Video Editing Laptop

ZeusXI

Friend is looking for a laptop that can do video editing. im looking at the min req that is needs. i7 quad core 2.3Ghz, 16GB RAM, GT 950M, and possibly an SSD.

price range is up to 700$ if that helps. and ive already tried reasoning to him about getting a desktop, but he would rather have a laptop and i cant talk him out of it.

I would be verry shocked if he can find a new laptop or desktop with those specs for under 800 USD.

Computers r fun

Unfriend him. Any screen size preference? Weight? Connectors? 

laptops have their own positive and desktops have their own positives, yes a desktop would be much more powerful but a laptop is portable. in the end it's up to him what he wants, I love a long battery life laptop and a powerful desktop. 

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

laptops have their own positive and desktops have their own positives, yes a desktop would be much more powerful but a laptop is portable. in the end it's up to him what he wants, I love a long battery life laptop and a powerful desktop. 

I find my Microsoft Surface 4 and Desktop make a great pair.

But you can't get much for 700.

Computers r fun

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Unfriend him. Any screen size preference? Weight? Connectors? 

doesnt care about specs really. HDMI, maybe a USB 3.0 port (at least 2x2.0 ports) he just wants to video edit. 

1 minute ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I find my Microsoft Surface 4 and Desktop make a great pair.

yup i have a 15 inch 2013 retina MacBook running windows paired with my desktop. i also love my setup. in my opinion "gaming laptop" are a hassle unless you travel a lot. short battery life and the weight is just too much. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

yup i have a 15 inch 2013 retina MacBook running windows paired with my desktop. i also love my setup. in my opinion "gaming laptop" are a hassle unless you travel a lot. short battery life and the weight is just too much. 

And laptops have lesser components with higher prices.

Computers r fun

2 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

its not for games. its for video editing

you understand video editing is not magical thing right, get the laptop with an i7 and a 950 or  dell inspiron and get an ssd and 16 gb of ram. 

would a low-mid tier GPU like a 950M even benefit him in video production?
is that GPU supported for GPU acceleration in his application? (adobe?)

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Maybe a zenbook? Razer if he wants to save up?

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

37 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Here is a quad core but with no ssd and 8gb. Most games don't need more anyway. 

https://m.newegg.com/product/index?itemnumber=N82E16834890015R

Just so you know, that laptop does have an SSD:

"8 GB DDR4 Memory 1 TB HDD 128 GB SSD"

You could edit on that, certainly. RAM is a bit low for my taste, but I wonder if it's user upgradable? Given the form factor, I would think yes. It also has a 960M, which despite the lower VRAM (2GB), should still be faster then the 950M 4GB.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Just so you know, that laptop does have an SSD:

"8 GB DDR4 Memory 1 TB HDD 128 GB SSD"

You could edit on that, certainly. RAM is a bit low for my taste, but I wonder if it's user upgradable? Given the form factor, I would think yes. It also has a 960M, which despite the lower VRAM (2GB), should still be faster then the 950M 4GB.

My phone did not show up the SSD.

Anyway the RAM is upgradable as shown in this review

http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/asus-fz50vw-review/

7 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

My phone did not show up the SSD.

Anyway the RAM is upgradable as shown in this review

http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/asus-fz50vw-review/

That might be the better deal then. Even as an Open Box, it should still have the 1 year (or longer) manufacturers warranty.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I would avoid the ASUS F5Z0VW, since it uses one of the very poor quality TN 1080p displays that panel manufacturers have been putting out lately. The other specs might look nice, but I think it's important to avoid the laptop based on that. Especially for video editing, but in general I think the difference between a good display and a not-so-good one is one of the most noticeable. Avoid it unless you plan on replacing the display in whatever laptop you get with a 72% gamut IPS FHD anyway.

If you can go slightly over, this Dell Inspiron 7559 could work: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Quad-Core-i5-6300HQ-Processor/dp/B015PYYDMQ/

1920x1080 IPS (good contrast and viewing angles, albeit only 45% NTSC gamut), GTX 960M, i5-6300HQ quad