU fan spins on boot.  I have double checked that the CPU is positioned correctly, and no pins on the socket has been bent. I have reset the CMOS in multiple different ways. The RAM is also installed correctly I have also tried booting with all allowed configurations of RAM. Also the motherboard speaker is silent when trying to boot.

Now to the issues I am having. The system does not post, even when I have taken out the graphics card.

And the CPU error LED is continuously shining with a bright red light.

Thank you in advance,

- A very frustrated Dane

16426627_10206623323582354_589072522_n.jpg

The CPU probably is damaged. Have you got another Skylake chip to test the mobo? And the power supply is very, very bad, just change it to something like a Seasonic M12ii, that won't most likely blow up and take some of the components.

The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.

Im assuming you removed the old bios chip and installed the new one, so have you tried re-seating the bios chip, and are you also certain you didn't muddle the 2 up and install the old one again 

Why? just... Why? a Skylake OC ready motherboard for a Kaby Lake Locked CPU, I just can't understand it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Why? just... Why? a Skylake OC ready motherboard for a Kaby Lake Locked CPU, I just can't understand it.

Yup, I was puzzled as well, because i did not decide what components to buy (a third person did). He told me he bought it because it was "cheaper".

1 minute ago, WayTooMuchCandy said:

Yup, I was puzzled as well, because i did not decide what components to buy (a third person did). He told me he bought it because it was "cheaper".

Oh well... you could be having some sort of compatibility issue, even if updating the bios to be Kaby Lake ready it is never a full guarantee... we get back to that old saying "want something well done, do it yourself xD"

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, WayTooMuchCandy said:

Once the system boots, will you change the bootup chime to the Derp song?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

11 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Im assuming you removed the old bios chip and installed the new one, so have you tried re-seating the bios chip, and are you also certain you didn't muddle the 2 up and install the old one again 

I have install the correct BIOS chip, reseating it did not work.

13 minutes ago, elvaldo03 said:

The CPU probably is damaged. Have you got another Skylake chip to test the mobo? And the power supply is very, very bad, just change it to something like a Seasonic M12ii, that won't most likely blow up and take some of the components.

Yup, that is also what i think is the case, I am slowly filling out a RMA form. 

Yup, that is also what i think is the case, I am slowly filling out a RMA form. 

Its unlikely its the cpu, personally i would just return the motherboard and get one with out of the box compatibility for kaby lake 

8 hours ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Its unlikely its the cpu, personally i would just return the motherboard and get one with out of the box compatibility for kaby lake 

RMA'ed both the MB and CPU.

3 minutes ago, Dango said:

Re-install the BIOS. For me, its BIOS issue not CPU.

It is not possible to reinstall BIOS, as it doesn't even POST.

It is not possible to reinstall BIOS, as it doesn't even POST.

ASUS MOBO have BIOS flash back. It does not require CPU.

5 minutes ago, Dango said:

ASUS MOBO have BIOS flash back. It does not require CPU.

This board requires a component from ASUS to use the FLBK_HEADER on the board. ASUS has never brought the component to market. Which is quite stupid. As explained on other forums.

7 minutes ago, WayTooMuchCandy said:

This board requires a component from ASUS to use the FLBK_HEADER on the board. ASUS has never brought the component to market. Which is quite stupid.

OK is see. Ask Asus support team for a new BIOS chip, they should just send you a new one for free.