Gigabyte Warranty Question

Hi Guys, so I have a rather strange question. I recently got myself a Gigabyte P57x laptop to be able to game while working away from home for a couple of months. Now this thing is a monster in it own right however it does get a tad warm, like 100c thermal throttling on the CPU warm under a combined aida64 test (the GPU never goes above 85c and is rock solid at 1800mhz).

Now I did get myself a Coolermaster Ergostand III to help cool it down a tad, and while it helps, the CPU is still whay to warm. My next step will be to change the thermal paste, which I can only do when I am back home. My question is, does Gigabytes warranty allow me to change the TIM, I know that I can swap SSD's, HDD, M.2 drives and RAM without voiding anything but I am not sure about the cooling solution. From the pictures online I cannot see any warranty stickers on the screws to the cooler and I cannot open the laptop where I am at the moment to check. Does anyone here know if its ok to try this?

P.S. My Gigabyte 980ti allows the removal of the cooler under the warranty as far as I am aware, only MSI in my experience had a issue with that.

I have no idea, try looking at the papers which came with laptop if you find nothing, simply call support.

no tamper evident screws or stickers go for it but dont damage the screws, use the right screw driver and no one will know.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

May I ask why you don't just contact Gigabyte support over this issue? If something is genuently wrong with getting these temperatures a repair/replacement should be covered under warranty and if nothing is wrong with it just replacing thermal paste won't do you any good anyways.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

35 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

May I ask why you don't just contact Gigabyte support over this issue? If something is genuently wrong with getting these temperatures a repair/replacement should be covered under warranty and if nothing is wrong with it just replacing thermal paste won't do you any good anyways.

I may go down this route, the thing is, under normal use the temperatures are quite normal for a gaming laptop (although the CPU is always hotter than the GPU) typically around the 70c range when playing demanding games (Fallout 4 for example) but Witcher 3 is the worst I've seen. Running the GPU at 79-82C and the CPU at 92-98c which based on reviews that I have seen is "normal" for the laptop. (also I have not seen any slowdowns when running that hot, GPU is well over the stock boost clock and the CPU never drops below 2.8 on all 4 cores, running at 3.2 untill it reaches 100c when it starts to drop). 

So in short, there is nothing particularly wrong with the laptop, its just hot, and I know that laptop manufacturers tend to use "lower" grade TIM and just changing that can yield up to 15c lower temps (a buddy of mine changed the tim on his 2 year old ASUS laptop and saw the 15c drop, just to clarify his temps did not change in the entire 2 years that he had the laptop untill he changed the TIM)

But I'll give the local Gigabyte Service center a call and find out if it would be worth it to try and change the TIM or if I can just take it to them and have it done.